Class 50, By Accurascale

54 minutes ago, sirwilliamfrs said:

A manufacturer, Accurascale, goes out of their way to make life easier for modellers by introducing a removeable roof panel and gets criticised for it on a painted sample. I'm sure if the experts on here have noticed an anomaly, so will Accurascale themselves. Less chance of damaging your model, therefore more chance of being able to use the lifetime guarantee if needed, what more can you wish for? The liveries look great by the way.

Well , it’s hardly up there with splitting the atom..

everyone’s entitled to their view , and he was just pointing it out . I’m sure the faith I have in the Emerald Isle team , means it’ll be sorted .

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, shunny said:

What's crazy is if I had pointed this out on a Hornby or Heljan model everyone would have agreed and said how bad it looks even though there samples are just as put together at this stage as everyone else's but because I've pointed it out on an accurascale it seems to be an sin to point it out. They seem to welcome feedback so I gave them my thoughts especially as panel is different and doesn't go to all the way to body sides like other models so is more noticeable.

I can understand your perspective and had this of been The Emerald teams first loco, I’d be sharing my thoughts also, however, having seen the quality of their products to date, and knowing how actively engaged they are with not only this forum but also from their customer support, I think it’s fair to say they will get it right. The post acknowledges there are fit and finish issues, we know they will be addressed. Other manufacturers have form for not accepting criticism or critique and push pushing product out the door errors and all. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, 90136 said:

I can understand your perspective and had this of been The Emerald teams first loco, 

I am a proud Irishman but with 3 irish team members and 12 british it’s probably unfair to label us the emerald team ;) 

• Like 5
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

I'm also not a fan of the removable roof trend. Personally don't see any point in it unless you expect a need to replace smoking decoders. 

There are some nice aspects of the model and I'm looking forward to a production version to see the fit of the body to the chassis as you noted the fit isn't great. Have you managed a way of fitting scale wheels and keeping a nice ride height? Tricky and something Hornby couldn't do. 

When people have to watch lots of videos just to open a box, then it's a no brainer to have a removable panel

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, McC said:

I am a proud Irishman but with 3 irish team members and 12 british it’s probably unfair to label us the emerald team ;) 

A fair point 😉

10 hours ago, McC said:

Sorry , no offence intended , it’s just a convenient shorthand to differentiate with blue box and red box . Can we call you green box ? Even though it isn’t ..;)

• Funny 2

40 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Sorry , no offence intended , it’s just a convenient shorthand to differentiate with blue box and red box . Can we call you green box ? Even though it isn’t ..;)

I think we should call them Huge Box!

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

None at all remotely taken. We are grey / charcoal boxes tho to stick with the box based nomenclature 😃

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Ok im still puzzled about the body fit issue. Is this a problem related to using more scale wheels and then having to have a gap to go round tight curves?

I'm hoping there's not a Hornby solution to this issue and I was wondering if you've got a cunning plan as hinted earlier in the thread.

So the model looks great but then so did the Deltic. So the issues for me with the Deltic were the were the bogie chains and the flimseyness of the nose steps. So my questions would be are the bogie chains connected to the body or chassis?  How robust are the front steps? I notice on my Bachmann Class 20 the steps seem to be a much more plyable plastic than the Deltic which wouldnt easily break

1 hour ago, trevor7598 said:

I think we should call them Huge Box!

Ahh, Hugh G Box, star of the 1930s cinema...

If it re-assures those concerned about panel fit and fragile details, I have two 37s which have survived my clumsy handling and I assume they have removable panels as I can't see any joins and as they already make noise, I haven't had to access the interior, but the roof panels all look good to me.  I didn't get a Deltic as they weren't that common around the Midlands so I can't comment from experience on any chains but I do recall reading they were re engineered in the later batch.

Did the 50s have the same chains as the Deltics?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McC said:

None at all remotely taken. We are grey / charcoal boxes tho to stick with the box based nomenclature 😃

As a system it could almost work . Cavalex have orange boxes . Revolution have black boxes I think…. Probably recording your data and transmitting to the wife/ significant other … :)

• Funny 2

3 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Ok im still puzzled about the body fit issue. Is this a problem related to using more scale wheels and then having to have a gap to go round tight curves?

I'm hoping there's not a Hornby solution to this issue and I was wondering if you've got a cunning plan as hinted earlier in the thread.

When I spoke to Steve at Chester Cathedral last August he confirmed that they would be supplied with undersized wheels as per the Hornby version (and AC Deltic). He did also say that scale sized drop in wheels would be available for those with more generous curves - hopefully this will still be case. I'm personally hoping for scale sized wheels for 16.5mm gauge, but if not, hopefully the EM/P4 ones can be used with the centre gear shaft swapped? Only time will tell. 

At the end of the day, AC have to stick to the 2nd Radius Curve standard that seems to have become the norm, and there simply isn't another way round it I don't think. 

Bruce 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, D400 said:

When I spoke to Steve at Chester Cathedral last August he confirmed that they would be supplied with undersized wheels as per the Hornby version (and AC Deltic). He did also say that scale sized drop in wheels would be available for those with more generous curves - hopefully this will still be case. I'm personally hoping for scale sized wheels for 16.5mm gauge, but if not, hopefully the EM/P4 ones can be used with the centre gear shaft swapped? Only time will tell. 

At the end of the day, AC have to stick to the 2nd Radius Curve standard that seems to have become the norm, and there simply isn't another way round it I don't think. 

Bruce 

Thanks Bruce for your helpful reply.

Makes sense to me that for OO a smaller wheel is used. It'll be interesting to see how the ride height can be maintained with the different wheel sizes. I know Hornby didn't bother but their design allowed modification with a big old file :)

4 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Ahh, Hugh G Box, star of the 1930s cinema...

If it re-assures those concerned about panel fit and fragile details, I have two 37s which have survived my clumsy handling and I assume they have removable panels as I can't see any joins and as they already make noise, I haven't had to access the interior, but the roof panels all look good to me.  I didn't get a Deltic as they weren't that common around the Midlands so I can't comment from experience on any chains but I do recall reading they were re engineered in the later batch.

Did the 50s have the same chains as the Deltics?

Well they are not dissimilar, the issue with the Deltic for me was that you have effectively disconnect the the chains from the body in order to remove the body and re-attach with glue. That to me is bad design and OK you can argue that the need to remove the body is reduced with opening roof but there are still times you might want to remove the body. I gather the reworked Deltic will have a push fit which while better I'm not totally convinced will be ideal. For me the only satisfactory solution is to connect to the chassis so you can remove the body without touching the chains. So for me before I considered a 50 I would need to know more about the chains and body removal.

Edited by 40002

• RMweb Gold

On both the Deltic and the Class 50 the chain is connected to a bracket mounted on what is effectively the body. This is one reason why attaching it to the chassis is not as easy as the Class 37, where the chain bracket is actually mounted direct to the underside of the chassis on the real thing! The Deltic and Class 50 also require the base of the chassis to be much higher than the bottom of the body in order to accommodate the wheels (flanges and all), especially for guys that might want to install scale diameter OO, EM or P4 wheels. This means having cutouts in the body for the brackets which will make body removal more tricky and would also likely incur a visual penalty as well. It's not as simple as just "fitting it on the chassis".

Long story short, they will be easily attached as per the real thing, in a manner that will allow for body removal when needed, and still retail an accurate appearance. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, McC said:

On both the Deltic and the Class 50 the chain is connected to a bracket mounted on what is effectively the body. This is one reason why attaching it to the chassis is not as easy as the Class 37, where the chain bracket is actually mounted direct to the underside of the chassis on the real thing! The Deltic and Class 50 also require the base of the chassis to be much higher than the bottom of the body in order to accommodate the wheels (flanges and all), especially for guys that might want to install scale diameter OO, EM or P4 wheels. This means having cutouts in the body for the brackets which will make body removal more tricky and would also likely incur a visual penalty as well. It's not as simple as just "fitting it on the chassis".

Long story short, they will be easily attached as per the real thing, in a manner that will allow for body removal when needed, and still retail an accurate appearance. 

Thanks for that clarification I will have to look at the second run Deltic when it arrives before deciding whether or not to purchase a 50.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ajax50046 said:

May I ask - are the photos of the latest samples taken with scale sized wheels, or with the smaller ones that will be supplied? Thanks! 

As supplied. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Thanks Bruce for your helpful reply.

Makes sense to me that for OO a smaller wheel is used. It'll be interesting to see how the ride height can be maintained with the different wheel sizes. I know Hornby didn't bother but their design allowed modification with a big old file :)

Hmmm - I wonder when the first RTR loco will be produced at EM gauge and the rest of us heretics will then need to reduce the gauge to 16.5 mm rather than the status quo today ? 😬

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, Ajax50046 said:

May I ask - are the photos of the latest samples taken with scale sized wheels, or with the smaller ones that will be supplied? Thanks! 

This poses another question.

If you can't tell from the photos that you can zoom into much larger than the model will be, how noticeable will it be on the layout?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Hmmm - I wonder when the first RTR loco will be produced at EM gauge and the rest of us heretics will then need to reduce the gauge to 16.5 mm rather than the status quo today ? 😬

Imagine that eh? Well I think the answer is never! The 50 is a good example of the compromises needed for OO which I think punters will need to accept.

Although even with the 50 I think you can accommodate both.... but there are plenty of current models which simply don't consider EM/P4 and I've simply stopped buying those.