RMweb

Euston - we have a problem

rapidoandy

You just know looking at the first second of that CCTV what's going to happen. However, fair play to you guys for being 100% honest about what's gone on, and obviously announcing this news quickly to hopefully avoid any issues later down the line as you say of "where's my order" etc.

Credit where credit's due, keep up the amazing work and all the best with sorting out the mess. Fingers crossed it's not as bad as it looks.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Round of applause for the honest again by the team at Rapido

This probably isn't a constructive comment, but I used to work for a well known clothing retailer and all the lorry lifts had guard rail things, basically a 12 inch high metal flap, to stop stuff rolling off and I never understand why this isn't a standard thing?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Well played Rapido for the honest update and the thorough measures being undertaken to ensure faulty models don't end up with customers. If only all manufacturers were as transparent.. Very much looking forward to my 1938 lined LNER example, whenever it, um, lands. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember a few years ago, a certain Rapido employee dropping boxed rolling stock from a scaffold tower (somewhat higher than a tail lift) to show how good the packaging was, ergo, other than a few damaged boxes, (cheap stock clearance, put me down for one?!!) I have every confidence there won't be any damage.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Well done Rapido on the honesty!

12 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

This is  why Accurascale  stuff comes in massive boxes :-)

But then you have to find space for it haha

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Why, when someone is looking on at an accident event about to happen that they could do something about to help prevent happening, oh why don't they actually do something rather than just watch on and let it happen...?

19 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Why, when someone is looking on at an accident event about to happen that they could do something about to help prevent happening, oh why don't they actually do something rather than just watch on and let it happen...?

You mean the bloke in the warehouse? I think that's a bit unfair. Firstly, it's all over in seconds; secondly he does actually walk towards the lorry as it gets really silly; and thirdly, when it comes down to it, what's he supposed to do other than shout a warning (which he may have done, though it doesn't look like it, and again there's no time for the bloke on the lorry to react to it anyway) or put himself under a pallet of over 800 carriages?

I say this as someone who could well be watching the demise of my dynamometer car in that footage. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I have to say that these 'newcomers' are clearly going a lot further than the old established firms when it comes to customer relations and keeping customers informed.   I recall some years ago the reason given for the delay to a Hornby model was that it had failed 'the drop test' - cue howls of laughter and mentions of new excuses and so on.  But now, thanks to Rapido, we know all about the real world and have seen how such a test might be carried out - proving that they do exist (unfortunately).  

Brilliant PR; shame about the delay for customers; sympathy for the problem and the extra work dumped (sorry) on Rapido -  but at least you've not only told the world about it but have even produced a pretty good quality video which doesn't appear to have even the slightest hint of being fake news.😇

BTW Will you be entering the video for the 'Unboxing Video Of The year' award (or should that be the 'Unpalleting Video .. etc' ?

PS I'd prefer you not to test my 15XX in this manner if you'd be so kind , pretty please😇

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Helmdon said:

You mean the bloke in the warehouse? I think that's a bit unfair. Firstly, it's all over in seconds; secondly he does actually walk towards the lorry as it gets really silly; and thirdly, when it comes down to it, what's he supposed to do other than shout a warning (which he may have done, though it doesn't look like it, and again there's no time for the bloke on the lorry to react to it anyway) or put himself under a pallet of over 800 carriages?

I say this as someone who could well be watching the demise of my dynamometer car in that footage. 

44 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I hope this incident results in some changes to the unloading methods! It looked wobbly and the tail-lift looked very small from the word go.

My feeling on seeing the video at the very start, and the narrow size of the tail lift, was that someone else should have been there keeping an eye on where the pallet was and making sure the forks operator knew that the pallet wasn't going to be on the lift out of alignment in an unsafe fashion. The guy in the warehouse seemed to be doing nothing else but looking on, when he, as far as I can tell, should have been there providing guidance.

• Agree 4

13 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

My feeling on seeing the video at the very start, and the narrow size of the tail lift, was that someone else should have been there keeping an eye on where the pallet was and making sure the forks operator knew that the pallet wasn't going to be on the lift out of alignment in an unsafe fashion. The guy in the warehouse seemed to be doing nothing else but looking on, when he, as far as I can tell, should have been there providing guidance.

And if you get involved and there is an accident then your insurance may be invalidated because the lorry driver was taking your instructions or the carrier may claim he was just doing as asked and it led to an accident.

It’s best to leave it alone until the handover where it ceases to be the carrier’s responsibility and it becomes the warehouse’s responsibility.

• Like 1
  • Agree 14

It is up to the delivery team to deliver to the warehouse, unfortunately if the warehouse man interfered too much the insurance companies would have a field day in deciding how blame was apportioned. Looks more like the delivery driver needs more training on using the pallet mover. 

Accidents do happen and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Sorry to hear, the main thing is no one was injured which sadly is not always the case in tail lift incidents. I am surprised that bearing in mind pallets are not square that the driver didn't reposition the pump truck through 90 degrees before putting it on the tail lift. Or as the guy on the ground had a pump truck why the driver didn't present it on the tail lift straight and then remove his pump truck

• Like 1
  • Agree 7