Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

After seeing the Hornby models for the first time, I was shocked at how small they were in comparison to my conception of them formed by YouTube videos etc. 

I think the are not sufficiently larger than British N. It's a personal opinion and one I've heard from others earlier in this thread. I did not agree with them at the time, but now I see they have a point. 

There's much in its favour with standardisation and correct gauge etc.

It's providing an exciting buzz and I wish it success but, sadly, I will not be buying it. 

If I had serious money (inspired by lego and a brilliant O gauge Bodmin layout) I would explore sound-fitted, low-voltage motored, battery powered, radio-controlled, dead rail locos. 

Using the track for power seems a big weakness in model railways.

But that's another topic.

• Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, Railpassion said:

After seeing the Hornby models for the first time, I was shocked at how small they were in comparison to my conception of them formed by YouTube videos etc. 

I think the are not sufficiently larger than British N. It's a personal opinion and one I've heard from others earlier in this thread. I did not agree with them at the time, but now I see they have a point. 

It's providing an exciting buzz and I wish it success but, sadly, I will not be buying it. 

If I had serious money (inspired by lego and a brilliant O gauge Bodmin layout) I would explore sound-fitted, low-voltage motored, battery powered, radio-controlled, dead rail locos. 

'Shocked' seems a bit strong - TT:120 is just a scale like any other. Are you even more shocked by H0 given that 1:87 seems closer to 1:100 than even TT:120 does, never mind TT:120 to N Gauge? I doubt it.

With the advent of TT:120, UK modellers now have a choice of scales of 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 3.5mm and 4mm (as well as scales outside that range) - on the face of it there doesn't seem to be much to choose between any of them. It seems a bit strange to single out 2.5mm as being too close to 2mm when others are equally close.

As for your closing paragraph, why even mention that here? This is a TT:120 thread. Do you go posting that on 00 gauge threads? Again, I doubt it. I'm sure there are plenty of other threads where those things are discussed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 26/04/2024 at 01:30, britishcolumbian said:

But that's the thing... British equipment really is just that small.

I've been thinking about this because I recently purchased a European loco and a wagon to compare to UK outline (a Piko BR 223 Eurorunner loco and a Tillig double-container flat Sggmrs wagon) and I didn't find the difference in loading gauge to be too severe.

Maybe the examples I bought aren't typical but also I guess that as the scale gets smaller then the differences get less (so the difference in a scale like HO would look 'worse'). Obviously if you had a layout with structures (especially platforms) then even this small difference might cause problems.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos from above comparing the loading gauges. The first is an HST on the left and the Eurorunner on the right while the second is an Arnold container flat on the left (grey) and the German one on the right (blue). I think the container flat is possibly a bit deceptive because it has the tie-down hooks mounted on outriggers rather than it being a full-width wagon whereas the Arnold container flat has the hooks mounted on the body.

20240427_110313.jpg.186a962add001d1bb912d53adbeae314.jpg

20240427_110815.jpg.5ec07559159fa3787e00c934fb200bc4.jpg

Edited by Porfuera
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Railpassion said:

Not sure why you've repeated the same thing twice over the last few pages? People have already responded effectively to your points.

Your last point is completely irrelevant to the thread.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Porfuera said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, really, apart from the fact that 1/100 is an international architectural modelling scale.

Just like TT:120 is an international model railway scale, whereas TT3/TT100 isn't.

In fact, AFAIAA it is so international that the rest of the world just calls it 'TT' whereas we are forced to call it 'TT:120'.

Anyway, 3mm/ft is technically 1:101.6, so not quite the same as 1:100 architect’s models (I think one of Don and Val Sibley’s Belgian tram layouts from ages ago used actual 1:100 on 9mm gauge though, but scratch built rather than TT3-based). It perhaps made more sense there with dimensions more likely to be available in metric, much like the Gravetts’ choice of 1:50 for Pempoul.

13 hours ago, TrainsRule88 said:

Hopefully as this scale progresses, they can make the flanges on the wheels smaller. I remember when N gauge & 00 gauge also had giant pizza cutter flanges in previous years but now both have most often very fine flanges. I am sure TT will go the same way eventually. 

I’m sure the technology already exists to make them finer, given that TT is already used elsewhere in Europe. It’s not quite the same as T gauge, for instance, which is right at the edge of how small it can be made and where the flanges are enormous compared to the overall wheel diameter.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

Ah, but the pint is, when it's smaller than 1mm it's too small to worrit about, or model.

Except the rivets.

True enough.  Wheelbase accuracy for locomotives with coupling rods is important but a drift of a mm is ok as long as the chassis and coupling rods match.  Wheel diameters vary according to wear, again about a mm is usually ok.  A scale rule is extremely useful and saves a lot of tedious calculations, especially for structure modelling.

7 hours ago, Porfuera said:

In fact, AFAIAA it is so international that the rest of the world just calls it 'TT' whereas we are forced to call it 'TT:120'.

"They're all out of step but our Jimmy".......

For those who don't recognise the quote it is a woman watching her son taking part in a military parade, but does sum up the British attitude to doing things the same as everyone else.

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

For those interested, a poster over on the Hornby Forum attended Key Model World Live. He took some great photos and video of the Class 50s, Class 66s, Duchesses, and the J50 prototype. Other items on display included the upcoming HAA and 21 Ton mineral wagons. It's worth checking out for anyone interested in the upcoming releases. 

https://community.hornbyhobbies.com/topic/35680-tt-at-model-world-birmingham-live/#comment-382162

Class 50s are set for a May release. Things are looking good!

Edited by GenericRMWebUsername
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, GenericRMWebUsername said:

For those interested, a poster over on the Hornby Forum attended Key Model World Live. He took some great photos and video of the Class 50s, Class 66s, Duchesses, and the J50 prototype. Other items on display included the upcoming HAA and 21 Ton mineral wagons. It's worth checking out for anyone interested in the upcoming releases. 

https://community.hornbyhobbies.com/topic/35680-tt-at-model-world-birmingham-live/#comment-382162

Class 50s are set for a May release. Things are looking good!

Thanks for posting that link. Some mouth watering images there. Really looking forward to those class 50s!

• Agree 2

On 27/04/2024 at 02:06, Railpassion said:

If I had serious money (inspired by lego and a brilliant O gauge Bodmin layout) 

I thought that. but seeing the actual models alleviated the worry. And when the 66 comes, those clouds will clear away totally; a 66 is as long as a US SD40-2 and the rolling stock for this era is kinda hefty.

There's TT3 for those who 'like this kind of a size' but find TT too small. 

Can't quite see what your point about Lego is either??  Went well wide of whatever mark it was aimed at. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

TT120 is about the future, a new British scale which develops the hobby. 

Lego is also about the future. Remote control operation with battery power and dead rails. No wires, except for point motors and signals. 

I hope the TT120 market will be soon joined by other players. Anything that expands the hobby and broadens its appeal is good news.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I've mentioned it before that several people have done RC in small 006.5 locos so TT's size (whichever version!) shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 2

In case anyone doesn't get the emails or use Facebook, there is 15% off in-stock items on the Hornby website this bank holiday weekend - I don't know how that compares with retailers but presumably you can still use Hobby Points if you have them for an extra reduction 

FB_IMG_1714550976365.jpg.540ce87e0919e7f37814a493fd7119da.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Porfuera said:

In case anyone doesn't get the emails or use Facebook, there is 15% off in-stock items on the Hornby website this bank holiday weekend - I don't know how that compares with retailers but presumably you can still use Hobby Points if you have them for an extra reduction 

FB_IMG_1714550976365.jpg.540ce87e0919e7f37814a493fd7119da.jpg

Yes, it does let you use any hobby points on top of the 15% reduction.  Saved €50.00 on an order yesterday with the discount and hobby points.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 11:44, Porfuera said:

I've been thinking about this because I recently purchased a European loco and a wagon to compare to UK outline (a Piko BR 223 Eurorunner loco and a Tillig double-container flat Sggmrs wagon) and I didn't find the difference in loading gauge to be too severe.

Maybe the examples I bought aren't typical but also I guess that as the scale gets smaller then the differences get less (so the difference in a scale like HO would look 'worse'). Obviously if you had a layout with structures (especially platforms) then even this small difference might cause problems.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos from above comparing the loading gauges. The first is an HST on the left and the Eurorunner on the right while the second is an Arnold container flat on the left (grey) and the German one on the right (blue). I think the container flat is possibly a bit deceptive because it has the tie-down hooks mounted on outriggers rather than it being a full-width wagon whereas the Arnold container flat has the hooks mounted on the body.

20240427_110313.jpg.186a962add001d1bb912d53adbeae314.jpg

20240427_110815.jpg.5ec07559159fa3787e00c934fb200bc4.jpg

Loco comparison is interesting, I think it's the wrong wagon to compare as the dimensions will be largely dictated by the size of the shipping containers.  (but as you note, it's the one you have)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Porfuera said:

The new issue of the TT:120 Club magazine is now available to download here

Interesting to see they've included a piece about the PECO PO wagons.

• Agree 2

Would the MK2F coaches be the right thing to put behind the blue Class 50? I had thought there was a bigger gap between the train release and that of suitable stock, but they are saying May 17th. I see the MK2Es are still next year, and that could be what I am thinking of. 

2 hours ago, le_james said:

Would the MK2F coaches be the right thing to put behind the blue Class 50? I had thought there was a bigger gap between the train release and that of suitable stock, but they are saying May 17th. I see the MK2Es are still next year, and that could be what I am thinking of. 

I had wondered the same thing. I may be waaaay off (I really am talking out of my @rse here) but I thought the 2Fs were introduced for WCML use until most services were taken over my Mk3s. Obviously, I stand to be corrected!

Hopefully this is the right place to ask. Does anyone know if curved points are planned for the track range? I've had a hunt around online and can't find any mention. It's just that I've got a layout plan in mind that would work much better (and would be significantly cheaper) without having to use Peco HOm units.

2 minutes ago, PatB said:

Hopefully this is the right place to ask. Does anyone know if curved points are planned for the track range? I've had a hunt around online and can't find any mention. It's just that I've got a layout plan in mind that would work much better (and would be significantly cheaper) without having to use Peco HOm units.

I'm sure curved points have been mentioned by Hornby at some point, but no time scale. However Tillig make curved points for TT:120. They are code 83 rail, Hornby is  code 80 and Peco is code 55 rail. They also sell them as kits to save a bit of money.

Hope this helps.

Best

Dan

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, froobyone said:

I'm sure curved points have been mentioned by Hornby at some point, but no time scale. However Tillig make curved points for TT:120. They are code 83 rail, Hornby is  code 80 and Peco is code 55 rail. They also sell them as kits to save a bit of money.

Hope this helps.

Best

Dan

The Peco rail is Code 83 with a code 55 visible railhead so a better match for the Tillig rail height. I know some N gauge modellers face challenges matching Peco Code 55 with Peco Code 80 seamlessly.