RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

8 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

<snip>

have covid, not entirely in my right mind 😉

<snip>

First time I had it I was impressively incoherent. At the time I thought I was making sense but the following few weeks I kept finding bit of work that I'd done that made no sense at all.

Take it as easy as you can, watch railway videos on youtube and expect to re-do stuff :)

Luke

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

First time I had it I was impressively incoherent. At the time I thought I was making sense but the following few weeks I kept finding bit of work that I'd done that made no sense at all.

I had Covid v1 Jan 2020 edition, I lost some of my words for months afterwards.  And yes, that thing of finding work I'd done that made no sense...

Fortunately I didn't go on an eBay spree in a fever dream 🙂

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, andythenorth said:

<snip>

What's the longest known thread on rmweb?

<snip>

The Rapido APT thread has got to 182 pages... The Dapol Western is 144p.

I haven't counted the layout pages as they can be just one/ a couple of people posting. We here have lots of different people (who are usually disagreeing with each other!)

Luke

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, andythenorth said:

Checked in to see how the thread was going, nice to see it's continuing to add pages of nothingness, the consistency is remarkable 🙂

What's the longest known thread on rmweb?

Early Risers is 11494 pages (287344 posts). Wright Writes is a mere 2775 pages.  

21 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

could be why I model 2mm 152

and to be fair now would if starting use code 40 n

I toyed with the idea at one time of trying 2mm finescale, but after a friend passed me some 2mm Scale Association mags to look at I got thoroughly put off by the umpteenth chapter of "tools you can make from a hinge".  Then when Mr Simon bought a 2mm scale kit and I saw the outside steam pipes of the loco were to be made from layers of thin brass soldered together then filed to a cylindrical shape I thought there is too much precision faffing for this dyspraxic with too little result to show for it.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos as usual
  • Agree 3

11 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

I am not sure if poor families would have access to the internet to buy the TT:120 models on line or enough money to buy at train set.

TT:120 has attracted no interest at my local model railway clubs or exhibitions but I have not been able to resist it. The two train sets did not appeal to me but I have bought some track and buildings and I have pre-ordered five locomotives. 

I think that existing railway modellers will buy the TT:120 range and they will be looking for a fun train set that can easily be transported to clubs and exhibitions in a small hatchback.

Not poor families- space poor

You buy a new house and there is little space inside.  The show houses for the £700K new houses in the next village have the internal doors removed so punters aren't immediately aware that the settee in the room won't fit if the room door is to be able to shut.

Even the 15-20 year old 5 and 6 bedroom houses close to us have very small rooms.  Most have had conservatories added on, taking about half of what little garden they have, and a lot are converting their garages into extra rooms as said garages are too small to get a family car into- those who aren't converting their garages to rooms seem to use them as utility rooms or storage.  "Big" modern houses tend not to be that big at all compared with 40 years ago.

These tend to be quite well paid folks, but since the sixties house sizes have shrunk rapidly.  These folks are a substantial target market for a smaller but more robust model railway.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos as usual
  • Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

My house was built in '98 and I had to convert the garage (not cheap!) to get a useable railway room 16'x7'.  A number of similar houses around here are mixed occupancy which means although some are owned outright, housing associations own the others and tenants have little say in changing/converting rooms. These people are not 'poor' (there are plenty of other, genuinely 'poor' people in town who I regularly see at food banks and in 'warm space' buildings) so I would imagine these might be the ones Hornby had in mind - small space + enough disposable income to fund a hobby = TT:120 !

David

• Like 5

Agreed, most families with children now don't have spare rooms, and with newer homes often there isn't usable loft space and lack of cupboards means the garage (if it exists) is the only storage space and hence little room for a layout.

Increasing numbers of people are also working from home at least part of the time which also takes up space.

I think Hornby are aiming TT firmly at the "family layout" market for this reason, not the "established modeller already got lots of 00 or N".

This also means there target people are probably looking for a few trains they like the look of to run about, not (yet) a large range of stock on a coherent theme.

Edited by andrewshimmin
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Hobby said:

Well the set has made it to the USA according to one guy on a TT120 FB page who has just received his!

Seems to be a bit of American interest. I've not been able to find the comment from Hornby that talked of being a 'link'  to the US hobby that is quoted on TTnut, but as I remind everyone, a Class 66 is just an SD40-2 chassis with a longish, narrow, low shed on top of it.

And that's the chassis for about half the active diesel loks in Murica really:  http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/ge/8c40w/c408w-paint.gif

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, teletougos said:

And that's the chassis for about half the active diesel loks in Murica really:  http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/ge/8c40w/c408w-paint.gif

Er that’s a GE dash8 C40w 😉 

This is an EMD SD40-2 which is 17 years older design. 

CD562D9D-352B-4A98-BCD9-993301993F08.jpeg.c405ee90b496a0db0474887631ac3257.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

You will be pleased to see that an oval of track, an S&C signal box and Dent Station have arrived from Hornby. I am very impressed with the models and I think resin is a good material to represent stone walls and slate tiles. Next I am planning to buy some Peco TT:120 platform kits.  I have also pre-ordered some Hornby locomotives to run on the track.

P1010818.JPG

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Didn't Union Pacific put two of those on one chassis back to back to make Centenary?

The Centennials were indeed two gp/sd 40 engines on one frame with 4 axle trucks, DDA40X. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Er that’s a GE dash8 C40w 😉 

This is an EMD SD40-2 which is 17 years older design. 

I know. Linked drawing img  relates to it being the chassis for half America’s diesels.

But SD40-2 and its less popular mates in EMD’s catalog are where chassis of these dimensions originated.

Edited by teletougos

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, teletougos said:

I know. Linked drawing img  relates to it being the chassis for half America’s diesels.

But SD40-2 and its less popular mates in EMD’s catalog are where chassis of these dimensions originated.

You mean as a Co-Co then?  Irony being the GE Dash-8 was the model that beat GM’s EMD back into the number 2 position in the late 80’s 😉The EMD Class 66 is a bit of a mix of the later SD70 style bogie, albeit heavily modified to eliminate external air brake cylinders, with radial steering axles and the basic prime mover of the SD40 series, not much else is common apart from the engine. 
The guys involved in the original design of radial trucks aren’t fans of the 66 bogie mods as it ended up heavier and harder to build but it was too costly to type approve another improved version. 
Those bogies also cause us quite a few problems with track circuits when wheels are worn!

There's a fascinating bit about the development of radial trucks as eventually found under the 66’s here by one of the development team 

https://cs.trains.com/trn/f/741/t/281717.aspx

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Informative/Useful 1

After teasing about a possible delivery yesterday (on my birthday) DHL delivered my train set today. I'll accept it as a delayed present.

It looks great. I left it in the store for now for viewing by interested modelers. I'll bring it home tomorrow and see about getting a few pictures with the train on some TT-Tracks modules. Then weather permitting set up a few  modules and run the train.

• Like 4