Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Acceptable standards at exhibitions

3 minutes ago, C126 said:

I fear this will start another drift to 'contemporary dress standards' and the decline of the frock coat (the start of the rot, I.M.H.O.), but I am always glad to see at exhibitions an operating team in a matching 'ensemble', even if only a sweat-shirt with the club/ layout title on it.  Always impresses me, and shows effort.

I worked with a driver at garston depot who spent two weeks a year in Spain in full! Drivers uniform including hat...

Oh boy

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

I worked with a driver at garston depot who spent two weeks a year in Spain in full! Drivers uniform including hat...

Oh boy

If only Drivers still wore top hats... 🙂

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Oh boy

i have heard of drivers, probably not in uniform, being in Spain while being paid to be route-learning....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Oh boy

sounds more like a saltley man on a mileage turn 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

i have heard of drivers, probably not in uniform, being in Spain while being paid to be route-learning....

Oh yes remember watching grand national in TV room at garston....including managers as we had a group bet on and two drivers where on sick on TV waving at camera! 

Two drivers from a unnamed company should of been routes day....one had private pilots license went for a circuit in local area as had z hours wet rental booked landed after a airbus encountered wake turbulence on landing stuck it on nose! Local TV crew filming ! Two drivers in uniform disembark plane oops...red faced! 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, ardbealach said:

Getting back to acceptable standards at model railway shows.... I thought I should post this image of how our team present ourselves when we exhibit our Bewdley and Whithorn at exhibitions.

More recently it has been noticed that other layout operators are now beginning to follow our trend by wearing bow ties.  

First rate stuff. As I wear DJ and bow-tie as FoH for our AmDram group, and model layouts in exhibition are a form of theatre, I thoroughly approve of such sartorial elegance. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, ardbealach said:

Getting back to acceptable standards at model railway shows.... I thought I should post this image of how our team present ourselves when we exhibit our Bewdley and Whithorn at exhibitions.

More recently it has been noticed that other layout operators are now beginning to follow our trend by wearing bow ties.    [Alisdair]  

TEAM AT RAINHILL.jpg

You don't see many Barbershop singers anymore....

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

8 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

They'll have track-emptying toilets on BR Mk1 coaches next.  3D-printed "bangers and mash", as the guys in hi-viz used to call it.

They didn't mind when working there rest day's.....they got time and a turd pay!.....😂

Old one but a good one!

I did do a reverse flush from secret controls in a class 333 emu once in first weeks of service trying to keep the train in service as bog was blocked... apparently just shutting the toilet seat isn't sufficient to retain 'back presure' you have to fit a plastic cover and weights to seat.....a little knowledge is dangerous!  I have never seen a sight like it when I opened door! Defo bangers and mash....defo unblocked!☺️ use your imagination 

Edited by bradfordbuffer
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

They'll have track-emptying toilets on BR Mk1 coaches next.  3D-printed "bangers and mash", as the guys in hi-viz used to call it.

As most of my coaches rarely have passengers I have not found that a problem, the problem is the cows in the field.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, fulton said:

As most of my coaches rarely have passengers I have not found that a problem, the problem is the cows in the field.

I’m not letting the cows muck up my lovely fields, they can wait until they get to the dock 😆

2916960E-0C3D-4BEE-84B3-96DB687D28A5.jpeg.a4af5d91a4b676583e4e779c9a0f1fef.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, bradfordbuffer said:

They didn't mind when working there rest day's.....they got time and a turd pay!.....😂

Old one but a good one!

I did do a reverse flush from secret controls in a class 333 emu once in first weeks of service trying to keep the train in service as bog was blocked... apparently just shutting the toilet seat isn't sufficient to retain 'back presure' you have to fit a plastic cover and weights to seat.....a little knowledge is dangerous!  I have never seen a sight like it when I opened door! Defo bangers and mash....defo unblocked!☺️ use your imagination 

That's reminiscent of the German U-boat that met an ignominous end when a panicked sailor failed to follow the correct undersea toilet operating sequence.  The captain's name was, and I kid you not, Schlitt.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 08/11/2022 at 11:42, C126 said:

I fear this will start another drift to 'contemporary dress standards' and the decline of the frock coat (the start of the rot, I.M.H.O.), but I am always glad to see at exhibitions an operating team in a matching 'ensemble', even if only a sweat-shirt with the club/ layout title on it.  Always impresses me, and shows effort.

I recall seeing  a chap exhibiting a broad gauge layout at Swindon some years back who wore appropriate Victorian attire. The layout was also very impressive, being largely built from card. Between the subject, the method and the presentation, it was by far the most memorable exhibit at the show, and it was only a small layout.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1