Restoring a L&YR Class 21 0-4-0ST

• RMweb Gold

No, they won't fit. 

I've used these-

Bachmann 36-025 Couplings Mini Type Short X10 OO Gauge. 

Just trimmed the sides to fit as per my photo above. 

36-025-2434-large.jpg.c2e3d08259ed837b9e97d4f7e037905c.jpg

X9289 won't fit. 

They need an NEM pocket and there isn't one and there's no way to fit one......Keep it simple, use the above Bachmann jobs. 

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Just got back from work and found two parcels for me. I think these are the loco and the transfers.

Photos deleted by OP author

You may want to delete the first photo in the above post, as although you have carefully redacted  your own personal details, you have left the third party sender's fully visible on a public forum. Always good etiquette to respect other's privacy.

Cheers.

Edited by longchap

8 minutes ago, longchap said:

You may want to delete the first photo in the above post, as although you have carefully redacted  your own personal details, you have left the third party sender's fully visible on a public forum. Always good etiquette to respect other's privacy.

Cheers.

Oh yeah. Just realized. Thanks for letting me know.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, griffgriff said:

@longchap you might need to amend your post for the same reason you gave?

Griff

Thanks and I perfectly understood that when posting and will check later this evening when the OP actions the issue, as I'm assuming the site software will pull through any revisions to the quoted post. If not, I will sort it.

Cheers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

the lack of vacuum pipes

Under the bufferbeam on 51218 in preservation (and might get in the way of your tension lock couplings) and not fitted before in L&Y/LMS/BR days.

• Informative/Useful 1

I've put a Bachmann steam locomotive crew figure in the cab on the right hand side of the loco. This is to represent the fireman. A driver will be fitted in due course. 

Also, I've lost the top part of the whistle. It snapped off today and as I was trying to glue it back on, it got lost in the carpet and now I can't find it. 

16661958500145333418373867645497.jpg.2050422e60ca7a07173f1c45a019cec0.jpg

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall

Ok, so I've found a replacement bit. Turns out the bit that fell off is the actual whistle. So I've salvaged something from my Lancaster (sorry ED932!) and fixed it in position with support from a rather large 10p coin. It'll be trimmed to size once it's glued properly. Judging from photos I've taken, I reckon the top of the whistle is about the same height as the safety valves.

It might not be the right thickness but I don't think I'll be able to tell the difference when I've done it. 

16661982141123632269320615654480.jpg.0767e05010fcf5e9e5e7fff53ac4e143.jpg

I've had a problem with the smokebox numberplate. Unfortunately, the transfer ripped as I was painting the bufferbeams. I've "cut and shut" two numberplates to make another "51218" and backed it on to card. This is only temporary though as I've got an etched replacement on the way alongside a depot plate brought from Light Railway Stores. 

1666366336093888111631480128512.jpg.6875dc1bdfcd9eaf5d9f6c4489a5a128.jpg

I test ran the loco on the layout yesterday and, although it's a bit of an awkward runner, it does work. I think that's because track hasn't been cleaned in a while. It should be a smoother runner when the track has been cleaned and when I've used it a lot more times. 

ISTR mine just fell to bits!

It was one of the original ones when they came out back in 1984 or whatever it was, and I don't think it ever ran well. Eventually the wheels started to go funny and then it expired. Funnily enough the Austerity "Warrington" was a great runner.

Both here awaiting replacement chassis. But I might keep Warrington as it is for sentimental reasons. If I wanted another Austerity or J94, I could just buy an EFE one.

Jason