Restoring a L&YR Class 21 0-4-0ST

47 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I've heard nothing of the etched smokebox numberplate and shedcode plates. Might be a while until I get them. 

Light Railway Stores is a small operation, so there's always a wait, but always well worth it. I ordered some plates on Sept. 14 and they contacted me on Oct. 18 with the design for my approval. I should get them in the mail any time now.

• Informative/Useful 1

I test ran the locomotive yesterday after reassembling it back together a few days ago. I was unsure if it would run after the problem with the copper contacts. Thankfully, it did run, sort of. The track was then cleaned and the loco was tested again. It ran better than it did before I cleaned the track, but not smoothly enough. I decided to clean the wheels after I screwed the couplings on. A bit of fine sandpaper was rubbed all over the wheels and it has yet to be test ran. It's now next door with the layout and the rest of the rolling stock.

IMG_20221028_202126_563.jpg.d43ce532c6e1495ec9b1542f12ef81fb.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I test ran the locomotive yesterday after reassembling it back together a few days ago. I was unsure if it would run after the problem with the copper contacts. Thankfully, it did run, sort of. The track was then cleaned and the loco was tested again. It ran better than it did before I cleaned the track, but not smoothly enough. I decided to clean the wheels after I screwed the couplings on. A bit of fine sandpaper was rubbed all over the wheels and it has yet to be test ran. It's now next door with the layout and the rest of the rolling stock.

IMG_20221028_202126_563.jpg.d43ce532c6e1495ec9b1542f12ef81fb.jpg

Sandpaper is not ideal for wheel cleaning.

I use a fibreglass abrasive pen, followed by a cotton bud or piece of kitchen paper soaked in lighter fuel. (Make sure there is good ventilation, and no naked lights).

CJI.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Plus one for the fibre pen/ lighter fluid or equivalent. Sandpaper is a definate no no. 

As for the running, try backing off the bottom screw holding the motor to the chassis. Too tight and the running will suffer so screwing it all the way in is not necessarily a good thing. Try a quarter of a turn at a time...

Rob. 

• Agree 4

On 29/10/2022 at 13:11, cctransuk said:

I use a fibreglass abrasive pen, followed by a cotton bud or piece of kitchen paper soaked in lighter fuel. (Make sure there is good ventilation, and no naked lights).

On 29/10/2022 at 13:28, NHY 581 said:

Plus one for the fibre pen/ lighter fluid or equivalent.

As in the lighters people use for smoking?

1 hour ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Was 51218 for any railtours back in the 50s/60s? I'm aware of one, which were the Whitworth Branch brake van trips on 19/02/1967 which was arranged by LCGB. There's a few photos of the trip including one of 51218 at Shawclough and Healey station. 

Only after it was preserved. I believe it did a handful in the late 1960s including at least one trip of the Trafford Park industrial railway system.

Jason

• 4 weeks later...

My understanding of how this works is that they send their custom work to the etchers in batches, which makes sense I suppose as you couldn't ask an etcher to do such things one at a time - they have standard brass sheet sizes to work with. They therefore send it off when they have filled the sheet with orders, which might be quick if you're the last one needed to fill it, but a while longer if you just missed the last one! Always a great service though.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 30/11/2022 at 14:32, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Finally heard from Light Railway Stores today. I've seen the artwork for the plates and it is good. 

I've sent them an email and confirmed that production can now go ahead.

Future reference.

247 would have sent you them by return post.

http://247developments.co.uk/BR_Mid.html

They also do LMS era and the large L&YR type.

Jason

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bit of an update on 51218:

It recently has had a service, i.e gears lubricated and wheels cleaned, and it now runs a lot better than it did when I first got it. Here's a photo from when I had it running on the freight only line after its service.

image.jpg.3df38178fd1a03ea2508dc80c793db20.jpg

It'll also be the first loco for Grosmont MPD when I get the layout out from storage. I recently discovered that the 'pug' visited the NYMR in the autumn of 2001. 

• Like 3

I'm visiting the Keighley Worth Valley Railway tomorrow (which will be my first time to the railway) and I'll be visiting  Oxenhope first. I'll have the chance to see the real 51218 and compare the model to the prototype. 

I won't be taking the model along with me though. That's staying on the layout.

• 3 months later...

Bit of an update:

Unfortunately didn't see 51218 at Oxenhope on 04/02/23 as it was, I was told, in Haworth Engine Sheds which the public can't access. However, I am visiting the railway in a few weeks time so hopefully, I'll see it then. 

Also put the smokebox numberplate on.

16839127803777098233363980338225.jpg.a0b1df89cdcb6cb7d74066f7a77c0288.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JeffP said:

Just read through this.

You seem to have had trouble with transfers?

Did you seal over them with matt/satin varnish?

Yeah, it was a bit of a fath putting them on but I'm experienced with that sort of thing as I've built Airfix/Revell kits of aircraft so I put them on like how I would when I'm doing the aircraft kits.

No, I haven't sealed them.

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Got some bad news concerning 51218.

Recently, 51218's motor burnt out while undergoing test runs after a service on Tuesday at the club. I'm unable to find a replacement motor despite looking on Ebay for one. I've removed the motor earlier tonight so it has now got a free rolling chassis.

However, all is not lost as it'll still be part of Oxendale's loco fleet but will be working with another loco as it is no longer powered.

• Friendly/supportive 2