Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Thanks for all the work, and the effort involved in the analysis  -  greatly appreciated.

Even though I read the introduction/guide properly, I found it interesting that actually filling in the form concentrated my mind in an interesting way.  A lot fewer locos than I'd imagined I'd vote for, but more coaches and odd wagons than I thought I would.

Everyone, please vote for a new BR 16 ton mineral wagon and a 4-COR (plus whatever else you want, of course).

That would skew the results though? The last thing we want is everyone to vote for something, a manufacturer to then make it, and be surprised when hardly anyone buys it.

Hopefully enough people vote for the same thing as others and hopefully manufacturers take note and we all get something nice :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

23 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello again Jason

Extract from the Q&A below explains the situation.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

What is included in – or specifically excluded from – The Poll?

Our core content is a wide selection of locos and rolling stock of British Railways, its predecessors and successors. Many items of a ‘heritage/preserved’ nature are included by default. We could easily list over 50,000 items with all their ‘variants’ so we have to ‘draw a line’ somewhere!

For this year, we are excluding from our lists any models made after 2005. Some voters will find that some of the slightly pre-2005 models listed are fine in all respects, so there is no need to vote for them. Only vote for what you would realistically buy.

Thanks. I didn't vote for it. Nor did I vote for anything I wouldn't buy. 

But it does make my selections look a bit random. Mostly LMS and GWR with strange things like the Scottish preserved locomotives.

I did seem to go mad on milk tankers though. Baffling that we haven't got a decent RTR version of something so iconic.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Should we open a book on what we think will be produced?

Looking through that list theres definitely a few seeds in their.

mine will look adhoc… a mix of pre1923 and post privatisation.

Nice list of departmentals… Mentor especially.

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

I had not realised this was coming, what a treat!

Well done to the Poll Team plus Nick and Andy.  Thank you, and let us hope the manufacturers are looking.  (Can they vote as well?)

Hello Chris

Many thanks for your support.

The Poll is open to all, but we would expect any employee or boss of any maker 'to play the game' and only vote for what they would realistically wish to buy. All the makers we know are 'officers and gentleman', so we are sure they do.

This Poll Team has been looking at Poll results and dealing with the broader subject since around 2010 (on the erstwhile and much loved MREmag). If anyone ever tried to 'beef up an item', we would soon 'smell rats' and investigate.

We are able to watch each vote as it is cast and I photograph the results several times per day and compare like for like. Any 'Tom Foolery' would be picked up before you could say 'Tom Foolery'!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

I will have a go at the poll later on :)

A question I would like to ask is in regards to the "15. Freight Stock: Pre-1923". Would you possibly add GWR Opens pre-1923 to this section at all in the future? Whilst Rapido have announced the GWR O21 4 Plank Open to the OO RTR range, there are several other GWR Opens such as the O11, O15 and O13 China Clay that were built prior to 1923. And a new GWR China Clay I would certainly welcome!! ;)

ATB, Garethp8873.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Garethp8873

That point (or very similar) was raised by Miss Prism on our earlier thread.

As noted, we will only take suggestions for 2024 as stated in the Q&A - repeated below. There are many reasons for this approach and we hope you will understand - or have a word with Miss P??

What if voters have any suggestions for 2024; or need impartial help or advice?

With the best will in the world, the list contents won’t satisfy everyone. To make suggestions for 2024, email thepollteam@gmail.com, but note that we will only consider those with a c.100-word justification based on the criteria below and a minimum of one link. The item should as far as possible have:

1.     A realistic chance of being commercially viable (not simply ‘your favourite’!)

2.     An existing prototype or drawings available

3.     A wide geographic spread of operation and/or long life

4.     A broad modelling appeal or public popularity

5.     A context with other items listed or on the market.

An acknowledgment will normally be sent within 24 hours, but a full answer to any requests for help and advice might take a few days. We will also answer queries on RMweb but note we won’t take suggestions!

11 minutes ago, Carl LaFong said:

I can't see an entry for the LMS/BR Stanier 50ft Kitchen Cars or the standard 50ft vehicles converted to generator cars to run with the first AL1 electric locos

Or have I missed them?

Regards

Hornby already do the Kitchen Cars. Released as part of the Coronation Scot and probably due for release as normal versions soon.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for doing this.

Although I have quite wide interests,  I could only find 8 items which I would actually buy if produced.  To me that highlights just how lucky we are to have so many excellent RTR items available.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Carl LaFong said:

I can't see an entry for the LMS/BR Stanier 50ft Kitchen Cars or the standard 50ft vehicles converted to generator cars to run with the first AL1 electric locos

Or have I missed them?

Regards

Thanks Carl

As noted by Jason above.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for your hard work putting the list together, ✔️ most of the LMS and all the L&YR models hopefully they won’t release them all in one go otherwise I’ll have to sell my dad again, I’ve only just managed to buy him back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for all the effort that goes into this - my experience in other fields has been that restarting things after the past couple of years off also takes more time and energy, so this is doubly appreciated.

Wanted to post this here as I’m not eligible to participate (no plans to buy any UK OO), but still appreciate the contribution to our hobby, Keith.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Keith

Indeed, there is work involved but we - as a Team - have been keeping it up-to-date and discussing matters even though it has, in essence, been in hibernation since 2019.

And we enjoy the process as we always learn from each other!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Pint of Adnams said:

And the item LNER Thompson Round-Cornered Window Stock is far too generic - there was main line gangwayed stock and non-gangwayed of many Diagrams, a number of which were actually Peppercorn or even constructed by BR.

Hello Pint of Adnams

That's 'a fair cop, guv'nor!' and I can see why.

In 2019, we listed stock in order of Pre-Grouping, then Gresley,  then Thompson and non-gangwayed, gangwayed, catering etc therein. It was 'clear' what we meant.

Now that we are listing under a different hierarchy, I fully agree that it (and some others) could do with refining and I will put that matter on the 2024 Agenda now.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, paftrain said:

You missed out a BIG one - first series original Merchant Navy in BR era (blue onwards).

Hello paftrain

The Rebuilt Merchant Navy was introduced by Hornby in 2000, but the 'original' air smooth casing type wasn't introduced until 2016.

The former is within our cut-off date (2005); the latter, of course, isn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, farren said:

Thank you for your hard work putting the list together, ✔️ most of the LMS and all the L&YR models hopefully they won’t release them all in one go otherwise I’ll have to sell my dad again, I’ve only just managed to buy him back. 

At least you can shock friends by saying your father has a career in pawn.

• Funny 2