Shepherdswell EKR - 1960’s , next show is Stow In The Wold in May

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I picked up the remaining timber required to complete the layout.

Whilst at the timber merchants I also obtained a few crates which they normally cut up and throw in the skip. These will be disassembled for use in the garden. Two had already been taken apart when I took the photo and it isn't easy if trying to keep each piece for reuse.

20230519_153611.jpg.20280977767307861d6e0bbeeffd03f4.jpg

Anyway back to the layout, I cut the fiddleyard board tops then added the fascia panels to the scenic boards. The backscene boards will be added in the next few days.

20230519_161941.jpg.b06660b4d5fd39be63a8306852fb2014.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I think those are pallets, Ian. Been using them for 40 years to store hay etc off the floor. 

Yes, sorry I keep calling them crates but know that they are pallets. Even asked the bloke at the timber merchants about crates but soon corrected myself.

We had a lot of them on sites that we paid a deposit for but to return them cost way more than putting in a skip . Never had a need for thrm back then.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday was a good day working with timber.

To start with some non railway work involved using the timber from two pallets to clad the back of the arbor which was started last Summer but had plastic sheet as a temporary back.

20230521_175704.jpg.f0cbda13017cb28c13a66a473b528730.jpg

Once that was done attention turned back to the layout. The first section of backscene was added to the first board. With that fitted the Digitrax UP5 Loconet panel was fitted to the rear and then the Loconet cables added. I make my own cables and use a tester to check that the connectors have been fitted correctly. I must get a new set of crimps as there is a crack in them thus not all pins on the connection are always good as happened on one occasion yesterday.

20230521_175652.jpg.5ee3490497ab8f1a4634348fa69b03fc.jpg

The two fiddleyard boards were assembled and left for the PVA in the  joints to set.

Today these boards will have the screws added and the legs assembled before continuing with the backscene panels.

• Like 10

• roundhouse changed the title to Shepherdswell EKR - 1960’s , The backscene and fiddleyards under construction
  • RMweb Gold

Yesterday evening the remaining backscene boards were fitted. Including cutting the holes for trains to pass through in to the fiddleyards. These boards are just screwed on for now as I will probably remove thrm for priming and painting sky blue.

The remaining Loconet panels and cables were aldo fitted.

The fiddleyard boards will have their alignment dowels fitted once I get more of the picture frame plates that I modify for this.

20230522_161725.jpg

20230522_161710.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I worked on the Tilmanstone end fiddleyard. My usual method for fitting dowels using picture frame plates and screws for the actual alignment dowels with the heads cut off once inserted into the timber frame.

20230524_175536.jpg.2023a8ded5764a1f88a2737ad544a3ea.jpg

The fascia was added before tracklaying.

I will almost certainly add another foot long  board before the layouts first show in October. Just wiring and painting to do once the operating side Edge lip has been fitted.

20230524_192929.jpg.ff2b9d8af3f335b3a68e76c9e2683e44.jpg

Next, I will get the mainline end fiddleyard completed. This will have just one track in it to start with due to the sharp radius requied within it.

The Hornby power bank arrived so this has been fitted into EKR number 4.

I am pleased with the Hornby Bluetooth sound decoder. For £80, the power bank and sound decoder does represent good value.

20230524_192959.jpg.701b6fff4e271e38e970863a66c7a353.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Yesterday I worked on the Tilmanstone end fiddleyard. My usual method for fitting dowels using picture frame plates and screws for the actual alignment dowels with the heads cut off once inserted into the timber frame.

Lovely progress.

Had you seen that the THE HOBBY SHOP have commissioned a Tilmanstone Colliery seven-plank open?

https://hobb-e-mail.com/rapido-967221-tilmanstone-colliery-7-plank-open-wagon-120---exclusive-preview-61674-p.asp

...possibly a little early alongside your rakes of mineral wagons!

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jafcreasey said:

Lovely progress.

Had you seen that the THE HOBBY SHOP have commissioned a Tilmanstone Colliery seven-plank open?

https://hobb-e-mail.com/rapido-967221-tilmanstone-colliery-7-plank-open-wagon-120---exclusive-preview-61674-p.asp

...possibly a little early alongside your rakes of mineral wagons!

Yes I had seen that and may well have one even though it would be a little early but I suppose that I could have it in a siding out of use.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

With the Tilmanstone fiddleyard more or less complete, yesterday the mainline fiddleyard was worked on. This is at 90 degrees to the rest of the layout hence the tight curve within the fiddleyard. I was hoping to have two tracks but the curve is just too tight to add a turnout. There is no passenger service at this end so we should manage with just the one track. The fiddleyard operator will need to be quick in swapping loaded coal wagons with empty ones.

20230525_163758.jpg

• Like 6

You are making really good progress. I just wondered if  you ever consider having a hidden return track to get the fulls and empties back to their respective start points? I have seen it on one or two layouts and it works really well.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Curlew said:

You are making really good progress. I just wondered if  you ever consider having a hidden return track to get the fulls and empties back to their respective start points? I have seen it on one or two layouts and it works really well.

Its possible but its the extra space to transport in one vehicle (aswell as 4 operators) plus operating space at shows. Ideally I would have loved to build the layout as an S curve to get the full curvature of the yard but that just adds to the space to transport and for exhibition organisers find the space. Some shows can but it would also preclude many from past experience. Also we are all getting to the age where ducking under boards is not so easy.

This afternoon the fascia panels were painted green and the backscene panels primed. As we got back home a few minutes ago, I had a quick check in the shed and alls drying fine but it doesnt really smell of paint despite leaving a toplight window open.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2023 at 13:58, roundhouse said:

Yes I had seen that and may well have one even though it would be a little early but I suppose that I could have it in a siding out of use.

I noticed a few of the Hythe Models Dapol commission on ebay the other day too - different livery (not sure on accuracy) - might make an interesting out of use siding with a mix 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, ManofKent said:

I noticed a few of the Hythe Models Dapol commission on ebay the other day too - different livery (not sure on accuracy) - might make an interesting out of use siding with a mix 

Thanks for that , I have found them and will see if I can get one.

Up early again this morning so into the shed to paint the backscenes sky blue.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Very early this morning I was in the shed working on a couple of wagons thrn I starred the platform fence. The real one was timber but as the one on the layout is close to the baseboard edge I am using brass sections soldered on a jig.

So far the first half has been assembled and test fitted.

20230529_071439.jpg.5e0cb9de453922899eaed780eb6e66f0.jpg

Then it was time to head out by train to the real EKR. It took around 2.5 hours to get there but was well worth the trip as despite how much has changed since it closed, I did find out that the shed did have inspection pits as expected. They had a board next to the site of the shed with a photo that I hadn't seen before showing the pits.

20230529_120129.jpg.52bc99ccd27e4a03c58613ab744094d4.jpg

I certainly hope that no one manages to put wagons through the back of the shed but I can think of one person that might try it 😎.

I also found the destination board on the pacer quite humorous. Imagine going from deepest Kent bouncing all the way to Scousepool with just one loo.

Their other pacer had Sunderland on the destination.

20230529_104019.jpg.5cdf78902a6cdedb98ae109bcbe3f8b0.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 11

Your layout is looking great. Especially like the muted colours. Always good to do some site research.

I presume you have the two excellent Oakwood Press books 127A and 127B on the EKR, as the two photos on the RH side of the information board are in those. I guess that is why the other image is new to you (?). 

ps If you want to go prototypical in the preservation era I've got a Class 142 Pacer going spare. It even shows Liverpool on one end (but only Blackburn on the other) 😀

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Fishplate said:

Your layout is looking great. Especially like the muted colours. Always good to do some site research.

I presume you have the two excellent Oakwood Press books 127A and 127B on the EKR, as the two photos on the RH side of the information board are in those. I guess that is why the other image is new to you (?). 

ps If you want to go prototypical in the preservation era I've got a Class 142 Pacer going spare. It even shows Liverpool on one end (but only Blackburn on the other) 😀

Yes, I am slowly reading through them. I have a few other books aswell. It's quite suprising how many lines that the EKR proposed to build.

The location is now much more heavily wooded including the direct curve embankment with many mature trees almost completely hiding it. So far I haven't found when the track was lifted on this embanlment but I suppose that as I have changed the history a bit by keeping the engine shed till the sixties I might do the same for the direct curve.

I was late getting into the shed this morning at just before 4 am but still managed to finish soldering alm the platform fencing.

20230530_095529.jpg.86dfecc55f494c45ea52a40038c53669.jpg20230530_095031.jpg.df52864d3f835d3fc086690e281292e1.jpg

It's now in primer.

20230530_101216.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

The layout has been set up with both fiddleyards for the first time. I then had a good play with a full length coal train. The fiddleyards just fit 11 mineral wagons a brake van and a C class tender loco. However I may yet build a one foot extension on each of them before it's first show.

One issue did arise that hadn't before when test running the Planet Industrial Victory. It kept derailing on the Peco bullhead turnouts but was fine on the handbuilt ones. No other locos had this issue. After a bit of filing the point blades this was much reduced but the gauge is a bit narrow on these Peco turnouts.

20230531_120117.jpg

20230531_120112.jpg

20230531_120056.jpg

• Like 15

• roundhouse changed the title to Shepherdswell EKR - 1960’s , Full layout set up and tested
  • RMweb Gold

In the shed just before 4 am this morning. The 48 th mineral wagon has had thd weathering started. A friend pointed out that I now have one mineral wagon to go behind each of my Bulleid light Pacifics. That reminds me it's been two years since they were last serviced so this Summer I will have to go through thrm all to give them a check over and a run on the High Line test circuit.

I have now started to paint the white Edge stripe but despite sealing the edge of the masking tape with matt varnish the white paint still bled through so another coat has been applied and will try again tomorrow.

20230603_082355.jpg

• Like 12

6 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Earlier this morning the only signal on the layout was temporarily fitted in place.

It requires the painting completing and the linkage to the servo before final fitting in place.

20230606_081900.jpg

Hello Ian

I've only just discovered your topic and it's interesting to see Shepherdswell as the subject of a "proper" layout which is looking very good. I hope this isn't going off-topic but I've been fascinated by the place ever since discovering a two part article in an old MRN (July & August 1952) by a Mr. G.T. Porter. This described his "Potwell Mineral Light Railway" based on Shepherdswell and Tilmanstone Colliery. He managed to cram both ends of the truncated line, with the Golgotha tunnel as a very effective scenic break, into 8ft by 16 ins in 00 in a layout that fitted nearly into a specially built living room cabinet in which it could be concealed.

He too used 1:25000 OS maps to discover the actual track plans which he modified to fit

potwellmineralplan_layout(2).jpg.dbfddb55d3278785dee6bc8208dc73e9.jpg

G.T. Porter's plan of his layout placed in its geography with baseboard edges added

Surprisingly, for what was a mainly shunting layout, the two locomotives were spring drive (Riemsdyk mechs. set to their lowest speed with just the reversing lever protruding so serious clockwork a million miles from the train set variety) though he had plans to electrify the layout using stud contact.

From the photos. the layout looks suprisingly uncramped.  I'll add some of the photos once I've confirmed that they are OOC. If not I can PM the articles.

This is the only article by Mr. Porter that I've ever found so have no idea if his layout ever was developed further.

Since posting this I've been looking again at the 25 inch and 6 inch OS maps in the NLS collection. Curiously, though the 1938 survey (published 1940) sheets covering Shepherdswell and the line to Eyethorne station show all the tracks, the 1937 (published 1945)  sheets beyond that including Tilmanstone colliery only show the EKR's right of way marked as East Kent Light Railway but no track though the 25 inch  does show things like halt platforms. The maps they have before that are from 1907 so before the EKR or the colliery were built but it almost looks like the EKR beyond Eyethorne was never fully surveyed. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Hello Ian

I've only just discovered your topic and it's interesting to see Shepherdswell as the subject of a "proper" layout which is looking very good. I hope this isn't going off-topic but I've been fascinated by the place ever since discovering a two part article in an old MRN (July & August 1952) by a Mr. G.T. Porter. This described his "Potwell Mineral Light Railway" based on Shepherdswell and Tilmanstone Colliery. He managed to cram both ends of the truncated line, with the Golgotha tunnel as a very effective scenic break, into 8ft by 16 ins in 00 in a layout that fitted nearly into a specially built living room cabinet in which it could be concealed.

He too used 1:25000 OS maps to discover the actual track plans which he modified to fit

potwellmineralplan_layout(2).jpg.dbfddb55d3278785dee6bc8208dc73e9.jpg

G.T. Porter's plan of his layout placed in its geography with baseboard edges added

Surprisingly, for what was a mainly shunting layout, the two locomotives were spring drive (Riemsdyk mechs. set to their lowest speed with just the reversing lever protruding so serious clockwork a million miles from the train set variety) though he had plans to electrify the layout using stud contact.

From the photos. the layout looks suprisingly uncramped.  I'll add some of the photos once I've confirmed that they are OOC. If not I can PM the articles.

This is the only article by Mr. Porter that I've ever found so have no idea if his layout ever was developed further.

Since posting this I've been looking again at the 25 inch and 6 inch OS maps in the NLS collection. Curiously, though the 1938 survey (published 1940) sheets covering Shepherdswell and the line to Eyethorne station show all the tracks, the 1937 (published 1945)  sheets beyond that including Tilmanstone colliery only show the EKR's right of way marked as East Kent Light Railway but no track though the 25 inch  does show things like halt platforms. The maps they have before that are from 1907 so before the EKR or the colliery were built but it almost looks like the EKR beyond Eyethorne was never fully surveyed. 

Thats all very interesting take on the area. I am slowly reading through both volumes of the Oakwood Press on the railway and its a lot to take in on all the coal mining plans and various EKR line prosposals that generally eitehr didn't happen or get completed.

• Like 3

• roundhouse changed the title to Shepherdswell EKR - 1960’s , the only signal on the layout
  • RMweb Gold

Today I started building mineral wagons 50 and 51, both the last two Airfix kits obtained last month. However one had a missing floor so this was fabtefrom styrene.

Both are now assembled and in primer20230611_131842.jpg.91b7fb0c39cf161485d1a204affd1631.jpg

Next was the commissioning the servo controller by Signatrak.

Took me a while to get working due to a dry solder joint on a terminal strip. Once I found that, the set up was straight forward.

Another task out of the way.

20230611_190159.jpg

20230611_190114.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good morning.

Whilst looking for signal levers to build the ground frame, I found a white metal kit of an MG. I believe that this came from our late friend Graham along with the Springside caterpillar R2 kit.

Whilst I can find space on the layout for the caterpillar, there are no roads at all for the MG, so it may well go on Blackmoor even though it may be a few years newer than the 1930 period that Blackmoor is modelled on. I fit find a photo that suggested these were around in 1932 so I think that I can just about get away with a bright red one.

20230612_085535.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

This week I completed the final 16 t mineral wagon kits that I have. I now have a total of 51 mineral wagons of various types despite only requiring 24 for the layout.

Also some more packs of Modelu crew arrived so one set is now in Peckett number 1 'Sarah' seen pulling the recently completed wagons.

20230616_090443.jpg.a9316978bd489e73d36d13e2f0c2e8ee.jpg

Also recently worked on is a bogie bolster wagon that I built over 30 years ago but only just got the numbers added. I had ordered decals from Model aster back in March but never showed so a refund received and made up mine from other decal sets. They aren't quiteright but better than nothing for another 30 years.

20230615_151423.jpg.adad5933854acb60e3edd947b2764e45.jpg

And finally the MG is nearing completion.

20230615_143811.jpg

• Like 14