Class 50, By Accurascale

44 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

So 3 different body sides there

Original

50041 Reading

(flickr url/ not mine)

Later 1970/80’s with the body side filler holes above the bogie filled, but not the front

(Was this mod made to all 50 ?)

50027 Paddington

(flickr url not mine)

and of course refurbished

where you can see all the mods..

02/02/1980 - Doncaster Works.

(flickr url / not mine)

That middle shot is the classic Paddington shot for me I think. I really liked the original HST as well, easy to collect the set numbers on the noses - then they made some spares which didn’t have them…oh …

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

and of course refurbished

where you can see all the mods..

(flickr url / not mine)

i didnt know the bottom of the grilles swung out like that, and the other end, do the louvres on the inner end come out as a panel for access?

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, amwells said:

Sorry if I’ve caused offence - I was genuinely trying to be helpful. But I can also see who has agreed with your post so I must have upset more than just you! I’ll delete my post in the morning as I genuinely thought producing a little table of liveries and models was helpful to the discussion. 

If opinion on liveries is all that is wanted, can we please have a proper D400 in 1991 blue as sponsored by Rail Magazine. 

Hi @amwells,

We found it a most useful list to be honest, many thanks for uploading!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

29 minutes ago, big jim said:

i didnt know the bottom of the grilles swung out like that, and the other end, do the louvres on the inner end come out as a panel for access?

The other end - no, they are the famous slats, like an old xpelair kitchen fan, and an ideal way to lose a finger or two, they used to pop open/closed depending on the thermostat, but this wasnt reliable and you can manually open/close them

The end closer to the camera housed the electronics, a lot of which was removed in the refurbishment, so not sure if access from outside was needed anymore, but any major repair work I've seen lately has seen the items craned in/out from above

1 hour ago, big jim said:

There's very little behind the hinged grilles at the No.2 end now, mostly just the frame for the air filters, which you can see in the pic as the grey verticals. At the No.1 end, the inner of the three grilles comes out as pictured, the top three-quarters or so, the bottom slats are welded in place. The two sets of moveable radiator slats alongside will come out as complete units but it's a monumental pain in the backside to do, even worse getting them back in!

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

(flickr url / not mine)

2 hours ago, big jim said:

There's not many pics though of the whole cab front swung upwards to allow the depot staff to get at the dust bag.

• Like 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I don’t really need another 50, I might be persuaded by an AS 50 if something like 50011 Centurion or 50030 Repulse is done in LL Blue (with no cant rail stripe).

Of course if 50007 in GWR Green is announced, that’s a surefire wallet opener!! 😉 😉

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, woodenhead said:

There's not many pics though of the whole cab front swung upwards to allow the depot staff to get at the dust bag.

That is because the silly little plastic catch used to break off.  They started taping the cabs on with duct tape when they broke off !!!!!!

• Funny 7

7 hours ago, Covkid said:

That is because the silly little plastic catch used to break off.  They started taping the cabs on with duct tape when they broke off !!!!!!

Mine have problems with hair getting wrapped round the axles. 

(Should stop using them on carpet, Sam's Trains Ed.)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 28/12/2022 at 16:02, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

We interrupt our mince pie scoffing to share some good news! Tooling for the Class 50 is complete and first test shots of the moulds have taken place.

212101-1.jpg.32d31374684488f39b1c0637f5730914.jpg

2120-01.jpg.2611e9efc0e174acffe5a83422b94157.jpg

2120-12.jpg.2d313d7ef65fac39411d0b087af3387e.jpg

2120-06.jpg.b7a247db25d1a699cb9efce408a035ad.jpg

We look forward to sharing a completed EP sample with you next month.

Anyway, back to the mince pies.

Cheers!

Fran 

I wonder who gets the treat of assembling all the bits together?

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I wonder who gets the treat of assembling all the bits together?

The factory team will assemble one of each variation, as well as a sending a big box of sprues to us / the project manager to play with :) 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, McC said:

The factory team will assemble one of each variation, as well as a sending a big box of sprues to us / the project manager to play with :) 

Such fun , must be like being an Elf on xmas eve !

• Friendly/supportive 1

50037 in Laira blue, similar to 50019, always stood out as a 'missed' model to me, so hopefully it will get covered.  It didn't last long I gather but I remember seeing it about at least once.  I see only little mention in the last couple of pages (useful list in Excel by the way - thanks!).

I would also like to see 50135 in Loadhaul, having seen it at Eastleigh Depot Open Day.

I have the excellent Hornby / Rail Exclusive 50149 model but a sound fitted, latest release model would be great... I could still put the RE one in a show cabinet, so not a wasted model.

Having now heard the 92 and Deltic models, I have no doubt about ordering Sound versions of these iconic locos...

I am so looking forward to future release announcements but the H&H and 50017 NSE are almost certainly purchases for me this time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 97403_Ixion said:

50037 in Laira blue, similar to 50019, always stood out as a 'missed' model to me, so hopefully it will get covered.  It didn't last long I gather but I remember seeing it about at least once.  I see only little mention in the last couple of pages (useful list in Excel by the way - thanks!).

I didnt know about 50037, thanks for that….

in searching for a Flickr image I found this even more interesting image of 50037…

50037+55007 (1A14); King's Cross; 15-03-1979

(flickr url / not mine)

Meanwhile 50037 in laira blue

img119

flickr url / not mine

• Like 4

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I didnt know about 50037, thanks for that….

in searching for a Flickr image I found this even more interesting image of 50037…

Yes, that's the one and a good close up photo by the photographer!

It surprised me when I first saw it thinking it was 50019, also doing the rounds at the time.  I then wondered if there were more but apart from 50008 with smaller numbers, I believe 50019 and 50037 were the only two 'similar' ones.  It suited them as a basic, more plain livery, especially with the black window surrounds and grey roof.

Just now, Simon Bendall said:

50037 was in Laira blue for about three months.

And was a bit of a surprise one as it had been in original NSE for a while. There was a Laira blue one dumped around the back of the goods shed at Exeter st David’s for a while, can anyone remember if that was Illustrious or was it 50019 maybe?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Phil Mc said:

And here she is....

1657980407_Scan_20140815(10).jpg.017b97c01f2bc5ac7d633058d40b6270.jpg

1233898933_Scan_20140815(11).jpg.c9d89ff20f2b2f8be9f2a4925672b488.jpg

Cheers,

Phil.

Ah brilliant. That’s exactly what I remember. Nice to see a bit of the Exeter spare set lurking next to the goods shed too!

Thinking about it, was that the one that got stuck on the low loader at the bottom of Holloway Street when they removed it?

Edited by Cowley 47521

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

And was a bit of a surprise one as it had been in original NSE for a while. There was a Laira blue one dumped around the back of the goods shed at Exeter st David’s for a while, can anyone remember if that was Illustrious or was it 50019 maybe?

I  believe it may have been 019. The images were used as reference for my Horny refinish.