RMweb

Favourite Album/Song

didcot

11 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Agree 100%.  Just been listening Gershwins Rhapsody in Blue.

Music can lift you up, or rip you up.

One of the most curious versions of RiB is the one built around Gershwin's own recording of a piano transcription in 1925 on a player piano, very dynamic!

https://www.discogs.com/release/6087129-George-Gershwin-Accompanied-By-Michael-Tilson-Thomas-Rhapsody-In-Blue-The-1925-Piano-Roll-An-America

Couldn't possibly pick just one album let alone one song.

Let's go with something from Firghtened Rabbit's Pedestrian Verse Album as high up there

Also something from Vintage Trouble's Bomb Shelter Sessions...

Could alos go on with Dire Straits' Brother sin Arms, Green Day's Dookie, Alkaline Trio's From Here To Infirmary...hell I'd even put Shakira's Grandes Exitos down as a great album. 

• Like 1

It changes all the time. Mostly extreme Metal, a bit of Punk, Country AND Western, a bit of classic, some Blues, Folk (mostly the more Rock stuff), Prog depending on mood, etc. I can even tolerate a bit of cheesy pop.

But the one form of music I can't stand is Jazz! I can listen to a bit of swing (stuff like Glenn Miller and Sinatra), but none of that improvised stuff. I just don't get it!

Also not really a fan of dance music, Hip Hop or Rap. 

Jason

• RMweb Gold
On 10/12/2022 at 13:21, Rugd1022 said:

Mine changes depending on mood, it's hard to keep to one definitive list but I keep coming back to these...

Favourite album(s) - 'Revolver' by The Beatles, 'Beggar's Banquet' by The Stones, 'Scott' and 'Scott 4' by Scott Walker

Favourite track(s) - 'Waterloo Sunset' by The Kinks, 'Angelica' by Scott Walker, 'Strawberry Fields Forever' by The Beatles, 'Sympathy For The Devil' by The Stones, 'The Persuaders' theme by John Barry and 'La Femme d'argent' by Air.

All of the above are deeply ingrained into my psyche somehow, but I don't need to listen to them that often as they're already in my head most of the time. I spend a lot of time listening to other stuff (particularly in the car), mostly instrumental stuff from John Barry, Ennio Morricone, Roy Budd etc, and an awful lot of time listening to late '60s and '70s 'library' soundtrack music by people like John Cameron, Alan Hawkshaw, Keith Mansfield, Sid Dale etc. Often dismissed as cheesy lift muzak, it's usually brilliantly recorded and arranged using the latest tech at places like Abbey Road and Olympic studios, with the world's best session players sounding like they're really enjoying themselves.

John Cameron's 'Half Forgotten Daydream is a gem' and will sound familiar to some of a certain age...

The first half of the above album is sublime!

I can definitely hear echoes of  La Femme d'argent  (also one of my faves) in that. Rather splendid.

Big fan of Scotts 1 -IV too. I'd probably pick Scott 4 as the one I'd least like to be without.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For me it would have to be something from Genesis, if I was pushed for a favourite track then it would probably be “The cinema show” from the album “Selling England by the Pound”

Having said that I’m also partial to a bit of early Queen, Seven seas of Rhye is excellent.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I could think of lots of ostensibly cooler records than my choice, but if I'm being honest, it's the one album that I've returned to over and over again since someone made me a tape of it nearly 40 years ago ... I bought it on vinyl a few weeks later and I still play that LP about once a week. I'd hate not to be able to listen to it again!

I don't think there's much point picking a favorite track as there are only three on it!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

I'd say this band, having even gone so far as to have them play at the Theater on my Grunge / Singles film themed layout. 

241396064_PXL_20221214_1639522422.jpg.e01290be17a972826d46410c84664042.jpg

I even repainted a Chevy Van to match the one they were touring in at the time. 

I've got too many ideas and concepts to pin down for the next one but if it was based on what I've been listen to recently it'd be based on Sonic Youth, Sleater Kinney (the Woods) or Pearl Jam live at the Gorge albums.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, 298 said:

I'd say this band, having even gone so far as to have them play at the Theater on my Grunge / Singles film themed layout. 

I even repainted a Chevy Van to match the one they were touring in at the time. 

I've got too many ideas and concepts to pin down for the next one but if it was based on what I've been listen to recently it'd be based on Sonic Youth, Sleater Kinney (the Woods) or Pearl Jam live at the Gorge albums.

Which album would you go for then? Not a sarky question as I love them as well. Probably Superunknown for me, although best song would be one off Badmotorfinger!

4 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Which album would you go for then? Not a sarky question as I love them as well. Probably Superunknown for me, although best song would be one off Badmotorfinger!

Badmotorfinger would probably be my overall favourite, Superunknown would be close because the only time I saw them they opened with "Let me Drown" and the opening bars took me back to every time I've played that album. Then I remember I didn't play alot else for a long time when King Animal came out, so couldn't choose a definite favourite.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, wenlock said:

For me it would have to be something from Genesis, if I was pushed for a favourite track then it would probably be “The cinema show” from the album “Selling England by the Pound”

Having said that I’m also partial to a bit of early Queen, Seven seas of Rhye is excellent.

I'll assume you went to St Davids Hall a few months back?

Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, please.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I'll assume you went to St Davids Hall a few months back?

Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, please.

Although not Genesis, this lot are the next best thing! I’ve seen “The Musical Box” before and if you like early Genesis you’re in for a treat, I hope there are tickets left!

90AFF790-308C-4392-B3F5-4007E0578019.jpeg.e0017e181320dae2681fb7e623099bb3.jpeg

BW

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've got our (me and Pete's) tickets for The Musical Box, Dave, so we'll see you there - fancy a burger beforehand?

The better seats had gone when I tried to book mine, and that was a month or so ago, so we're a fair way back.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I've got our (me and Pete's) tickets for The Musical Box, Dave, so we'll see you there - fancy a burger beforehand?

Glad you got tickets, yes definitely up for a burger although as my sister is coming along we’d better find a place that does veggie stuff too🙂

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Crumbs, where on earth to start......? 

I have a very soft spot for Rory Gallagher..Album ? Irish Tour '74 with A Million Miles Away being the stand out track for me

This time of year sees a bit of Jethro Tull emerging......Broadsword, a fine album along with Songs from the Wood. 

And let's not forget a bit of Marillion with their debut album Script for a Jester's Tear being my favourite.  Favourite track is split between Grendel and Market Square Heroes. 

BUT....Back to the 70s and three stand out tracks picked from many...

And being a Cardiff boy..........great noise from a great three piece with Burke's standout bass line............

I hope you enjoy

Rob. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

And let's not forget a bit of Marillion with their debut album Script for a Jester's Tear being my favourite.  Favourite track is split between Grendel and Market Square Heroes. 

I saw them at the Top Rank on the tour for that album. Were you there by any chance? It was my first gig, although since Peter Hamill was the support, Marillion were actually the second act I saw live!

I caught them again a year or so later at the St David's Center on the Fugazi tour.

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

I saw them at the Top Rank on the tour for that album. Were you there by any chance? It was my first gig, although since Peter Hamill was the support, Marillion were actually the second act I saw live!

I caught them again a year or so later at the St David's Center on the Fugazi tour.

Hellfire, Al !!

Indeed I was. I was right at the front, leaning on the stage beneath Fish for their set. I vividly remember him towering above me as the dry ice cleared. They opened with Script and I remember they were really, really good. No Grendel though. 

If I recall correctly, the band were in Virgin Records in Castle street before the gig where I  got a copy of He Knows You Know signed by the band. Fish took issue with me for not taking the plastic wrapper off the 12 inch single before I got to him.....!

I still have it. 

Yes, I too went to St Davids a year later. The band were great but it just lacked the atmosphere of the Top Rank. They were still good though but it was the Top Rank gig that has stuck, hence Script being my favourite album. 

Rob. 

• Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Ist: My favourite organ piece is 'Widor Toccata  in F'. It was my late Dad's favourite piece to play. He was always pleased when he managed it all without a mistake!

2nd: In my view probably their best song.

3rd: Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. I particularly the many live versions. These three will play at my funeral!

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Hellfire, Al !!

Indeed I was. I was right at the front, leaning on the stage beneath Fish for their set. I vividly remember him towering above me as the dry ice cleared. They opened with Script and I remember they were really, really good. No Grendel though. 

If I recall correctly, the band were in Virgin Records in Castle street before the gig where I  got a copy of He Knows You Know signed by the band. Fish took issue with me for not taking the plastic wrapper off the 12 inch single before I got to him.....!

I still have it. 

Yes, I too went to St Davids a year later. The band were great but it just lacked the atmosphere of the Top Rank. They were still good though but it was the Top Rank gig that has stuck, hence Script being my favourite album. 

Rob. 

That's fantastic.

I too remember that wall of dry ice. This enormous figure gradually emerged from it, with just the red light of the radio mic glaring through the mist! Having only seen one picture of Marillion in my sister's Smash Hits, I had no idea that Fish was this giant, face-painted presence.

Great that you were. I'm still mates with the lads I went with. I think my mum may have dropped us off and then someone else's mum came to pick us up!

Al

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Apologies for the duplicate post. Can't get rid of it! I got some strange message saying not to post for another 57 minutes or so.

The only thing better than Comfortably Numb is Comfortably Numb twice.😀

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

That's fantastic.

I too remember that wall of dry ice. This enormous figure gradually emerged from it, with just the red light of the radio mic glaring through the mist! Having only seen one picture of Marillion in my sister's Smash Hits, I had no idea that Fish was this giant, face-painted presence.

Great that you were. I'm still mates with the lads I went with. I think my mum may have dropped us off and then someone else's mum came to pick us up!

Al

Hammersmith Odeon, 1983. Same Tour. 

The Top Rank was 22 March 1983. I was 18.........!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1