Ian Futers' Profileration of Layouts

Lacathedrale

8 hours ago, PMP said:

Yep just three, I have cut two other points to make representations of catch points, but the 'operating' points are just the three you see in the image. Here's a YT video of the operation while under test, 

Thank you, that shows how simple but adaptable and operational his plans are. My latest layout is the same basic plan but with a tweak. 

I'll look forward to seeing more of Shelfie3.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, sb67 said:

Thank you, that shows how simple but adaptable and operational his plans are. My latest layout is the same basic plan but with a tweak. 

I'll look forward to seeing more of Shelfie3.

This isn’t one of Ian’s plans, it’s mine. I’m pretty sure Ian hasn’t  used this configuration in a layout that’s been exhibited or published. The concept I used was based on Banbury Merton Street, and a section from a CJ Freezer plan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Ian spoke at a British Railway Modellers of Australia Convention here in Melbourne Australia a number of years ago and I ended up building a small O gauge exhibition layout with 2 points.  8' (2.4m) x 1'6" (450mm).  Fits in the back of my car (Estate in UK Station Wagon in OZ). This inspired a number of others to get into O gauge.  So his tenticles/inspiration has invaded the antipides.  I should add I am planning to extend and have a third point.

Mark

P8200720.JPG

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

I'm also a big fan of Ian's layout, my favourites being Newcastle Haymarket and Victoria Park, both of which I've been lucky enough to see. I'm intrigued by the curved version of Haymarket that was teased in the November 2020 Railway Modeller. I've waited patiently for this to appear, to no avail. Anyone know if its been featured or appeared anywhere and I've missed it?

3 hours ago, sleepyrider said:

I'm also a big fan of Ian's layout, my favourites being Newcastle Haymarket and Victoria Park, both of which I've been lucky enough to see. I'm intrigued by the curved version of Haymarket that was teased in the November 2020 Railway Modeller. I've waited patiently for this to appear, to no avail. Anyone know if its been featured or appeared anywhere and I've missed it?

I'm waiting for that too, it did look interesting.

5 hours ago, sleepyrider said:

I'm intrigued by the curved version of Haymarket that was teased in the November 2020 Railway Modeller.

To me it looked more like a curved version of Percy Street, which was modified by David Hampson to become Oldham King Street.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 23/09/2022 at 20:18, New Haven Neil said:

Ian is able to inject character into his layouts, seeming at will - not all of us are so able!

The circular layout really did something for me, and I only recall seeing one more elsewhere, a SR 3rd rail electric job.  Oh, Robin Hood's Bay too I suppose, but that was/is huge!

I have only just come across this interesting thread.

MidEssex MRC had a lovely circular layout (Blackwell Brewery). I can't quite date it - failing memory - but it may have predated Glen Douglas.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, SD85 said:

Does anyone remember Cold Harbour Lane? A NE based shed scene that turned up in RM in about 1998.

Must have missed that one! Did a search and apparently the track plan is very similar to this.

image.png.c1bafd04b72decbb36713f71cdf09110.png

Very intriguing, can't find any photo's but there was a thread on here on a layout based on the plan.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/81764-webb-lane/

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think I missed Cold Harbour Lane as well.  There are some pictures of it in the April 1998 Railway Modeller for anyone who wishes to look it up.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, sb67 said:

Must have missed that one! Did a search and apparently the track plan is very similar to this.

Very intriguing, can't find any photo's but there was a thread on here on a layout based on the plan.

He's been operating something similar to that recently as Lochty Lane in 7mm.

14 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Am I missing something, but how is this plan workable? The only access to the yard that I can see is via a spur that is less than a point long; hardly enough for an 0-4-0 loco. 

On Ian 's latest version, 'Lochty Lane' the spur is long enough to take one loco. Locos are simply shuffled on and off the layout.

Not one of my favourite Futers layouts. I prefer the 4mm version of 'Lochside' which started my interest in modern image modelling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alcanman said:

On Ian 's latest version, 'Lochty Lane' the spur is long enough to take one loco. Locos are simply shuffled on and off the layout.

Not one of my favourite Futers layouts. I prefer the 4mm version of 'Lochside' which started my interest in modern image modelling.

With his ability to spin up layouts I don't think he needs to worry about longevity of interest and it's a demonstration of 0 scale in a small space even though for many it would offer little interest.

There was also recently the Lochty Branch in O which whilst still very simple I could watch for ages.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Alcanman said:

Lochside was clearly very inspirational to a lot of us 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, sb67 said:

I thought that this looked familiar, this is more or less the same trackplan as is used on Byway MPD built by John Gay and published at least a couple of times, most recently in Hornby Mag Oct '23.

In 4mm he's fitted it into 4'6"x 1' and makes for a very nice layout on which to display a collection of locomotives. A much longer initial headshunt is used with a shorter one for access to the shed area.

Regards,

Ian. (A great fan of Ian Futer's layouts and articles.)

Edited by 03060
Extra info added or corrected.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ian has had books published by Santona — think they may have been taken over by Book Law. At a York show in the 2010s, there were mentions on his layout stand of forthcoming books on "Modelling the North Eastern Region" and "Modelling the West Highland line", but there's been no sign of them since.

• Agree 1

On 03/10/2022 at 21:19, PMP said:

Yep just three, I have cut two other points to make representations of catch points, but the 'operating' points are just the three you see in the image. Here's a YT video of the operation while under test, 

Just found this thread, and really like this trackplan and concept, I might have to try my own version of it.  Have to say, watching the DMU's snake in and out in that vid is quite hypnotic :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Ben B said:

Just found this thread, and really like this trackplan and concept, I might have to try my own version of it.  Have to say, watching the DMU's snake in and out in that vid is quite hypnotic :)

I was very pleasantly surprised by its operating potential. It’s currently on hold whilst I work on a very different style of presentation for it.

3AB60A61-80F5-491A-95B3-A6435E6AE330.jpeg.e93684cbd77c8724e1f9886c51f8feae.jpeg

Meanwhile I’ve returned to a Northumbrian project that I’ve had in mind for a long while which is influenced by Futers and Rice, but is a step away from their and my usual scales into N.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

There is no Doubt Ian has demonstrated over the years layouts don’t have to be over complicated with points and large construction. Ian has over  the  years migrated  the various scales and proved that interesting layouts can be built. Having spent ages observing him run Otterburn in 4mm scale , this still remains etched in my mind from the late 1970’s as a design with plenty of interest. Over the years Ian has produced several layouts including the venture into 7mm scale. I Seem to recall a 7mm version of Newcastle NB , this appeared in the late magazine of Model Railways Illustrated (MORIL) including an article on building 7mm rolling stock. If any followers have a copy of the article I would be interested in a copy off forum please. There is no doubt Ian has had a proliferation of layouts and many articles in the other magazines other than the Railway Modeller. With reductions in disposable income and the current costs of locomotives, be DCC or analogue, there appears to be a resurgence of simple layouts very much reflecting the experience Ian Futers has shared with the railway modelling community though the years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4