RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

5 hours ago, britishcolumbian said:

As for 3D printing - if you last looked at it 4, 5 years ago, you must look again - it's advanced light-years over the last little while, and getting to where the results are actually good, with a bit of care and effort.

I've kind of lost interest because unfortunately most US producers use Shapeways and that is totally undependable now when it comes to quality, unreliable on delivery and very costly to boot, 

Outfits like i-materialise are more consistent but now very expensive. 

While this does not represent the entire sector, these two were two big participants and I see a loss of enthusiasm for 3-D compared to a few years ago. (Again, maybe that's primarily US outline.) 

• Informative/Useful 1

46 minutes ago, teletougos said:

While this does not represent the entire sector, these two were two big participants and I see a loss of enthusiasm for 3-D compared to a few years ago. (Again, maybe that's primarily US outline.) 

I have mentioned this elsewhere but the thing about 3D printing is that, in our terms, it is in essence a domestic or cottage based industry- so the chances are that you can find somebody local to work with to get the results you are seeking at considerably lower costs than the likes of Shapeways Moreover, you develop personal collaborations to enhance future projects.

Edited by natterjack
  • Like 2

townend27march.jpg.69769267998e36d01f589a120607a78f.jpg

My TT:120 train set "Bregstadt" has just completed the first day of its first show (South Notts Show at Cotgrave).  The two beer vans in the middle of the picture are Hornby group - Arnold.

BR95.jpg.ad3f03351fecfd5db1175f287cae6610.jpg

Another Hornby group product in action on Day 2 will be this beast- bought on the Hornby website and mostly paid for with accumulated Hornby points.  It will be joined by the 2-10-0 tender engine class 58, which is sound fitted (proper synchronised sound) and which made a substantial contribution towards generating those Hornby points, both these locos are by Arnold. 

1196.jpg.ba336337fc7662c2bbd90b10a777f26e.jpg

If only Hornby would look more closely at the work of the designers in the other arms of their own group they would make some very serious improvements to the breed.  Both these locos glide effortlessly round the radius 2 curves my A4 and A3 won't even attempt.

Les

BTW, those ARE Hunt couplings on both locos.  100% reliable on the fixed trains today, and the Easi-shunts in the yard about 80% reliabe, but that is good for a first time out.

Edited by Les1952
typos as usual
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, natterjack said:

I have mentioned this elsewhere but the thing about 3D printing is that, in our terms, it is in essence a domestic or cottage based industry- so the chances are that you can find somebody local to work with to get the results you are seeking at considerably lower costs than the likes of Shapeways Moreover, you develop personal collaborations to enhance future projects.

If you knew the grade I got for Technical Drawing at school, you'd probably understand why I'm reliant on outfits like Shapeways😉

• Funny 1

23 hours ago, e30ftw said:

At that scale is there, that much difference between the two? Some 3d printed parts could be used to represent the differences.

I thinks it's the roofs that are slightly different, but you'd think that Hornby would go the extra mile to fill the gaps in the range of modern coaches especially as there are currently no alternative manufacturers.

52 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

I thinks it's the roofs that are slightly different, but you'd think that Hornby would go the extra mile to fill the gaps in the range of modern coaches especially as there are currently no alternative manufacturers.

I think Hornby are struggling to meet the demand for the miles they've already done- extra miles are a long way off.....

Les

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

21 hours ago, Les1952 said:

townend27march.jpg.69769267998e36d01f589a120607a78f.jpg

My TT:120 train set "Bregstadt" has just completed the first day of its first show (South Notts Show at Cotgrave).  The two beer vans in the middle of the picture are Hornby group - Arnold.

BR95.jpg.ad3f03351fecfd5db1175f287cae6610.jpg

Another Hornby group product in action on Day 2 will be this beast- bought on the Hornby website and mostly paid for with accumulated Hornby points.  It will be joined by the 2-10-0 tender engine class 58, which is sound fitted (proper synchronised sound) and which made a substantial contribution towards generating those Hornby points, both these locos are by Arnold. 

If only Hornby would look more closely at the work of the designers in the other arms of their own group they would make some very serious improvements to the breed.  Both these locos glide effortlessly round the radius 2 curves my A4 and A3 won't even attempt.

Les

BTW, those ARE Hunt couplings on both locos.  100% reliable on the fixed trains today, and the Easi-shunts in the yard about 80% reliabe, but that is good for a first time out.

As a punter at said show, viewing the layout from the front I agree, the locos ran very sweet indeed, I was very impressed.

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

• Agree 1

On 06/04/2024 at 23:37, Les1952 said:

Both these locos glide effortlessly round the radius 2 curves my A4 and A3 won't even attempt.

Both of mine go round R2 without any issues, Les. Send yours back?

• Like 1

Les

Glide effortlessly they may, but am I the only one to notice that loco 1196's pony truck looks derailed? 

Edited by teletougos
  • Funny 2

Does Farish do an eight coupled steam loco with about 10mm dia wheels ?  (Potential TT conversion material.) 

Older is okay, as I think they look easier to regauge. 

Edited by teletougos

6 hours ago, teletougos said:

Glide effortlessly they may, but am I the only one to notice that loco 1196's pony truck looks derailed? 

The cameraman- ie me- didn't when plonking it on the track for a photograph....

Les

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Hornby have acknowledged a number of manufacturing issues with the A3/A4 and have provided some advice on resolving them, including adjustments to make them work better with Peco track, for example.

There is a thread here outlining the common fixes:

https://community.hornbyhobbies.com/topic/33745-the-main-a1a3a4-chassis-bogie-problems-fixes/#comment-373922

Yo can also get Hornby to make adjustments for you iirc,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/04/2024 at 15:46, teletougos said:

Does Farish do an eight coupled steam loco with about 10mm dia wheels ?  (Potential TT conversion material.) 

Old "Poole" Farish did an 8F, but I'm not sure what the wheel size is. However locos of this era were often rather crude and didn't always run well. A particular low point was the tiny pony truck wheels on some models, although I can't say whether the 8F was one of these.

There is a "new" 8F, too — quite a recent model, and quite expensive — especially if you are only interested in the chassis.

On 08/04/2024 at 15:46, teletougos said:

The older type 8F was free of the tiny pony wheels which were only found on the 4 wheel bogies, but they were very crude by today's standards, reasonable but not spectacular runners and certainly not as good as the latest coreless motor locos. 

The later 8F is an altogether different beast, with modern coreless motor chassis, DCC Next 18. fitted speaker, see through spokes etc - a lovely model. However I would suggest that given the design of the chassis, pickups and axle-bearings converting to a wider gauge could be something of a challenge. Also, there has only been one production run so far and that was a few years ago now so you are likely to only find one secondhand and probably not cheap.

Roy

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Roy L S said:

The older type 8F was free of the tiny pony wheels which were only found on the 4 wheel bogies, but they were very crude by today's standards, reasonable but not spectacular runners and certainly not as good as the latest coreless motor locos. 

The later 8F is an altogether different beast, with modern coreless motor chassis, DCC Next 18. fitted speaker, see through spokes etc - a lovely model. However I would suggest that given the design of the chassis, pickups and axle-bearings converting to a wider gauge could be something of a challenge. Also, there has only been one production run so far and that was a few years ago now so you are likely to only find one secondhand and probably not cheap.

Roy

I agree with your comments about the mk1 and mk2 Farish 8F locos. However for me the mk1 has a certain charm that the mk2 does not have. I think this is due to the finish being less glossy, and the rivets on the tender being more prominent.

On 06/04/2024 at 11:58, Steamport Southport said:

The Heljan Class 31 was just the CAD from their O Gauge version. They have never made a 00 Gauge Class 31....

Never said they did, but the CAD took the same approach a their 00 models with regards separately fitted detail.

Hello,

Does anyone know if a circle of tt120 track will fit on a 24 inch wide board? been looking all over the place but can't seem to find anthing deffinitive

If you go on the Hornby website it gives you the radii. R1 is 267mm so yes it will fit on a 24" (608mm) wide board. Be aware, though, that only the 08 of the current locos is ok'd by Hornby to run on it, the rest are R2 and above.