Shepherdswell EKR - 1960’s , next show is Stow In The Wold in May

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

I was amazed that none of the turnout ground levers got broken at the first show as I managed to break a few of these plastic ones whilst building the layout. I also think that they look over scale, so when I found out about the more to scale Southwark Models brass ones sold by Roxley Mouldings I picked up a few packs at the Uckfield show last weekend.

They are fiddly to assemble but there is plenty of time before the layout is next out.

By early this morning four have been assembled using solder and superglue. I will require ten but as I have a few spare some will be piled on the old rail store as per photos.

20231023_133535.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Ten of the new ground levers have now been constructed and swapped with the already fitted larger plastic ones. The missing catch point with the ground lever has also been added to the siding adjacent to the platform. Very few photos show the existence of this catch point so I wasn't sure if it had been removed at some point but eventually found a photo post war that you can just make out the lever, so this has now been added by filing a length of rail and soldering it to the plain track.

20231030_132726.jpg.cfc27a5ea53f34e7b8966fcf64df705b.jpg

The first ground lever is shown before the adjacent larger plastic ones were removed. Looks so much better now and being brass these are much less likely to get broken. The differently coloured sleeper shows the position of the under board Kadee magnet when shunting from the viewing side. The rails are painted white on the operator side.

20231030_092709.jpg.5a2a37e2082e175276ef432dac162ebb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 12

• roundhouse changed the title to Shepherdswell EKR - 1960’s , first show was in Barrow-In-Furness - new ground levers fitted
  • RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

Smashing layout !... Could you tell me what you used for your corrugated iron sheets please ? 

Thanks

It is vacuum formed styrene corrugated sheeting that I picked up at Squires in Bognor Regis, mounted on plain styrene sheeting.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 10/11/2023 at 12:26, Nick C said:

Another EKR RTR loco...

I know, just after I completed building a Golden Arrow one. Oh well at least mine has been to a show and a BR liveried one will come in handy. That will probably be out before the layouts next show in 2025 May 2024.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, roundhouse said:

That will probably be out before the layouts next show in 2025 at present.

I think a write up in one of the model railway magazines might be in order before then - absolutely cracking layout, with a real sense of location. Hope you carry on posting about it on this thread.

Steve S

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I think a write up in one of the model railway magazines might be in order before then - absolutely cracking layout, with a real sense of location. Hope you carry on posting about it on this thread.

Steve S

Thanks

I am sure that I will find plenty to work on the layout at some point.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• roundhouse changed the title to Shepherdswell EKR - 1960’s , next show is Stow In The Wold in May
  • RMweb Gold

Just a quick update. The layout now has three shows this year, he first one being in Stow On The Wold in May. Its a small show on a Sunday but in the past all the layouts have been very good and the venue is the town hall slap bang in the middle of the town.

The layout will also be at Stafford in September and then Tolworth in November.

A the last Warley show I picked up another Tilmanstone wagon off he Oxford Models stand. This one has been heavily weathered with bits of timber inside. This wagon will be fixed on the old direct line section that was at one time used to sore and break up rolling stock.

I may fit more sound decoders into some of the locos before May.

20240315_143405.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

may fit more sound decoders into some of the locos

😆 more in a loco, good grief what are you planning now?! 🤣

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

😆 more in a loco, good grief what are you planning now?! 🤣

Not the best grammar in my post.

Mind you we do have some that have more than one sound decoder but then thats a multiple unit type of thing by Rapido.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A  recent purchase was a Bachmann 7 plank open wagon. This has now been weathered, fitted with Kadee couplers and had a coal load added using an old Airfix kit coal load with real coal on top. This helps stop the sides from bowing in , a common issue with RTR wagons. Is now ready to replace a Dapol RTR 16 t mineral wagon in the stock box.

20240405_100559.jpg.3c35002d546fedf5943aa0faad2accc1.jpg

The Oxford models Tilmanstone wagon is now ready to be fixed in position on the disused siding on the layout when I next unbox the boards.

20240405_100740.jpg.d50031e4f5844058ed2170f2f8eabf8e.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yesterday I finally got around to fitting the Tilmanstone wagon onto the disused section of track. At privatisation quite a bit of the old EKR rolling stock was diamantled on this siding but on the layout this one was missed. its held on to the track using wire wrapped around each axle and passed into drilled holes in the ballast and stuck using canopy glue. A small amount has been applied to the track to hold the wheels in place for a bit of extra grip.

There isn't a spare slot in the stock boxes for this wagon hence fixing it in place.

20240414_143435.jpg.c9b90781ef671c344f71cad3d833d287.jpg

The photo below whilst a little out of focus gives the presepective of the wagon on the layout from the viewing position.

20240414_143501.jpg.67d3f3201a4caeac0a29ed0daf4678f7.jpg

• Like 12