Class 50, By Accurascale

1 hour ago, Gary H said:

Apologies if it's already been covered in the thread,

but has this livery variation ever been done RTR in 00 ?

I rather like it, just seems a little different from the mainstream LL, pre-tops, named etc.

COVER UP......

Im sure it will be covered in a future run..

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Covkid said:

That looks to me as if you need Accurascale's "D423", then do two things :

Renumber it to you chosen TOPS numbers and BR arrows.

Fit the MU jumper cables - which Accurascale may even supply within the box

As far as I can tell, the only BR blue versions in the initial run are D423 without MU jumpers and 50006 with nameplates on the bodysides.  I am surprised Accuracale haven't chosen a BR TOPS numbered example as transferred from the LMR to the WR - prior to naming and prior to refurb. 

there more likely be a run 2

16 hours ago, Gary H said:

Apologies if it's already been covered in the thread,

but has this livery variation ever been done RTR in 00 ?

I rather like it, just seems a little different from the mainstream LL, pre-tops, named etc.

COVER UP......

From around 1973 to 1975 the 50s gained two covers on the roof above where two of the inertia filters were so strictly speaking pre-refurb 50s from that date should have them. I asked about it to Accurascale on this thread and they said it was a roof option they had tooled so will be coming in the future. Thinking about it all the named pre-refurb 50s will be needing the mod.

The D423 model won't have these covers so I am waiting for a new batch of releases so I can have about five or six un-named 50s from winter 1976.

• Like 3

Just a question on 50021 'Rodney'.

Watched a video yesterday of 50021 coming out Eastleigh with a fresh new paint job in BR Blue LL on the way to Swanage and looking exactly like the Accurascale model of this one thus was just wondering if the model being done could be passed off as the current prototype in Preservation?

I couldn't see any glaring detail differences but if the Class 50 experts or Accurascale could confirm that would be great.

Cheers Steve

7 hours ago, classy52 said:

Just a question on 50021 'Rodney'.

Watched a video yesterday of 50021 coming out Eastleigh with a fresh new paint job in BR Blue LL on the way to Swanage and looking exactly like the Accurascale model of this one thus was just wondering if the model being done could be passed off as the current prototype in Preservation?

I couldn't see any glaring detail differences but if the Class 50 experts or Accurascale could confirm that would be great.

Cheers Steve

I’m not an expert but I can’t see any reason why not. The 2024 version also has old school electric warning flashes so that’s a bonus , didn’t think they were allowed 

• Thanks 1

There is a sticker in one of the engine room windows detail how it was preserved and by whom. Unfortunately I post a picture of it, as one of the terms of my going around Eastleigh works, is that I can't share any pictures online taken on the day.

• Informative/Useful 1

Not my picture . I’m seeing ZG Eastleigh works depot sticker and that black writing in the engine window as pieguyrob said, easy amendment s

IMG_0123.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I’m not an expert but I can’t see any reason why not. The 2024 version also has old school electric warning flashes so that’s a bonus , didn’t think they were allowed 

Yes I saw that, which is weird to have the old flashes, and was one of the first things I compared from the video to the Accurascale model hence my OP...good spot.

2 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

There is a sticker in one of the engine room windows detail how it was preserved and by whom. Unfortunately I post a picture of it, as one of the terms of my going around Eastleigh works, is that I can't share any pictures online taken on the day.

Perhaps I could get away with that but another good piece of info, overall I couldn't see any difference between the AS model and the 2024 prototype.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The writing says:-

50021 Rodney

This locomotive, built by English Electric in 1968, was saved from being scrapped in 1991 by the 50021 Locomotive Association and was restored to use between 1993 and 2000.

Having been stored for fifeteen years, the locomotive was sold to Paul Spracklen in 2015 and moved to Eastleigh Works for a complete rebuild. This restoration would not have been possible without the dedication and hard work of Paul Spracklen, Wayne Duggan, Lee Freeman, Nick Allen, George Browning Nicholas Wren, John Bryant and, Ken Schiller - with help from a few others.

The rebuild could not have happened without the tremendous support of Barry Stephens and Arlington Fleet Services at Eastleigh Works.

What is now proved was once only imagined. William Bake Poet Artist

Edited by PieGuyRob
The wring is silver.
  • Informative/Useful 5

Having farted about for some time , I’ve just preordered  the 50020 from rails as the only original LL one available at present .

The sound one is gone, so this will be a quiet one initially. All the other ones seem sold out at accurascale website .

11 hours ago, classy52 said:
11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Yes I saw that, which is weird to have the old flashes, and was one of the first things I compared from the video to the Accurascale model hence my OP...good spot.

Presumably permitted because it's a preserved historic item rather than something that needs to meet mainline regs to move itself on the mainline.

If the owner wanted to use it mainline, it'd need the modern OLE stickers, and internally OTMR, TPWS, GSM-R etc if it doesn't have them already.

I've not worded it brilliantly, but that'll be difference. 

Jo

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Having farted about for some time , I’ve just preordered  the 50020 from rails as the only original LL one available at present .

The sound one is gone, so this will be a quiet one initially. All the other ones seem sold out at accurascale website .

I went for one as well, even though I’ve got a Shawplanned Hornby 50020. One will get renumbered to 50048 which was one of the first two 50s I ever saw, at Saltley in 1984 with the other being 50020. I’ll have all 3 large logo ones from the first batch, which is nice.

3 hours ago, 97406 said:

I went for one as well, even though I’ve got a Shawplanned Hornby 50020. One will get renumbered to 50048 which was one of the first two 50s I ever saw, at Saltley in 1984 with the other being 50020. I’ll have all 3 large logo ones from the first batch, which is nice.

I’d need to build Maidenhead or reading in the early 80s - then I’ll get 50 of them !

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I’d need to build Maidenhead or reading in the early 80s - then I’ll get 50 of them !

A simpler task than the 190 class 40s I still “need”!

• Friendly/supportive 2

Just now, 97406 said:

A simpler task than the 190 class 40s I still “need”!

You need someone to make one to the cutting edge standards first !

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, 97406 said:

50020 was also my first 50 for 'sight' at New Street in April 1986 but I think it would have received the orange cantrail stripe by then, at least over the cabs?

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

50020 was also my first 50 for 'sight' at New Street in April 1986 but I think it would have received the orange cantrail stripe by then, at least over the cabs?

Birmingham was a popular place for copping Hoovers when I lived up north. They pop up round here in Notts a lot these days thanks to Boden Rail being in the area.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Birmingham was a popular place for copping Hoovers when I lived up north. They pop up round here in Notts a lot these days thanks to Boden Rail being in the area.

I grew up in Durham and always hoped to see one there on the Doncaster Test Train but never did. Birmingham was therefore the closest place down south with regular diagrams.

• RMweb Gold

I spent most Friday evenings in early the 1980s around Reading/Didcot, so got rather sick of the sight of them!

Hasn’t stopped me order two and hoping for my last for sight to be produced, that being 50039. 

Roy

• Friendly/supportive 1

It's funny what you get used to. I hated split headcode 37s as a kid as they were usually Gateshead or Thornaby locos, far more chance of copping a Cardiff centre headcode version!

Anyway, on the back of 97406's earlier post I have also just ordered 50020 from Rails. I can always add the orange stripe if I want to.

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

His has gone to LSL 

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Wayne 56089 said:

His has gone to LSL 

I’ve seen them in Eastcroft fairly recently before the move to Colwick, but lost touch with them after that.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Plus a good thing about Class 50s is they sound a little bit like a 40, turbos and other details notwithstanding!

50s sound better

• Like 3
  • Agree 4