RMweb

Which Models would you wish from Dapol?

Stefen1988

8 hours ago, woodenhead said:

@nickb4141 The 156 has been done in OO by RealTrack, Bachmann would do the 950 if anybody in OO or N.

Yes, meant Dapol’s N gauge 156 (model in both scales) I already have a lot of Realtrack’s excellent 156 sets :) 

I agree re Bachmann doing a Class 950, as it would be a simple body retool/set of slides, but seeing they’ve had the 150 tooling for about 15 years, they don’t seem in any hurry to do it! 

Edited by nickb4141

21 hours ago, e30ftw said:

if the 323 is a success , i would like to see a 325 postal unit, wider geographical spread and something a bit different. Even if they only come in red

If the rumour mill is true - there is a 325 in the works by someone...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, WCML100 said:

If the rumour mill is true - there is a 325 in the works by someone...

Along with a 313. Revolution told me that’s the reason they are not upscaling their N One , but this rumour has been going about for some time now with zilch to show for it 

• Like 3

Just now, Legend said:

Along with a 313. Revolution told me that’s the reason they are not upscaling their N One , but this rumour has been going about for some time now with zilch to show for it 

Yes 313 (& family) have been noted by accurascale as one in the works but not by them...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

The problem with a crowded marketplace is choosing which way to go when looking for a new subject. Bachmann already produce a 117, so a 115 or 116 would be a simple matter of producing new tooling slides. Revolution are promising a Class 120 in N, which would be a logical release in OO also.

The 323 was chosen, as it has a 30-year lifespan and numerous liveries. The 185, despite only having two main liveries, has a very wide sphere of operation and has been much requested. My worry would be that this could be under development somewhere else for these reasons.

As to what is next...wait and see. We have a few interesting things in the development queue.

TBH, if r-t-r players worried (without actual intelligence) that things were under development by a rival; nothing would ever get made,,,,

I'm another who is rather mystified that there's not been a OO Class 120 produced (or at least announced) long before now.

At least two ranges already include other units with similar underpinnings to a decent standard, and the variations in bodywork between the earlier and later batches should present few problems using modern slide-tools.     

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2

Many units are built specifically for single operators and seem to have limited livery and regional spread.  This seems to have been an issue that only when pacers, sprinters and super sprinters were operated throughout various places.

I can't see anyone ever doing the earlier Transpennine DMU or even a modern detail wise version of the Calder valley units which have a limited area.

If you are going specific why not the Parry People Movers that do Stourbridge?

• RMweb Gold

I hope Dapol continue on their present course; Seems to be going in the right direction. 

Private owner wagons in 00...

I really wish the large fleet wagons (such as the Welsh coal fleets ) would not put the running numbers on. Some of these wagons easily ran to 5 figures. In fairness to many model wagon manufacturers, some of the detail is first rate; tare & return details, etc. Thus, covering over existing numbers is not always ideal.

In this highly pleasant era of customer focus, it'll be nice to see small changes like this. After all, the prospect of different numbers on wagons might need to increased sales. 

Naturally, any manufacturer would issue a disclaimer to the effect that said manufacturer bears no responsibility for cack-handed application of running numbers.  Something to the effect of:-

"Dapol, its staff, employees & agents, bear no responsibility for the mis-application of running numbers to our wagons... "

I deleted a lot (and I mean, a lot)  of text before posting this.... Moderators were on hand with rubber mallets  & tranquilisers...

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

Doubtless not what you're really on about but.... In the Dapol / ex Airfix context, what about the "museum" models, Trevethick loco, Beam engine, Paddle steamer engine, 4 Stroke engine, etc... 

IIRC, the only Airfix kits that went to Dapol were the Railway and Lineside (building) ranges, which Dapol nowadays issue under the Kitmaster brand.

If the moulds for those you mention still exist, I'd think the rights to them, and other non-railway kit ranges, may now reside with today's Airfix brand within Hornby Hobbies.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I reckon that N gauge Turbot wagons would sell well; they’ve done them in O and OO already. They were a numerous and very widely travelled wagon. I made up a few from the N Gauge Society kits but masking and painting them in Dutch grey and yellow with all that raised detail on the doors was a right pain. I’d like some more but I’m not sure I could put myself through that again 🙄

Edited by The Pilotman
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Any chance of unpainted unfitted wooden-bodied wagons as produced, mostly to Big Four designs, in early BR days, in 00; I believe you have already done some of these in 0.  It’s a particularly difficult finish to recreate by painting, and these wagons, faded and weathered, were highly evocative of the 1950s on BR.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Any chance of unpainted unfitted wooden-bodied wagons

I believe you have already done some of these in 0.  It’s a particularly difficult finish to recreate by painting

Its a nice idea but unless you do it as almost brand new, you end up doing as much work on the planks as starting with a painted one, and you end up doing all the strapping again anyway!

I wouldn't mind the underframes as spares though!

Image.jpeg.03478db5e928157e687992105875d86d.jpeg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

I would like to repeat my request for a class 22 Diesel. Short , cute and suitable for layouts large and small, and fits nicely with all the other WR types now available in RTR O gauge. You have the drawings,data etc so come on Dapol,  whats the problem!

NB. these locos worked all over the south midlands, forest of Dean and Thames valley- Oxford and possibly Banbury, as well as Bristol and the west of England

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/12/2023 at 09:52, Hal Nail said:

Its a nice idea but unless you do it as almost brand new, you end up doing as much work on the planks as starting with a painted one, and you end up doing all the strapping again anyway!

TBF, though, apart from the Bachmann (BR) Shock-absorbing one,  corrugated-end open wagons are unobtainable r-t-r in OO, whatever the livery.  ☹️

My suggestion is for both the unfitted and fitted LMS types, as well as the BR-built derivatives which were little-changed from the originals. 

Edited by Dunsignalling

I personally would like to see an O gauge class 142 or 143 DMU produced. I think these would be stunning in O gauge and would go well with the upcoming Heljan class 153. 

These have had lots of liveries over their lifetime so this would provide lots of opportunity for re runs n different liveries. 

• Like 2

On 09/12/2023 at 09:52, Hal Nail said:

That subject is a very good call. Equally a RTR LMS sliding door ventilated general merchandise van to current standard.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Apart from un-numbered wagons mentioned earlier, how about the extra signal boards needed for a Western area signal?  Such as:- 

Shunt signal; backing signal, that sort of thing. There's about a dozen variations, but it's late, I'm tired, and I can't find a signals book.

• RMweb Gold

A pre-flexicoil variation of the current 86 model issued as an 86/0 or 86/3 would be welcome, preferably with an option for adding nose end jumper cables which would nicely compliment the eagerly awaited upcoming 87.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Basically, OO wagons and vans to the sort of standard (and prototype choices) with which Dapol have demonstrated their abilities in O Gauge.

Hopefully, the forthcoming Air Ministry tanks are a declaration of intent, and we may be in with a chance....

It would be nice, also, to see them revisit some of the antiques already in their OO range. Those they have done from new (tar tanks, 9' PO wagons, Grampus) are decent "layout wagons". 

Replacing the rest to a similar standard of dimensional accuracy, but leaving off the detail you can't see without turning the wagon upside down would do nicely for me. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1