Rapido OO Gauge LMS Dia1666 5-plank open

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant choice. probably the commonest wagon on UK metals for part of its career. Hopefully the 10'wb fitted version will follow.

Looks like the screw holding the NEM mount is in the same position as on the GPV and the SECR wagons too, making it easy to remove it and fit my preferred #146 Kadees.

Only one decision for me to make; how many to buy!

Full marks. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

The ICI livery (authentic) as portrayed by Airfix/GMR on their generic 5-plank would be a nice addition, though I'm not certain it should be the LMS wagon rather than RCH.*

Photo (credited to Don Rowland) on page 17 of

"Private Owner Freight Wagons on British Railways" by David Larkin

(Bradford Barton 1976)

John

* On closer inspection, that particular one is RCH, though I think some of the LMS wagons ended up with new owners as the "big railway" made progressively more use of fitted stock.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Good choice. I do like a nice 5-plank open wagon. I'll definitely be getting one of these. Possibly more than one. As has already been pointed out, their ubiquity makes them a no-brainer for practically any steam era layout set anywhere in the country.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

The ICI livery (authentic) as portrayed by Airfix/GMR on their generic 5-plank would be a nice addition, though I'm not certain it should be the LMS wagon rather than RCH.

Probably 16'6'' long RCH ....... Looks like the Oxford one's not available https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/oxford-rail/products/ici-lime-ltd-buxton.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Probably 16'6'' long RCH ....... Looks like the Oxford one's not available https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/oxford-rail/products/ici-lime-ltd-buxton.

Yes, after I found the magnifying glass and had another look, I'm inclined to agree. 

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Indeed - but one retailer e-mailed to tell me about these ( and some other stuff of no consequence  ) saying every Midland Region layout should have one ........... a slight understatement ! 🙄

Quite so. If I was in Rapido's shoes I would only be making them available in bulk packs of a dozen.

I saw the pre-production samples on the Rapido stand at the Warley show today. They are exquisite. I particularly noted the care that has been taken to represent the inset joggle in the brake vee-hanger at the bottom of the solebar, a distinctive feature of LMS wood-framed wagons. 

That's one thing you don't get with the Cambrian kit, which with all due respect to those who have sung its praises is not, I think, one of the best injection-moulded kits around. Their D1667 kit is better - though it uses their RCH steel underframe, so one does have to scrape off the PO wagon registration plate! But D1667 is an obvious direction to go in for a next development - and a highly numerous design in its own right, with 8,200 built. 

Rapido's blurb undersells D1666 - it was not simply more numerous than the entire Southern Railway wagon fleet, but 1.6 times as numerous (taking 31 Dec 1931 figures). Lumping D1666 and D1667 together, 1.8 times as numerous, or equal to almost three-quarters of the entire Great Western wagon fleet. However they constituted only a mere one-fifth of the LMS wagon fleet.

The D1666 was the single most numerous rolling stock design between the Midland Railway's D299 8-ton open and the BR 16-ton steel mineral wagon. The Midland wagons were built over a twenty year period, whereas D1666 was built over a mere seven years.

Producing a model of this wagon is an obvious no-brainer.

My only fear is that, because it is not a model of a unique prototype with a very restricted range of operation, there are many to whom it will have no appeal.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

My only fear is that, because it is not a model of a unique prototype with a very restricted range of operation, there are many to whom it will have no appeal.

That's their loss, meanwhile everyone who actually appreciates them for what they are will be snapping them up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

40 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

D1667 is an obvious direction to go in for a next development

Strangely a D1667 would still mean a retool due to the differences in the corner plates. I never noticed it until I was looking at converting a 7mm D1667 into a D1666.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh, yes, I’ll be ‘aving one of these, in late LMS or early BR livery, probably both.  Probably the most common 5-plank design at the grouping, the start of my nominally 1948-58 layout timeframe. 

Not if Rap only make them available in packs of a dozen though; what do you have against us poor pensioners, Compound2632?  I’ll have to wait until they start turning up singly on eBay at about £50 a pop, no thanks…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MartinTrucks said:

I assume that Rapido is/are aware that LMS grey changed in 1934 from a mid grey to the lighter bluey grey with which we are all familiar?

Regards,

Martin

I suspect for the sakes of practically you are going to get one shade of LMS grey.

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

I suspect for the sakes of practically you are going to get one shade of LMS grey.

For now... Talking to the guys on the Rapido stand, I gathered that their thining is that this is a model that can run and run.

3 hours ago, MartinTrucks said:

I assume that Rapido is/are aware that LMS grey changed in 1934 from a mid grey to the lighter bluey grey with which we are all familiar?

I'm not sure I'd see the one as more familiar than the other?

The change you mention was followed within a couple of years by the change to bauxite, in May 1936. I wonder how many D1666s would have been repainted in that period? They were built at a steady rate over the period 1923-1930. Suppose, for the sake of argument, that one believes that wagons were repainted on average once every seven years.* Then wagons built in the period 1927 to early 1929 might be repainted in the later shade of grey, roughly two-sevenths of the D1666 fleet, at most.

A much greater variation in the shade of grey would arise from the chemical weathering of the white lead-based grey paint used up to the change to zinc white.

*I don't, myself; I think it more likely that the first time most of these wagons saw fresh paint it would have been bauxite; I would not be surprised if many of them received the 1936-style lettering without a repaint. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

For now... Talking to the guys on the Rapido stand, I gathered that their thining is that this is a model that can run and run.

Having researched D1666s extensively I can say they are the gift that keeps on giving as you just cannot help but find more of them!.

• Like 4