RevolutioN Trains Announce KSA Wagons in OO Gauge

sc2016

https://www.revolutiontrains.com/its-a-rover-lution/

Information from above link:

Revolution Trains is offering the iconic Rover ‘cube’ wagons, and their timber carrier conversions, as its next wagon in OO gauge, 1:76.2 scale.

image.png.eebc01259f63f5c7bd91e24732592e0f.png

KSA ‘cube’ wagon.

image.png.a33ba9943c8b991f3785253470c4aa62.png

KSA timber carrier conversion.

CAD has been completed and first samples are expected early in the New Year.

image.png.e8e7a3e985c65bce6975112ec0212c4e.png

47188 takes a rake of Rover cube wagons through Small Heath. Photo courtesy Kevin Payne.

100 large vans were built for Rover Cars by Rautaruukki of Finland in 1995 to convey preformed car parts and completed sub-assemblies securely between plants.

Coded KSA-A under TOPS, and nicknamed ‘Cube’ or ‘Talgo’ wagons , they incorporated full-length sliding covers as well as floors that could be raised and lowered to simplify unloading while optimising use of the restrictive British loading gauge.

They were turned out in a smart maroon and grey livery, with black Y25 bogies and designed to UIC ferry standards to allow them to be operated on continental Europe.

They travelled to Britain from Finland via the Channel Tunnel and were used between Swindon, Longbridge and other Rover plants. At first they were hauled by pairs of RfD Class 47s; after privatisation EWS class 66s, and occasionally 56s and 60s, were used.

image.png.9f98e457e78c56e94053ce5849bb2fd9.png

Direct Rail Services 37612 and 37609 near Greenhill on 15 May 2001 in charge of the 4M30 19:00 Grangemouth to Daventry service for Malcolm Logistics comprising 10 ‘Talgo’ high cube wagons and 2 Megafret intermodal wagons.

DRS and Malcolm Logistics worked in partnership to develop fast moving consuming goods services between Grangemouth and Daventry, initially with the innovative Talgo drop-well wagons which were previously used for automotive parts transport between Swindon and Longbridge. The hydraulic platform in the centre of the wagons allowed out of gauge automotive parts to be transported. When the wagons became surplus to requirements in the automotive industry DRS purchased a number of them, the concept proving attractive to Malcolms for double-stacking palletised non-perishible goods.

In 2001 WH Malcolm acquired several KSAs for secure transportation of Anglo-Scottish freight on the WCML and two were repainted into Malcolm’s Logistics livery. Traction for these trains was provided by DRS (Class 66 or pairs of Class 37s) and the KSA wagons were marshalled together, often immediately behind the locomotive. The rest of the train usually comprised Megafret container wagons.

The wagons have also been used in Germany, Italy, Switzerland and France for various commodities including bottled water.

image.png.5db26d53bb893dcb821ebf8d7df0d234.png

KSA timber conversion. Photo courtesy Tom Smith.

In 2012 several redundant KSA wagons were acquired by the wagon leasing company NACCO and converted to timber carriers. The work involved removal of the sliding covers and the hydraulic floor mechanism, installation of 14 pairs of heavy duty stanchions and the removal of some end panels, and replacement with bars designed to stop logs sliding through.

image.png.674c101a1d3d4d43dc705c46fc55a4b0.png

KSA conversion being carried out at E G Steele, Hamilton.

The timber wagons are used with other van conversions including the IWA timber carrier wagons previously offered by Revolution Trains. They are used on trains to and from Chirk, most recently on a newly trialled traffic from Aberystwyth. 

The Revolution models will feature our usual refinements including numerous separately fitted detail parts, and have been designed with 26mm axles to allow simple conversion to P4/EM standards using proprietory wheelsets.

The couplers are fitted in kinematic NEM sockets and the models also feature soft-sprung buffers.

Models are being offered in original Rover livery as a van and NACCO red livery for the timber conversions, in a variety of different numbers, to allow convincing rakes to be modelled. All models will be supplied as twin packs with an early-bird pre-order price of £99.95 per twin pack from our website (our standard pre-order price will be £104.95 from 20 December 2022).

image.png.43ebdbb4725582cf8bf8d9ff47558843.png

KSA-A – Rover livery.

image.png.20a80ca10a8fbacaba98902a129e2909.png

KSA in NACCO timber carrier form.

In addition, we are also offering exclusively through our growing retail network a twin pack of the attractive Malcolm Group KSA wagons. These wagons will only be available from our retailers and not direct from Revolution Trains and will have an MSRP of £124.95 for the twin pack – please contact your preferred Revolution Trains retailer to reserve/pre-order your Malcolm KSAs.

image.png.ee243c04d91756d231f94c5ae35d1e6b.pngKSA-A – Malcolm Logistics livery.

These models are in development now and first samples are expected early in the New Year, with the finished models expected to ship in Q3-4 2023.

Edited by sc2016
Taking additional image off
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

Amazing - these wagons were very distinctive and operated right through my area in their later unmodified lives - a definite order for me and smart move on the retailer specials too.  There’s possibly not much you guys have done in OO that I haven’t bought…. Keep em coming!!

M

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just before Chinese New Year shuts everything down we have been sent the EP1 samples of the KSA Rover cube vans and timber carrier conversions.

IMG_2320.jpg.32c4c3edfe12d8b2ec6a0ae3eebb77f2.jpg

There are some details yet to be added (lashing loops and ferry hooks) and they will now be given extensive checking and test running.  For anyone interested these will be on display on our stand at Model Rail Scotland at the end of February.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi Ben A.

Thank you for posting the link 👍 Can’t believe I’ve not realised the order book had opened 🙈 order just placed now for all 3 timber twin packs! I’d best get laying some more track to accommodate these now 😅

Thanks again,

Sam 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 16/02/2023 at 20:50, Shoey said:

Hi Ben A.

Thank you for posting the link 👍 Can’t believe I’ve not realised the order book had opened 🙈 order just placed now for all 3 timber twin packs! I’d best get laying some more track to accommodate these now 😅

Thanks again,

Sam 

When does the order book for these close please?

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

We should be getting decorated samples of these soon for checking.   We will want to display these so potential customers can see them and we are attending GETS and Warley, so depending on production slots available we will either close the order book at the end of October or the end of November.  But we will let everyone know in good time!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Further to my post above we now have decorated samples of these wagons for assessment.

KSAlineupunstacked.JPG.3dafb3511ee482d45829e44d06dabc51.JPG

We've received both versions of the vans - in original Rover maroon/grey and revised Malcolm Group red/blue plus the two timber carrier variants with the solid or slatted ends.

There are a couple of very small adjustments to make - the Malcolm blue should be darker - but once all assessments are complete we will look to put these into production, with the order book closing at the end of the year and delivery expected Q1-2 2024.

For more information see our news update here: https://revolutiontrains.com/news/

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

Looking great as expected.

How about a hybrid livery version?🙂

20221020_201553.jpg

I think that is one for the weathering supremos!!  Would look great though!

2 hours ago, Shoey said:

These look superb! When ordering the timber carriers, which packs out of A,B & C are the solid and slatted ends? Or is there one of each per pack?

Pack A contains wagons 33 70 4739 010 and 066.  These have slatted ends.

Packs B and C contain wagons 33 70 4739 065, 072, 076 and 079.  These have solid ends.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Thanks 2

Re your Log Carriers which look absolutely amazing by the way.  You are producing x3 Packs (A, B & C) and the Solid and Slatted Ends.   Can you please tell me which packs have the wagons with the solid ends?  As these are the ones I have seen on the South Wales flow (together with the variant which has a lot of the End Plate removed).

Look forward to seeing your samples at the Great Electric Train Show.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Melangoose said:

You are producing x3 Packs (A, B & C) and the Solid and Slatted Ends.   Can you please tell me which packs have the wagons with the solid ends?  As these are the ones I have seen on the South Wales flow (together with the variant which has a lot of the End Plate removed).

I think @Revolution Ben answered that question in the post immediately above yours. 

Edited by The Pilotman
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

The eagle-eyed may spot in melangoose's image above that the centre of the deck on the log carrier has popped up.  I apologise - this was operator error when I placed it in the display; it does normally sit flat!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My layout was at Taunton RailEx last weekend, so we took advantage of it and ran a few of our EP samples, including the KSA Rover Cubes and the Timber Carriers.

IMG_3003.png.06e7557b05b90297fe41929ac9349dc0.png

As they were just deco samples without weights in them we weren’t expecting miracles, but as with our previous models, the factory has done a great job. We wanted to check the bogie to chassis clearance and the coupling mechanism, and they ran without a hitch all weekend on some of the worst laid track ever (if you’ve ever seen my fiddle yard close up then you’ll know exactly what I mean) and even without the ballast weights, coped perfectly with my super elevated curves.

If you haven’t already ordered any, don’t forget that you can take advantage of our early bird price on our website. 

Edited by Revolution Mike B
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Revolution Mike B said:

My layout was at Taunton RailEx last weekend, so we took advantage of it and ran a few of our EP samples, including the KSA Rover Cubes and the Timber Carriers.

IMG_3003.png.06e7557b05b90297fe41929ac9349dc0.png

As they were just deco samples without weights in them we weren’t expecting miracles, but as with our previous models, the factory has done a great job. We wanted to check the bogie to chassis clearance and the coupling mechanism, and they ran without a hitch all weekend on some of the worst laid track ever (if you’ve ever seen my fiddle yard close up then you’ll know exactly what I mean) and even without the ballast weights, coped perfectly with my super elevated curves.

If you haven’t already ordered any, don’t forget that you can take advantage of our early bird price on our website. 

Had the pleasure of seeing this layout for the first time at Taunton on Sunday. It looks incredible in photos but they honestly don’t do the layout justice, the detail is just superb 👌🏻 I could have stood and watched it all day! I also had the pleasure of being handed one of the KSA timber carriers and was instantly blown away by the sheer length of them! As you’ve said Mike they didn’t have the weights in them but the detail was spot on as you’d expect and I’m very happy to have already preordered a lengthy rake of these wagons to complement the Revolution timber carriers previously released 😎

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Shoey said:

Had the pleasure of seeing this layout for the first time at Taunton on Sunday. It looks incredible in photos but they honestly don’t do the layout justice, the detail is just superb 👌🏻 I could have stood and watched it all day! I also had the pleasure of being handed one of the KSA timber carriers and was instantly blown away by the sheer length of them! As you’ve said Mike they didn’t have the weights in them but the detail was spot on as you’d expect and I’m very happy to have already preordered a lengthy rake of these wagons to complement the Revolution timber carriers previously released 😎

Thank you for your kind words for both the layout and our models.

• Friendly/supportive 1