RMweb

Hornby Dublo 2023 Flying Scotsman.

Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, micklner said:

The pivoting axle type sounds like the very old Tender Drive chassis?. Hornby using up old stock??.

Yeah I’d say quite possibly. Glad that the new one doesn’t have this feature 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I just opened the tender on 103 to fit a decoder. 

I thought I would take a picture of the top side of the tender part of the coupling arrangement while the top was off.

Works fine a 8 Hornby Gresleys behind it.

IMG_3721.jpg.9403a0c38a86530bd701b769e85967aa.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Any suggestions of suitable lamps to fit to the BR late crest version?

Not caring about them working or anything just think the lamp irons look rather bare next to Green Arrow which had them in its detail pack to fit.

Need to be prepainted - my painting skills are non existant.

2 hours ago, Kaput said:

Any suggestions of suitable lamps to fit to the BR late crest version?

Not caring about them working or anything just think the lamp irons look rather bare next to Green Arrow which had them in its detail pack to fit.

Need to be prepainted - my painting skills are non existant.

Personally I would go with Lanarkshire, but they need painting (not too difficult as it's only a bit of white).

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_150.htm

Pre painted, then look at Springside. Although some people think they look a bit overscale. Using Hattons as an easy link, other retailers sell them.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/142738/springside_models_da5_lner_white_head_and_tail_lamps_non_working_pack_of_5/stockdetail

Might say LNER but they were still in use well into the 1980s. They also do the BR type and others (GWR/SR/LMS).

https://www.hattons.co.uk/414527/springside_models_da19spr_br_white_head_and_tail_lamps_non_working_pack_of_5/stockdetail

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well turns out I won’t be getting my USA Scotsman. I was emailed by Hornby when they arrived and told they would hold for 14 days to allow me the time to pay for it. I paid within 9 days. That was 3 weeks ago. Now I’ve received an email saying they are unable to fulfill the order and have cancelled it. I’m so furious. What’s the point in preordering direct from Hornby when even that can’t guarantee you’ll get it. Unbelievable. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

Sorry to hear that. Modelbahn Union has it still in stock if you're looking for one.

I did see that. Hopefully it’s still available by the time my refund comes through 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Haha Hornby really do make me wet myself sometimes. After they cancelled my fully paid for order for the Dublo USA Scotsman, I get this email today. Unbelievable! 

IMG_2353.png

I found my email amusing too. TBH if they had put Railcom into them I'd be keen to try one out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

So I finally managed to get my hands on a Dublo USA Scotsman from a Local shop here in New Zealand. Paid about £150 extra on top of what I paid from Hornby but thrilled to finally have it in my collection. Certificate number 38/500. Interesting to see the changes to the 2nd tender. Especially love the new tender to 2nd tender coupling and the sprung rear buffers.

IMG_2550.jpeg

IMG_2551.jpeg

IMG_2552.jpeg

IMG_2553.jpeg

IMG_2555.jpeg

IMG_2556.jpeg

IMG_2557.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

So I finally managed to get my hands on a Dublo USA Scotsman from a Local shop here in New Zealand. Paid about £150 extra on top of what I paid from Hornby but thrilled to finally have it in my collection. Certificate number 38/500. Interesting to see the changes to the 2nd tender. Especially love the new tender to 2nd tender coupling and the sprung rear buffers.

IMG_2550.jpeg

IMG_2551.jpeg

IMG_2552.jpeg

IMG_2553.jpeg

IMG_2555.jpeg

IMG_2556.jpeg

IMG_2557.jpeg

Nice to see that they have finally updated the second tender 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AdamOrmorod said:

The body still looks like the ancient tooling?

Yep the body is but it does have separate handrails now and the underframe has been modified to have a kinematic coupling mount at the front and the rear is NEM now. The underframe also no longer has the pivoting rear axle either. 

Edited by Hilux5972
Added

• 3 months later...

Am I correct that Hornby have put a diecast body on their recently (2021) retooled A 3 chassis with (still) wheelsets having plastic spokes? Thus, they sell an express steam loco advertising a die-cast body but delivering plastic wheels at an RRP of £ 362 without sound and with an outdated 8-pin socket? Impressive...

Best,

Mark