The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Christmas TV Food Ads

Peter Kazmierczak

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Am I turning into Mr Scrooge?

Why am I getting annoyed by so many TV adverts showing tables piled-high with Christmas fayre?
Does anyone really dish up all their food at once? Wouldn't the veg be cold? Wouldn't the ice cream melt?

Bah humbug...

Peter

Stand back from the television, turn around and make your way to the modelling table. Your well being is a high priority for both you and everyone else. 

Serious head on. Those adverts are seriously damaging to lower income families, they feel they need to aspire to what they see when they cannot afford to. Stepping down off my soap box.

• Like 1
  • Agree 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Serious head on. Those adverts are seriously damaging to lower income families, they feel they need to aspire to what they see when they cannot afford to. Stepping down off my soap box.

Isn't that the point of advertising full stop, to try to get people to aspire to whatever's being shown?

• Agree 2

There's a lot of comment in the press about the supermarkets toning down their festive ads in the face of the current cost of living crisis, though as noted above, that doesn't seem to be reflected in the festive spreads.  And in the case of one (the cook and the medieval banquet) I didn't realise that it was a Christmas ad at all!

In my defence, I'll admit that if I'm on a commercial channel, I mute the sound so I tend to miss what they're pushing, only catching glimpses when I look to see if its all over and unmute when its back to the programme I was actually watching...

One ad that seems to have crept under the radar at present is Aldis latest Kevin the Carrot tale, possibly as the first episode is devoid of in-your-face festive spreads!

Edited by Hroth
Kevin

• RMweb Premium

I assumed 'everybody' has been doing the same as me and anyone else I know for at least a decade, recording to Sky/Freeview box and skipping the ads. on playback...

Edited by spamcan61
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

I assumed 'everybody' has been doing the same as me and anyone else I know for at least a decade, recording to Sky/Freeview box and skipping the ads. on playback...

I usually just go and make a cup of tea, or have a handy book or similar, since I haven't actually had any means of recording since the VHS recorder went to the tip many years ago.

1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Why am I getting annoyed by so many TV adverts showing tables piled-high with Christmas fayre?
Does anyone really dish up all their food at once? Wouldn't the veg be cold? Wouldn't the ice cream melt?

Bah humbug...

Shouldn't the veg already be on?

47 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

We freed ourselves from the tyranny of the satelite/aerial lead some time ago and get all our telly off the internet.

Downside is that the commerical channels' apps don't let you skip ads.

My simple answer is (almost) don't watch the thing, although I will admit to intending (providing memory works ok) watching Top Gear on Sunday when I understand Fred Flintoff takes part in a formula 1 stock car race.

Can't say I feel I've missed out in well over 5 years now.

If there was only me in the house wouldn't even have one.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, 30801 said:

We freed ourselves from the tyranny of the satelite/aerial lead some time ago and get all our telly off the internet.

Yes I rapidly uninstalled them once I'd realised that!

39 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Shouldn't the veg already be on?

33 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Sprouts definitely 🤣

Sprouts?  Should have been put on 10 days ago. I find that the best place to boil 'em is in the outhouse in an old Baby Burco, formerly used for nappies.

• Funny 1

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Similar. I can suffer it considering the saving plus we've ditched the fixed-line broadband reducing costs and now 'suffering' speeds of 400-500 Mbps.

Smug. Until a mast goes down.

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Similar. I can suffer it considering the saving plus we've ditched the fixed-line broadband reducing costs and now 'suffering' speeds of 400-500 Mbps.

It's OK apart from Channel Four which sometimes doesn't resume programmes from where you left off and forces you to watch _all_ the ad breaks as you try to skip to where you were.

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, great central said:

My simple answer is (almost) don't watch the thing, although I will admit to intending (providing memory works ok) watching Top Gear on Sunday when I understand Fred Flintoff takes part in a formula 1 stock car race.

Can't say I feel I've missed out in well over 5 years now.

If there was only me in the house wouldn't even have one.

Surely you must be watching The Crown as well!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great central said:

I know of such things due to the constant racket on the news media and such like but as for sitting down and watching........

5 seasons apparently and I've yet to see one minute - discounting previous that I might accidentally come across.

• Like 1

Dunno what you're complaining about!

Have a look for old Christmas ad compilations on youtube!

A cornucopia of long gone products and businesses!

And look at the size of those tins of chocolates...

On 10/11/2022 at 14:19, spamcan61 said:

I'm rather bemused by that, seeing as how this household gave up the television in 1981 ...

• RMweb Premium
On 10/11/2022 at 14:20, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Bah humbug...

I once had a discussion with a lady who was responsible for cooking and presenting the fare for advertisements. The ice cream would most certainly not melt - or rather it would melt under the lights for the film shoot if it were ice cream.  Then - and most probably now - the "ice cream" is mashed potato.

Smoke and mirrors in spades.