Pronunciation of railway associated words.

Ohmisterporter

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

I agree, I never picked up a Scots accent at all, because the Inverness - Morayshire accent is exceedingly mild and closer to the English, English pronunciation than anything between there and south of Yorkshire..

As a Londoner living in Edinburgh, I was sometimes taken for an Australian - which, given where I now live, is quite funny.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

I agree, I never picked up a Scots accent at all, because the Inverness - Morayshire accent is exceedingly mild and closer to the English, English pronunciation than anything between there and south of Yorkshire..

My brother has lived in Morayshire for most of his life, and I can't detect an accent at all though his sons both speak Doric.  He was born in Hampshire, and when we were little he very quickly adopted the local accent every time we moved, whether that was Scouse, lallands, Welsh, Edinburgh, Geordie or Bristolian. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

St. Ockwell and St. Reatham too.

I've often wondered if St. Ansted is the patron saint of low fare airline passengers.

I did once hear a joke that Moira, in Leicestershire, had become a bit gentrified and was now pronounced locally as "Mwarah".

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

12 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

I've often wondered if St. Ansted is the patron saint of low fare airline passengers. ...

Does a certain not-so-low-priced British Airline still insist on putting St.Ansted on its in-flight maps ? ......... the village near Sevenoaks in Kent, that is, rather than its Essex namesake.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Would you accept Slay-Thwaite* as I've heard it pronounced by the announcer at Leeds station ?

* half-brother of Kill Bill

If the hyphen indicates some sort of pause whereby it sounds a bit like two words, then absolutely not. 

This reminds me of my old headmaster who with a crisp and precise Co. Durham accent pronounced the village of Old Town with an overly long pause. If he talked of the Old Town bus service, it sounded like it might originate at a place called Oald and terminate at a place called Town.

While we're in the wild west of civilisation, anyone who says TodMORden should be asked to leave. 

29 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Accent on the last syllable, ISTR. Unlike the places where I used to live - Frittenden, Biddenden, Benenden, Rolvenden, Tenterden - at least in local usage. 

Which is interesting because I was informed in no uncertain terms that the den was emphasised, specifically in Horsmonden and Marden, but by association, the others too. certainly I remember Biddenden with emphasis on the last syllable. Maybe that is because my Mum had relations who had farmed out on the weald, and so she learned an emphasis that was dying away. She herself grew in Grove Park!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Accent on the last syllable, ISTR. Unlike the places where I used to live - Frittenden, Biddenden, Benenden, Rolvenden, Tenterden - at least in local usage. 

It should be pronounced TODmdn. If you're local you'll just call it Tod. The "southern locals" should stick to TODmdn though, else it just sounds silly. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

In 'The Valleys' we have a deluightful hamlet called  "Fleur de Lys"

But use that name when asking for directions, and locals will look at you vacantly

Ask for 'Flower' and you'll be helped out.

Similarly, further west there is another small town "Gwaun cae Gurwen"  (pronounced Gwhine Kai Gurrwhen )

Again, no one locally uses the name in full, but simple refer to "GCG"

Edited by br2975
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 05/12/2022 at 21:46, hexagon789 said:

Not just Americans that get that one wrong, I've heard several ScotRail staff announce 'King-gussie'.

There was a cartoon character in The Topper named King Gussie, presumably an allusion to the place, which was relatively local to D C Thomson's HQ in Dundee.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

On 06/12/2022 at 10:40, wombatofludham said:

I've often wondered if St. Ansted is the patron saint of low fare airline passengers.

I have long thought that Saint Emeric of Hungary should be the patron saint of railway engineers.

As he was St Stephen's son.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Trog said:

I have long thought that Saint Emeric of Hungary should be the patron saint of railway engineers.

As he was St Stephen's son.

You shouldn't say things like that. It makes me go off looking things up!

The patron saint of engineers is St Patrick, on the grounds that he introduce masonry to Ireland. But St Eligius is the patron saint of REME, chiefly due to his unusual but effective method for shoeing horses. The patron of railway workers is St Catherine of Alexandria, chiefly, it seems, on account of her wheel. 

In the Greek Orthodox Church, St Paisios the Athonite is the patron saint of signalmen, although I think the Church has military signallers in mind, he having been such during the Greek Civil War. More generally, St Gabriel the Archangel, as the conveyor of messages, seems to fill that role. 

St Pancras is of course the patron saint of railway stations. (In Scotland, St Enoch.)

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

You shouldn't say things like that. It makes me go off looking things up!

The patron saint of engineers is St Patrick, on the grounds that he introduce masonry to Ireland. But St Eligius is the patron saint of REME, chiefly due to his unusual but effective method for shoeing horses. The patron of railway workers is St Catherine of Alexandria, chiefly, it seems, on account of her wheel. 

In the Greek Orthodox Church, St Paisios the Athonite is the patron saint of signalmen, although I think the Church has military signallers in mind, he having been such during the Greek Civil War. More generally, St Gabriel the Archangel, as the conveyor of messages, seems to fill that role. 

I knew of some of those which is why I specified railway engineers (and even then I was thinking more of the Civil Engineers department) rather than railways generally. Probably best not to be blamed for causing demarcation disputes in heaven,

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Trog said:

I knew of some of those which is why I specified railway engineers (and even then I was thinking more of the Civil Engineers department) rather than railways generally. Probably best not to be blamed for causing demarcation disputes in heaven,

When I hear Isaiah 40:3-4 "The voice of one crying in the wilderness: 'Prepare the way of the Lord; Make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be exalted and every mountain and hill brought low; the crooked places shall be made straight and the rough places smooth." - which comes up at this time of year - I have in my mind's eye J.C. Bourne's lithograph of Tring cutting:

Tring_Cutting,_1839.jpg?20140218180439

His Kilsby Tunnel is very obviously modelled on a Renaissance Nativity:

Interior_of_the_Kilsby_Tunnel,_1837.jpg?

[Embedded links to Wikimedia Commons.]

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

When I hear Isaiah 40:3-4 "The voice of one crying in the wilderness: 'Prepare the way of the Lord; Make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be exalted and every mountain and hill brought low; the crooked places shall be made straight and the rough places smooth." - which comes up at this time of year - I have in my mind's eye J.C. Bourne's lithograph of Tring cutting:

Tring_Cutting,_1839.jpg?20140218180439

His Kilsby Tunnel is very obviously modelled on a Renaissance Nativity:

Interior_of_the_Kilsby_Tunnel,_1837.jpg?

[Embedded links to Wikimedia Commons.]

In the days before elf and safety I worked on my own at night in both those places. Tring Cutting on a reasonably still night is quite a strange place. All the sounds of the countryside seem to just go straight over the top and it is so quiet in the bottom of the cutting that your ears ring, and all you can hear is the occasional sound of water running in a catch pit that West Coast Route Muddle missed filling with ballast.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1