The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Favourite Album/Song

didcot

• RMweb Gold

Many of my favourte artists have appeared already but can I add..

My introduction to "classical" music courtesy of a trainee teacher at my Primary School (1960s)

My favourite album from the 1970s....I could play most of it on guitar....

My favourite from the 1980s...and the 2020s....he's still brilliant live...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've got loads of good albums, and quite a few not so good ones.  One in particular though stands out.  Many that I bought way back in the halcyon days of the 60s have dated a bit, some haven't.  This is one that hasn't.  I bought it on its release in 1967.  Described as the perfect sixties album that captures both the surrealistic psychedelic bliss of the hippie dream and the paranoid los angeles nightmare that was to follow it's been with me ever since and I still play it, though perhaps not as often as a subsequent and excellent live concert version.  It's  Love....

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hammersmith Odeon, 1983. Same Tour. 

The Top Rank was 22 March 1983. I was 18.........!

I was a week past 17. Script for a Jester's Tear was my birthday present, along with a King Crimson double LP. Progtastic!

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

I was a week past 17. Script for a Jester's Tear was my birthday present, along with a King Crimson double LP. Progtastic!

You crazy kid.......

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Torper said:

I've got loads of good albums, and quite a few not so good ones.  One in particular though stands out.  Many that I bought way back in the halcyon days of the 60s have dated a bit, some haven't.  This is one that hasn't.  I bought it on its release in 1967.  Described as the perfect sixties album that captures both the surrealistic psychedelic bliss of the hippie dream and the paranoid los angeles nightmare that was to follow it's been with me ever since and I still play it, though perhaps not as often as a subsequent and excellent live concert version.  It's  Love....

I still have my '67 copy of this, also regularly played.
I saw them twice in Liverpool about 20 years ago, first time as a small band and a few months later with a full orchestra. 'You Set The Scene' gave me a right shiver.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Free At Last said:

I still have my '67 copy of this, also regularly played.
I saw them twice in Liverpool about 20 years ago, first time as a small band and a few months later with a full orchestra. 'You Set The Scene' gave me a right shiver.

I saw them in either 1969 or 70 at The Roundhouse in London, but by then the original band had broken up and Arthur Lee was trying to find his black roots, and although it gor some pretty good reviews I wasn't awfully impressed - I was expecting the original band and their music.  Happlily as far as I was concerned, Arthur subsequently realised that that was what the fans really wanted.  Like you, I then saw their full orchestral Forever Changes show in 2003, although I went to the Bristol gig, and in 2005 I saw the band, albeit without the Swedish strings and horns, at the Lemon Teee in Aberdeen.    Incidentally, the night after the Bristol gig in 2003 they performed at the Royal Festival Hall and that show was recorded and is currently available as a CD and a DVD as the Forever Changes Concert - the live performance adds a certain dynamism and is well worth having even if you've got the original recording.  By that time, of course, Arthur was the only remaining member of the original line-up but he was most ably backed by the excellent Baby Lemonade

I entorely agree with what you say about "You Set the Scene" - here it is from the DVD of that 2003 tour:

Edited by Torper
  • Like 3

Found myself belting out or murdering 'A Wombling Merry Christmas" this morning in the car. I think it was Zoe Ball who played it and I seem to have remembered all the words despite not hearing it for nearly 40 years. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Choices, Choices!

Favourite song, a close run thing between Comfortably Numb

Don't talk to strangers

and Perfect strangers

Albums, it's a toss up between

Dark side of the moon

and the Division Bell

In alphabetical order, not the order 0f preference.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

While my favourite album of all time is Love's Forever Changes, my favourite live album is Runrig's "Once in a Lifetime".  This was recorded at the Barrowlands in 1988 just as the band was reaching its peak and was very much at the top of their game.  Runrig invariably excelled in their live performance, and this album goes quite some way to capturing it.  On numerous occasions at numerous gigs I can remember me and hundreds of others going daft during this particularl track.   The CD is currently only £1.60 on Amazon which is a real bargain

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...

I think Boston are an under-rated and not fully appreciated band. They are of course known for More Than a Feeling from their eponymous 1976 debut album, but there are other tracks from that album that are pretty good (Smokin' in particularly was infamously used in couple of 2016 episodes of South Park). Plus, I really like their 1986 album Third Stage, especially The Launch which lead right into Cool the Engines.

I can also recommend the Soundtrack album to the cult 1981 movie Heavy Metal, which features songs by Sammy Hagar, Don Felder, Donald Fagen, Stevie Nicks, Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabbath, Journey, Cheap Trick, and Nazareth.

Edited by Invicta Informant

• RMweb Premium

I don't have A Favorite album or song as new ones are always arriving, sometimes a favorite for a few days, sometimes for life. Anyhow a few songs I have enjoyed recently.

Check out Ren's other stuff, he is about to make it big so get in there early.

These lassies and Arch would be world wide stars if it wasn't for Putin

Don't need to say anything about how great this song is.

When the world discovers Riley I hope her brothers are not forgotten.

This what you get when you put 3 lovely ladies in the studio ....the boy is back in town.

I am an old git who still keeps his ear to the ground and doesn't live his teenage years through tunes of the day

Mind you this still sounds great

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

Favourite song above all others? Caroline by the mighty Status Quo.

Album? Much more difficult. Dire Straits’ first, Marillion’s Script or Kind Of Blue by the incomparable Miles Davis would be lead contenders I guess.

steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bit of a left field one for me - an album called "Good News" by Rend Collective who are an Irish based Christian rock/folk band.

Some of the lyrics of their songs were a lifesaver during a difficult patch a few years ago - still make me cry when I listen to them now, but how much stronger they have made me. 

Music can be so powerful and life changing........