Which Models would you wish from Dapol?

Stefen1988

Hi folks,

do we know if any Lads expect Dave from Dapol are (still) active at the Board?

I wonder which models would you wish from Dapol?

For me it's whatever is suited for LNER / Eastern Region of BR in N. Gresley's rebuild 4-6-4 W1 or more LNER Coaches (ECML Stock and Suburbans) would be nice. The W1 is pure wishlisting - otherwise Dapol has the A4 - but for ex LNER Suburban Coaches there is a hole on the N market.

Edited by Stefen1988

• RMweb Gold

Reintroduction of the old Kitmaster locos and coaches, sadly, I understand the moulding tools are no longer available.

Edited by john new
Punctuation correction.
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, 33C said:

Maybe the old Ratio Midland loco kits in their range or an 0-6-0 tender loco plastic kit with alternative parts, cab sides, boiler mounts etc. 

Owned by PECO so if they were usable then they would come from there. ISTR they were unusable. They come up on eBay all the time.

But why plastic? Awful material for locomotive kits as they are far too light and without being harsh the plastic Dapol uses for the kits is junk.

Jason

• Agree 4

9 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Owned by PECO so if they were usable then they would come from there. ISTR they were unusable. They come up on eBay all the time.

But why plastic? Awful material for locomotive kits as they are far too light and without being harsh the plastic Dapol uses for the kits is junk.

Jason

I have done two of the 2-4-0's using Lima HO tender power and they run really nicely, but, yet to do the 4-4-0. Plastic is easy to work, cheap and takes primer/paint easily. And i like to get things done reasonably quickly. I dont see myself living until 136... (Which at my model kit building speed x stash, is how long it would take to clear them!) 🤪

• Like 1

I am finding rather odd wanting to target one manufacturer (out of the many that are out there now, many with skills that are at least on par with Dapol) for a particular loco.

Perhaps next years wish pole should include "and who would like to make the model you just voted for?"

1 hour ago, Big James said:

Considering we’ve had the Wainwright D class and the maunsell D1. Gives me hope that we will one day get the E and E1 class. But am outside chance would be the O1 to go with all the SECR wagons being released. 

Big James

Rapido are doing an E1 class. It's taken time to get going but it's on the move.

Gary 

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Stefen1988 said:

Hi folks,

do we know if any Lads expect Dave from Dapol are (still) active at the Board?

I wonder which models would you wish from Dapol?

For me it's whatever is suited for LNER / Eastern Region of BR in N. Gresley's rebuild 4-6-4 W1 or more LNER Coaches (ECML Stock and Suburbans) would be nice. The W1 is pure wishlisting - otherwise Dapol has the A4 - but for ex LNER Suburban Coaches there is a hole on the N market.

Dapol Dave is definitely not active anymore (see DJM threads) and I believe Dapol do not take part on the forum but do (or did) have their own Dapol digest forum so any wish list may be better on there to get their attention.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How about accurate livery application with the use of correct colours, fonts, typefaces and spacing in the correct places?  No, wait, this is Dapol, that would be ridiculous....

• Agree 5
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Big James said:

Considering we’ve had the Wainwright D class and the maunsell D1. Gives me hope that we will one day get the E and E1 class. But am outside chance would be the O1 to go with all the SECR wagons being released. 

Big James

My hunch is that the E and E1 are Rails and Dapols follow on plans. First the D which I think we all knew someone would do someday, now the D1, a pleasant surprise considering they were not in Wainwright livery and no example exists anymore, so an E, a replica being built (and Wainwright livery compatible) as an obvious follow on and then an E1 I suppose... Could we even see the L and L1 to complete the set???

A release of one class per year also makes sense too. Tooling costs aside, few people would be able to afford all in one go and those capable of multiple purchases would probably buy multiples of the same class in each year rather than going for one of each class and hoping for re-runs... Heck, I brought 4 Ds and ordered 2 D1s, but I would not have done so if both classes appeared at once.

Final note: before the Dapol/Rails announcement, it was published in a certain railway club magazine that someone was working on a D and E class, though the same article hinted Hornby at the time. This leads to two possibilities, either Dapol/rails are doing both classes OR Hornby dropped theirs before announcement (or a third possibility both!). Watch this space in 2023... 

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1