Rapido OO Gauge LMS Dia1666 5-plank open

AY Mod

On 10/12/2023 at 23:06, rapidoandy said:

I have to say I have loved reading some of the responses in this thread 

Never underestimate the amount of variables that should be considered when asking the question ‘what wagon should we make next’.

Here are some simple thoughts:

Prototype volume does not always equate to sales volume.

People do have a regional bias and some regions sell better than others.

Everyone should have more opens than vans but modellers prefer vans to opens. They cost the same to make but people think they get more value with a van.

Visual differences do help - it needs to be different, but not too different.

Colourful liveries or interesting lettering are popular.

With all of that in mind  what would you make? I’m genuinely interested to here and am always happy for a PM to be sent my way so we can exchange ideas and details…

Andy

I was both impressed and pleased when the 1907 RCH wagons were announced, the prototypes having been both colourful and widespread, I wonder what the level of advance order is?  Could be popular if the number of retailer special editions is anything to go. 

If the order book looks promising, why not follow up with 1923 RCH wagons?  Again, colourful and widespread with similar Big 4 versions, also scope for BR days, heavily weathered and with P numbers.

In terms of coaches, I would add my voice to those calling for clerestories - hopefully, ECJS which were cascaded fairly widely in their latter days but other companies would still be good to see. 

And my pet suggestion is a Scammel steam railcar, with several different LNER liveries and  wonderful ex-stagecoach names, but also used by other companies.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

I was both impressed and pleased when the 1907 RCH wagons were announced, the prototypes having been both colourful and widespread, I wonder what the level of advance order is?  Could be popular if the number of retailer special editions is anything to go. 

Now this could be another instance of the D1666 phenomenon, whereby the far more numerous and widespread examples of RCH 1907 specification wagons, the relatively dowdy colliery ones - many plain black with white lettering - don't sell so well or are simply not produced, whereas the colourful coal merchants' ones, which were much less numerous and rather specifically tied to certain locations, prove the better sellers.

22 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

If the order book looks promising, why not follow up with 1923 RCH wagons? 

But have not Bachmann and Oxford done these, possibly to death, but certainly not at all badly? Do modellers need to be reminded that at nationalisation, 1907 specification wagons outnumbered 1923 specification wagons? (Yes, they do, though most are unlikely to care.)

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

... But have not Bachmann and Oxford done these, ...

Problem with the Oxford ones - apart from any other problems Oxford may, or may not, have - is the conspicuous repair patch at the bottom of each corner plate ..... it may have been on whatever preserved wagon they measured, but it certainly wasn't a standard fitting !

ANYWAY - I think this thread is starting to get confused with Have your say with Rapido where new proposals belong ??!?

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

ANYWAY - I think this thread is starting to get confused with Have your say with Rapido where new proposals belong ??!?

To a degree; but the starting point was, why is this specific model reportedly selling not quite as well as others they have produced, which inevitably leads to the discussion of other potential models.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

To a degree; but the starting point was, why is this specific model reportedly selling not quite as well as others they have produced, which inevitably leads to the discussion of other potential models.

Well, the yawning, empty chasm in r-t-r is indisputably LMS fitted vans. The Bachmann effort is dire, and the one that does capture the "look" (the old Airfix model) is actually an early-BR derivative.....  

• Agree 7