Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Accurascale Goes Bananas! SR D1478 and D1479 Diagram Banana Vans in OO/4mm

My two SR 3-packs which I ordered on 28th. Feb arrived in good order via DPD this morning.  Very pleased with them. 

The question now is........ what has happened to the two different 3-packs that I ordered in October last year?  🙂

Martin

Edited by MartinTrucks
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As I imagine a lot of people are starting to wonder where their banana vans are, maybe Accurascale could undertake to let us know when all the preorders have been sent out, and give us free rein to panic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Downer said:

As I imagine a lot of people are starting to wonder where their banana vans are, maybe Accurascale could undertake to let us know when all the preorders have been sent out, and give us free rein to panic.

If it's any help, I had three emails from them yesterday to let me know that mine had been picked, packed and shipped, followed by one plus an SMS from DPD this morning with a delivery time. 

[edit] I ordered mine in March 2023 - as they've said they're all processed in date order. [/edit]

As for the vans themselves, I'll echo @gwrrob's comment above - plus the best packaging I've ever seen for a wagon (or pack thereof)...

Now to think of an excuse for a train of Bananas on a branch line terminus...

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Nick C said:

If it's any help, I had three emails from them yesterday to let me know that mine had been picked, packed and shipped, followed by one plus an SMS from DPD this morning with a delivery time. 

As for the vans themselves, I'll echo @gwrrob's comment above - plus the best packaging I've ever seen for a wagon (or pack thereof)...

The point is, I haven’t had any emails, and I’d like to know when I should start worrying about that.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Downer said:

The point is, I haven’t had any emails, and I’d like to know when I should start worrying about that.

You should be able to check the status by logging into the website too, and looking under "my orders" - it tells me the date of order, shipping and delivery:

Delivered

Hide details

March 1, 2024

This shipment has been delivered.

Out for delivery

On its way

February 29, 2024

Confirmed

March 2, 2023

Submitted

March 2, 2023

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Downer said:

Mine arrived today and look just the same as gwrrob's. 

No point in my trying to duplicate his excellent photography.

14 minutes ago, Nick C said:

You should be able to check the status by logging into the website too, and looking under "my orders" - it tells me the date of order, shipping and delivery:

It will also tell you whether you've fully paid for it yet !

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jon Harbour said:

Looking forward to receiving mine.... According to DPD it  has left the UK...

Britain exporting bananas - this climate change must be a real thing!

But it's still cold and very wet in Hertfordshire today.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

We are shipping out pre-orders of these and the new Mark 2 coaches together. Both have been massively popular on preorder and we estimate it will take the coming week to get through all pre-orders and retailer stock orders.

When we have further updates we will share them with you on here and elsewhere.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

46 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Britain exporting bananas - this climate change must be a real thing!

But it's still cold and very wet in Hertfordshire today.

Even more ironic if they go to Queensland where the banana-benders are! 😁

My Southern banana vans arrived last Thursday. I was impressed with the packaging and leaflet. I have not had a chance to run them on my Southern layout yet but I took them to Winterborne Kingston village hall on Friday and they ran behind some friends' locomotives on their test track. Although the locomotives don't match the era for the wagons I was able to see that the wagons ran faultlessly. I also displayed them on a short length of ballasted track.

P1020835.JPG

P1020840.jpg

P1020845.jpg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

For those who like to use Hunt couplings the extra close [XC] version work nicely here on my tightest curves. You could probably go closer if you trimmed and glued them but that would be a permanent fix. I don't have any of the Ultra Close type in stock but will try these at a later date. I've also added the extra pipes as supplied in the polybag and they don't interfere with the running.

DSCN9263.JPG.23279a46b1f947f6bd93db762edc10f3.JPG

DSCN9264.JPG.0c592321704006f22d6d089009ebad1f.JPG

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 01/03/2024 at 16:58, Nick C said:

[edit] I ordered mine in March 2023 - as they've said they're all processed in date order. [/edit]

Back in 1975, I went to Barnstaple by train. It was definitely a branch terminal, and there was a rake of Banana vans in the (Busy) goods yard

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Back in 1975, I went to Barnstaple by train. It was definitely a branch terminal, and there was a rake of Banana vans in the (Busy) goods yard

IIRC, Barnstaple did get banana deliveries from Fyffes, either from Southampton Docks, or the main distribution centre at Exeter Central.

By then, though, the vans might well have been used to provide fitted heads.

Either way, they were there!

John

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

IIRC, Barnstaple did get banana deliveries from Fyffes, either from Southampton Docks, or the main distribution centre at Exeter Central.

By then, though, the vans might well have been used to provide fitted heads.

Either way, they were there!

John

There was an Abbatoir there John.  Was it still in use and that fast Meat from Exmouth Junction to London still running? That was fully fitted or needed a fitted head IIRC?

Phil

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gwrrob said:

For those who like to use Hunt couplings the extra close [XC] version work nicely here on my tightest curves. You could probably go closer if you trimmed and glued them but that would be a permanent fix. I don't have any of the Ultra Close type in stock but will try these at a later date. I've also added the extra pipes as supplied in the polybag and they don't interfere with the running.

DSCN9263.JPG.23279a46b1f947f6bd93db762edc10f3.JPG

DSCN9264.JPG.0c592321704006f22d6d089009ebad1f.JPG

They do look rather nice. Not ordered any yet but may do seeing them now they have arrived.

Does anyone know what the green stripes on the corners of the vans mean?

The green stripe is THOUGHT to be a wartime marking on Banana Vans when they were not other wise advertised as being for that traffic ............... the supposition being that - contrary to common belief - there WERE bananas coming into the UK at the time.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

There was an Abbatoir there John.  Was it still in use and that fast Meat from Exmouth Junction to London still running? That was fully fitted or needed a fitted head IIRC?

Phil

Back in the late fifties/early sixties there was meat traffic for London originating from both Halwill and Bideford/Barnstaple, All fully fitted TTBOMK, and latterly in FM containers.

At least some of it used to be attached to what we lads called the "Padstow perishables" which came through Axminster about 6pm.

I wasn't sure how long the banana traffic to Devon lasted, hence my raising the possibility of the vans being repurposed by the mid-1970s.

Was Welsh coal still being landed at Fremington at that stage?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold
On 26/02/2024 at 23:35, TheSignalEngineer said:

My TMC pack 2 arrived today but I am a bit mystified by the brake pipes provided on this set. It is BR 1950s livery without yellow spot but it has hanging brake pipes as in the time of the yellow spot modifications. Is this an error with these vans as it detracts somewhat because the brake pipes are very prominent on the non yellow spot ones I have found in photos so far.

Both of the 1950s sets on the Accurascale site have upright pipes.

@Accurascale Fran I'm still looking for a picture of 1950s livery vans (no yellow spot) with hanging vacuum pipes rather than upright ones. Has your team got one?

Back on page 2, I asked a number of questions, and have since recieved a few answers, these might be useful to others - or they may have insight they can add.

- Pre 1948, the red oxide vans would've looked as they do below, but with SR branding above the number, below the small 10T (correct?) This appears to be correct, but unless anyone can provide a photo I can't 100% confirm, can only get close with a best guess.

- Aside from this, would there have been any differences in the final livery from what is seen below? the XP and WB markings would have all been the same, and in white? Plate 93 SR wagons illustrated vol 4. suggests that WB & XP in white are correct and were added before markings were removed for common user pool.

- By the time Banana traffic ceased duirng wartime, (Nov 1940) these wagons were already in the common user pool (March 1940, correct?) This appears to be correct

- So this would mean that the Post-1936 Stone liveried vans would've lost the 'N' from their liveries? Appears correct, light/intermediate repairs/shopping would usually result in 'Return to..' and the 'N' markings being removed.

- After Banana traffic ceased, it's noted that some of these wagons were employed on other duties, what were these duties, Meat, fish, general goods stock? Lots of evidence would suggest that they were used without the steam heat as insulated vans, so meat traffic seems most likely.

- When employed on these other duties, would the wagons have been re-liveried to reflect the changes? E.G would the 'Banana Van' & 'Steam' brandings have just been removed? Or would they have been removed AND had new liveries applied that reflected their intended use? Or would they just have been left as is?

- Did any/many wagons go straight from Stone into Bauxite, skipping the red oxide phase?

- An excerpt from one of Mike King's volumes on the subject, reads; "In 1941 it was decided to change to main body colour to red oxide, with lemon lettering,  but on the basis that a wagon is normally given a heavy overhaul every seven years, it is doubtful whether all were repainted thus. The seven year overhaul period was probably adhered to fairly closely before the war. Thus one might conclude that any wagon built before, say,  1932 was probably repainted in the 1936 style, while those built later would probably have fallend due for overhaul during the war years, when probably only the essentials were dealt with" In this instance, what are the essentials? I assume that patch repainting was a thing, and that a van would not have just been repainted in a wholesale manor if there was only minor repainting work to do? Essential work would mean removing 'N' and 'Return to southampton' branding - other work likely mechanical

- Say a van was still Stone coloured in 1947, what would it look like? One assumes that if the 'N' was removed, then maybe the Banana Van markings would have been too? (Am I correctly understanding what the N is for?)

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 hours ago, Jack P said:

... probably only the essentials were dealt with" In this instance, what are the essentials? ...

Might it have been deemed essential to paint over any stone coloured wagons to make - probable - perishable traffic less conspicuous to the Luftwaffe ?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Back in the late fifties/early sixties there was meat traffic for London originating from both Halwill and Bideford/Barnstaple, All fully fitted TTBOMK, and latterly in FM containers.

At least some of it used to be attached to what we lads called the "Padstow perishables" which came through Axminster about 6pm.

I wasn't sure how long the banana traffic to Devon lasted, hence my raising the possibility of the vans being repurposed by the mid-1970s.

Was Welsh coal still being landed at Fremington at that stage?

John

I've read somewhere when Nanas stopped coming to Fyffes at Ex Central. I have no idea what happened on the Line after 1965. sad isn't it.

Thanks matey.

P