Heljan ES1 exclusive for Locomotion and Rails of Sheffield

AY Mod

1 hour ago, AlfaZagato said:

Was that route electrified? Or were they moved as traffic?  

Both.

Pic shows South Gosforth carriage sheds. Third rails are visible. They worked alternate rotas and could be seen being hauled by both diesel or steam shunters between turns.

Better image here:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/gallery/the-story-of-the-metro-7289140

and here...

https://flic.kr/p/ZExybE

and a bit of history.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/history/gallery/unseen-photographs-throw-new-light-23935529

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Notwithstanding what's said on the accompanying booklet [and reproduced in the OP] Trafalgar yard was east, not north of Central Station. In simple terms its on the south side of the East Coast Main Line, while the much bigger Manors yard was adjacent on the north side. I don't know whether it was possible to cross between the two under power, but once on the Manors side the line all the way up to the car sheds was electrified with a third rail

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just going through the roster putting anything that's not had a run for a while on the LT tester (The joys of shift work 👍) and have the NER electric 26500 running - what a fabulous model - well done Locomotion, Rails & Heljan 👌

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I'm still tempted with this loco and with the Locomotion version being reduced I might get one.

Anyone know if you need a special decoder for this loco?

Thanks

• Like 1

On 20/03/2024 at 18:03, Peter749 said:

I'm still tempted with this loco and with the Locomotion version being reduced I might get one.

Anyone know if you need a special decoder for this loco?

Thanks

Good question on the decoder!

I am hoping Rails do an Easter sale and we might see further reductions on theirs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't think it needs anything special decoder wise, theres no fancy lighting functions.

Locomotion were selling them for £100 at Ally Pally, kinda regretting not grabbing one at that price.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

They were £150 on the stand at Model Rail Scotland but heading to York. If they are at £100 I will definitely get one.

• Like 1

Does anyone know a suitable ModelU stand-in for a driver? The cab is very big and well illuminated, making the absence of crew more obvious. Does anyone know if they ran with a second-man?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/01/2023 at 18:04, Porcy Mane said:

P4 next then?

Heljan-ES1-PwD-055-EditSm.jpg.7c8b4ffd906ba1d99adb27d3c5a09f8c.jpg

Is there any chance you could show how you converted them in more detail? I'm looking at getting one for a 1908-23 EM Layout based in the area these ran but other than this there is no info on converting them.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2024 at 18:08, Emery Hill Station said:

Is there any chance you could show how you converted them in more detail?

Apologies; I’ve just seen this post.

My conversion involved quite a lot of lathe work to adapt Gibson 12mm Steel conducting wheelsets.

If you don’t have a lathe probably your best bet is to contact Branchlines to see if any of their stub axle conversion sets would be suitable. The Heljan ES1 uses 1.5mm dia. Stub axles.

For an EM conversion you may be able to get away with pulling the wheels out on their stub axles but the wheel width would need reducing as their excess width may lead to problems with the axles not passing into the copper pick up enough and a clash within the distance apart of the cosmetic side frames.

My conversion involved the turning of a chucking ring to allow boring and working on both the front and rear faces of the Gibson wheels;

Turning a combined spacer/top hat bush to be a tight friction fit in the Gibson wheelset.

Thinning the wheel to 1.8mm width.

Boring the combined wheel/top hat to accept a new 1.5mm stainless stub axle.

The picture attached to the post you quoted shows most of the modifications. The exploded pic below may give you some pointers.

Heljan-ES1-PwD-029-PwD-2024-EditSm.jpg.421837f7a2f95d87337b3fca67cd795f.jpg

P

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2