Ian Futers' Profileration of Layouts

Lacathedrale

Another coincidence, picking up March (?) 2000 RM here's another layout, half finished - St. Catherine for Loch Fife and Ian is already halfway through building Percy Street, the (even more) plausible version of Newcastle Haymarket. The guy doesn't give up, does he?

I'm interested about his switch from P4 to RTR 0, it seems to have been fairly early on so did he elaborate why at any point?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

ISTR that the first Ian Futers layout I saw was his most complicated — Scotsgap Junction. 11 points! I think it was at the York Show that was held at the Spring Bank Holiday instead of Easter (1987?) I do remember that on that occasion the weather was actually warmer at Easter. The show was still in central York in those days.

The last of his layouts I've seen (so far), also at York, was Fort William. There was publicity for his books and for two forthcoming books, "Modelling the West Highland Railway" and "Modelling the North Eastern Region". To the best of my knowledge they have never appeared, perhaps they will join Paul Karau's GWR Branchline Termini vol. 3 (mentioned in volume 2) in a list of "never-was" books.

Edited by D9020 Nimbus
Clarification
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

20 minutes ago, JohnR said:

The thing about Ian's output is sometimes layouts wernt about for long enough to get a write up in Railway Modeller!

Haha, RM still have one of mine from 2019 🤣 Kingsmill (Midland Road) TMD.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

The last of his layouts I've seen (so far), also at York, was Fort William. There was publicity for his books and for two forthcoming books, "Modelling the West Highland Railway" and "Modelling the North Eastern Region". To the best of my knowledge they have never appeared, perhaps they will join Paul Karau's GWR Branchline Termini vol. 3 (mentioned in volume 2) in a list of "never-was" books.

I'm another massive fan of Ian's layouts and books, one signed copy which he willingly did at an exhibition somewhere.

I asked him about the West Highland book a few years ago, I think he said that the bulk of the information was with the publishers but he didn't know if or when anything might get published so maybe it is the publishers (are Santona still going ?) that we should be prompting that there is definitely a market out here waiting to be satisfied. I didn't know about the North Eastern book but would definitely buy both, I enjoyed his short lived 7mm layout Kirk...... something or other which I think he sold on. Loch Lochy and Victoria Park were my favourites though.

Regards,

Ian.

• RMweb Premium

Every time I chat to Ian at a show, he is almost invariably already working on "the next one".

It is an interesting approach that I followed for quite a few years but I couldn't keep the pace up like he does. Producing layouts at a rate of approximately one a year is a good way to focus your mind and get the productivity levels up but I only managed it for about 7 or 8 years as I am basically too lazy.

I have always found his layouts interesting. They seem to have just enough operational potential to keep a weekend at a show interesting, with a bare minimum of track and points.

Inspired by both Ian and PMP of this parish, a "three point special" is underway at the moment.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Ian is able to inject character into his layouts, seeming at will - not all of us are so able!

The circular layout really did something for me, and I only recall seeing one more elsewhere, a SR 3rd rail electric job.  Oh, Robin Hood's Bay too I suppose, but that was/is huge!

I've followed Ian's layouts and designs since Glen Douglas and Ashleigh.

But ' BURNFOOT ' which appeared in 'Your Model Railway' June, 1985 is the one that did it for me, and used an extravagant  five turnouts.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I think they were taken over by BookLaw.

Unfortunately they are not at the Wigan show this year as they are attending Fareham show on the same dates, although they are at Stafford show tomorrow if anybody is willing to ask the question regarding any future 'Ian Futers' publications ?

Regards,

Ian.

• RMweb Premium
On 21/09/2022 at 13:24, Lacathedrale said:

@PMP it was Albion Yard that came up when I started looking for an online version of the Newcastle Haymarket pictures, and of course I forgot (assuming that's you!) that you also did the various Shelfie layouts which I had assumed were his too. Unless you are infact Ian in disguise? :)

I am guilty as charged regarding the Shelfie quartet as it is now, and on the Albion yard blog and in a good few of my magazine articles Ive referenced Ian as a significant influence over the course of my modelling. I can confirm that I'm not Ian in disguise, he's far more erudite than I could ever manage!

There is a connection between yourself and Shelfie3 (perhaps unrealised), and the influence of Mr Futers.

200FFAC2-C944-464F-8590-5D782ED5606A_1_201_a.jpeg.f938635b36b5532cbdd24d2b8c2e6a16.jpeg

The core layout structure is Tim Horn baseboards, they were bought second hand from a geezer at the end of lockdown, who lived not a million miles away from Surbiton.....

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
On 23/09/2022 at 07:31, Lacathedrale said:

I'm interested about his switch from P4 to RTR 0, it seems to have been fairly early on so did he elaborate why at any point?

Ian also did some modelling in European HO, it may have been after that he changed to O, he did mention it to me at one point but I can't recall. He didn't go straight into the use of RTR O, the first layouts were very much built using the rolling stock and locomotive kits available of the time. its only relatively recently that the RTR market has become more prevalent in his O gauge builds.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yes, I’m reading railway modeller magazines of the 2000’s - It seems that modelling in 7 mm scale was really a labour of love that point, with a possible exception of slaters kits.

I mean, it’s stayed at the same level that 00 gauge was in the 60s and 70s - And when one scale has a clear advantage in availability, you’ve really got to want to do the niche. I certainly could not do it with S scale!

Edited by Lacathedrale
  • Friendly/supportive 1

So much elegance seems to come from using this simple combination, for example Victoria Park

untitled.jpg.726ee1c7da45918eb5f8197dceb39091.jpg

Such a simple substitution, turnout to straight, and the trainset look is gone. It's the essence of the Minories throat isn't it.

Edited by SZ
  • Like 1

It has occurred to me that it is - rather scarily - 50 years since I bought my first Railway Modeller - September 1972.  This had the article about Ashleigh in it and remains one of my most well thumbed copies.  Ian is to me one of the most inspirational modelers of his generation, demonstrating how you can progress from 00 to P4 to 7mm. I have magazine copies of most of his layouts over the years.

I can remember seeing Otterburn in the late 70s at a local exhibition and watching it for ages......as I recall non compensated locos on P4!  This seem to burst the bubble of the finescale elite!  I only wish I could build something anywhere near as good....time is running out though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Having scraped through Otterburn articles in RM in both 4mm and 7mm, it looks lovely. It definitely has a 'big station' feel even though it's small, although I do note that there is a judicious use of what I've come to know as the "MRJ-Photo", i.e. very close in and cropped photography! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Had a pleasant chat with Ian today at Wigan, he had already been made aware of this thread by others.

I brought up the subject of the NE and WHL potential books and he confirmed that it is Booklaw who have the photographic material but haven't as of yet done anything with it so far so I think it is them we need to express our interests to.

Whilst not my favourite of his layouts Glebe Lane certainly has that 'Futers Layout Style' and I was rather taken with his Heljan Class 25 which both looked and sounded great although, it seems, I forgot to take any photos of it !

550A7D54-BA3D-423F-9C89-008497AA9170.jpeg

4A5BD2F4-51A5-4C49-9F80-742B3A3D269E.jpeg

FDB8912D-748F-41E1-B1A6-4786AA908CF2.jpeg

• Like 9

On 25/09/2022 at 08:54, PMP said:

I am guilty as charged regarding the Shelfie quartet as it is now, and on the Albion yard blog and in a good few of my magazine articles Ive referenced Ian as a significant influence over the course of my modelling. I can confirm that I'm not Ian in disguise, he's far more erudite than I could ever manage!

There is a connection between yourself and Shelfie3 (perhaps unrealised), and the influence of Mr Futers.

200FFAC2-C944-464F-8590-5D782ED5606A_1_201_a.jpeg.f938635b36b5532cbdd24d2b8c2e6a16.jpeg

The core layout structure is Tim Horn baseboards, they were bought second hand from a geezer at the end of lockdown, who lived not a million miles away from Surbiton.....

That top bit looks interesting and very Futeresque, are there just the three points in that plan? 

On 23/09/2022 at 20:45, br2975 said:

I've followed Ian's layouts and designs since Glen Douglas and Ashleigh.

But ' BURNFOOT ' which appeared in 'Your Model Railway' June, 1985 is the one that did it for me, and used an extravagant  five turnouts.

I remember Burnfoot, I'm sure I have the magazine article somewhere, I've struggled to find any photos of it though. I also liked Scotswood Road, another small urban station. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

That top bit looks interesting and very Futeresque, are there just the three points in that plan? 

Yep just three, I have cut two other points to make representations of catch points, but the 'operating' points are just the three you see in the image. Here's a YT video of the operation while under test, 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, 03060 said:

Whilst not my favourite of his layouts Glebe Lane certainly has that 'Futers Layout Style'

I saw the style and was about to mention it to the operator when I saw his name badge.  A reason why it was a Futers style layout.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3