Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022

Interesting. I did a lot of scrolling before I did much clicking.
I thought I was getting much more selective. But ... then I got to the EMU section, and wow do I apparently want *everything*. Fingers crossed manufacturers don't announce them all at once, because my pockets aren't that deep, but prior experience with EMUs says that's highly unlikely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

One item that I was surprised to see not on the list (I tripled checked), was the as built/parallel boiler LMS Royal Scots 4-6-0. Yes we have the rebuilt Royal Scots tooled up by both Bachmann and Hornby, but not a new tooling of this since Mainline and Wrenn days. No worries, always next time to make the list. 

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ribird

As noted, we deleted numerous items that had been 'languishing' in Low Polling over the years. The Parallel Boiler Scot was one such item.

I will, however, put it on the 2024 Agenda to see if we can put it back in.

Hope that helps.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for organizing the poll again.  Indulged my wish list, which is mainly more open wagons.

The Adams T3 is just there because I just love that loco.  If it was actually produced, I would have to find some excuse to run it on a GWR layout set in the upper Thames valley in 1946/8!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Bloodnok said:

Interesting. I did a lot of scrolling before I did much clicking.
I thought I was getting much more selective. But ... then I got to the EMU section, and wow do I apparently want *everything*. Fingers crossed manufacturers don't announce them all at once, because my pockets aren't that deep, but prior experience with EMUs says that's highly unlikely.

Like yourself I was tempted to tick all the boxes on AC Emus . In the end I restricted myself to the 303/311 in the Scottish section (and my favourite 126 dmu) both of which I'd bite your right hand off for  and the 313/314/315 and 317/318  categories in emu . What I'm hoping for is that the poll will show increasing interest in AC emus and that manufacturers will take this on board instead of yet more duplication of big diesels !

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Legend said:

Like yourself I was tempted to tick all the boxes on AC Emus . In the end I restricted myself to the 303/311 in the Scottish section (and my favourite 126 dmu) both of which I'd bite your right hand off for 

Hmmm, that's one of the few I *didn't* pick. I have two main areas of interest -- stuff that would appear in roughly the middle of the WCML, and stuff I saw as a kid travelling around the SR (central division). The 303 was always a bit far north to get into either of those.

1 hour ago, Legend said:

and the 313/314/315 and 317/318  categories in emu . What I'm hoping for is that the poll will show increasing interest in AC emus and that manufacturers will take this on board instead of yet more duplication of big diesels !

304s, 310/0s, 317/1s and 321s are key to the AC scene I want to portray. 305s, 309s, 312/2s and 319s also appeared, so I'd definitely pick one up if they were made. And I wouldn't turn down a 313/1 or a 323 either, while they don't quite get to the area (313/1) or time-period (323) I model, they are pressed right up against the edges and I've got no appropriate EMUs at all so far. Close is better than nothing.

For the southern scene I want to portray on a future layout, I'd need SR EPBs, CIGs, refurbished CEPs, 455s, 456s, 319s, 375s, 377s, plus 3H 205s, 207s and 171s.

Actually, given the only thing on my list for the SR scene list that *does* exist already is the VEP (upcoming from Hornby) and the only overlap with the WCML scene is the 319, I could be persuaded to build my future SR layout(s) in a different scale should there be better availability of SR EMUs in that scale...

Edited by Bloodnok
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

Hmmm, that's one of the few I *didn't* pick. I have two main areas of interest -- stuff that would appear in roughly the middle of the WCML, and stuff I saw as a kid travelling around the SR (central division). The 303 was always a bit far north to get into either of those.

304s, 310/0s, 317/1s and 321s are key to the AC scene I want to portray. 305s, 309s, 312/2s and 319s also appeared, so I'd definitely pick one up if they were made. And I wouldn't turn down a 313/1 or a 323 either, while they don't quite get to the area (313/1) or time-period (323) I model, they are pressed right up against the edges and I've got no appropriate EMUs at all so far. Close is better than nothing.

For the southern scene I want to portray on a future layout, I'd need SR EPBs, CIGs, refurbished CEPs, 455s, 456s, 319s, 375s, 377s, plus 3H 205s, 207s and 171s.

Actually, given the only thing on my list for the SR scene list that *does* exist already is the VEP (upcoming from Hornby) and the only overlap with the WCML scene is the 319, I could be persuaded to build my future SR layout(s) in a different scale should there be better availability of SR EMUs in that scale...

Actually I was watching You Tube Crewe 1980s/90s and was surprised to find a 303 appearing there . It was in GMPT Orange and Brown presumably on Manchester - Crewe local . 

By the way , I know you don't list it but did you see The Model Centre had reduction on 4 CEPs , now £209 !

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Ribird

As noted, we deleted numerous items that had been 'languishing' in Low Polling over the years. The Parallel Boiler Scot was one such item.

I will, however, put it on the 2024 Agenda to see if we can put it back in.

Hope that helps.

Well thank you for the response and reasoning. Never would have thought it would have been a low polling item! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Ribird said:

Well thank you for the response and reasoning. Never would have thought it would have been a low polling item! 

Hello Ribird

Strange but true. Below is more detail of how it fared in the LMS Locos category, always in Low Polling...

2013 - Bottom 

2014 - Third from bottom

2015 - Second from bottom

2016 - Sixth from bottom

2017 - Poll didn't run

2018 - 17th from bottom (but bear in mind a number of new items went in that year, but fared badly)

2019 - Fifth from bottom

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Legend said:

Crewe 1980s/90s and was surprised to find a 303 appearing there . It was in GMPT Orange and Brown presumably on Manchester - Crewe local . 

By the way , I know you don't list it but did you see The Model Centre had reduction on 4 CEPs , now £209 !

Some 303s migrated south, and some 309s migrated north, to support electric services in the wider Manchester and Midlands areas.  Who would have thought in 1960 that a Glasgow "Blue Train" and a "Clacton" electric - the only main line EMUs ever to have run in BR maroon livery, would operate side by side half way across the UK from their original homes.

Some of us can remember when a "Reduced 4-Cep" was £79 😯 down from £109.  How times change.  Even when the tooling and the model doesn't.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Voting for pretty much everything LMS pre-grouping Scottish hoping one might appear on the market soon. A Gresley K4 or NBR J37 or Glen would also be really nice. The poll generally just highlights that there is major under-representation of Scottish pre-grouping rolling stock in the model railway market. In fact, there are some major gaps in the model railway rolling stock market full stop that you think the manufacturers would view as serious opportunities to make some money!

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, BennyBobRM said:

Voting for pretty much everything LMS pre-grouping Scottish hoping one might appear on the market soon. 

Hello BennyBobRM

We ask voters to vote on the premise that they would realistically buy what they vote for.

'Blanket voting' serves no purpose as we are looking for differentiation. 

Many thanks

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello BennyBobRM

If you voted as stated above, that's all fine. I read it - rightly or wrongly - as 'blanket voting' and so had to make a point for others who might think that such tactics will have an effect. They won't.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

But I think you have to take account of regional variations . A bit like BennyBobRM I was tempted to tick many boxes in the Scottish Section , while I'm sure many others ticked the Southern Section . I did restrict myself to what I would reasonably buy but I do hope that people aren't excluded because they would tend to tick the majority of items in their area of interest . 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Legend said:

But I think you have to take account of regional variations . A bit like BennyBobRM I was tempted to tick many boxes in the Scottish Section , while I'm sure many others ticked the Southern Section . I did restrict myself to what I would reasonably buy but I do hope that people aren't excluded because they would tend to tick the majority of items in their area of interest . 

Hello Legend

We say voters may vote for whatever they care to...as long as they would realistically buy the items if produced at some time in the future.

We could have put an arbitrary limit on the number of votes in each category - and we have had that suggested to us a number of times - but we prefer to treat voters as 'officers and gentlemen' who play the game as intended.

Personally, there a one or two categories in which I vote for a high number of items - but I would, of course, realistically buy them (subject to them not all coming to market on the same day and the law of averages seem to have that under control!).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think what needs to be stressed is what Brian has already said - differentiation is the key to picking out things that are popular, and so we only fail ourselves if we vote for everything in a section. I certainly haven't done that. I mostly look at SR and BR(S) Western Section stuff, specifically that would have run in the Bournemouth/Poole area, and even then I'm careful to pick out the things that actually matter to me, as not everything would. That keeps my votes tightly limited and as such allows them to count towards items that might rise above others.

I'm still hoping the U class will get done, even though I'm now looking at putting together my own CAD for doing 3D print versions, as the various 'manufacturers' still seem to be averse to it so much.

• Like 3

On 12/12/2022 at 11:31, Steamport Southport said:

Surprised to see a Grange in there.

Nothing wrong with the Hornby one which is a far better model than the 28XX, 42XX, 72XX and Star from the same manufacturer.

Is it just a case of it being more than five minutes old?

Jason

I’m sorry but I feel the need to point out that the Hornby 28xx and 2884 class are excellent models that came prior to the “design clever” era that hashed up the other classes you’ve given there. It holds up very well today despite being - what - 15 years old? 

Hello all, 

nice to see the poll making a comeback. Some predictions on what I think will be seen in the results to come. 

Firstly, (due to my own interest) I can see NER/NE Region dropping overall from some results previously, due to many of the popular models having been done - Q6, K1, G5, J27. Each time the top of lists were done for an area there was a corresponding drop, but this area has had a few done so there could be others now that take the place. Its often true though that others dont quite meet it, so I can see the total dropping overall. Ones to watch for are B16, J21 and J25. 

I think midland areas will grow given they have taken a battering for years but still have a lot of the types wanted and covered. The 8F should return strongly as a new request and retool. Watch out for other WD's and BR standards such as the 3MT, which I think should top the list. 

Other units I think will also prove high in demand. The modern scene is after a few with the 185 very much in demand. It will be interesting given where the poll is featuring if that gets reflected away from the crowds at exhibitions, social media and some forums where people wanting these might be more inclined to be following the hobby. While thats no criticism, the poll is a great and useful tool, but could show some companies that core markets remain, such as Southern region and Western too that I expect will hit back hard with a vengeance for some grouping companies, but then splinter just as Eastern core votes do. The poll itself has been great at showing us a glimse of what we as modellers would like, but the market too has sectors and companies now getting a strong following and idea of building areas that have not always featured as strongly in the poll. 

Now just need to see what the results bring.... thanks to the team and Andy Y for hosting it here again. 

• Thanks 1