Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022

1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello paftrain

The Rebuilt Merchant Navy was introduced by Hornby in 2000, but the 'original' air smooth casing type wasn't introduced until 2016.

The former is within our cut-off date (2005); the latter, of course, isn't.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

Hi Brian, 

I’m well aware of that, but Hornby obviously haven’t tooled up the first series air smoothed BR version, so 2016 is irrelevant! Hopefully another manufacturer will introduce this version.

Regards,

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Well, I put my wishlist votes in. I can't see that many being made in my lifetime as some are a bit odd-ball but appeared in the area I model in the 1950s. 

The race is now on to see if I finish any of the ones currently under costruction or awaiting erecting shop time will be on the market RTR before I get round to finishing them. 

Thanks for your efforts, much of what I need on the wishist actually appears in the poll. 

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Note there is at least one error in the descriptions — the NBR loco with LNER classification C15/16 is described as an 0-6-0T; it is, as the 'C' indicates, a 4-4-2T.

Many thanks - not sure how that slipped through!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, paftrain said:

Hi Brian, 

I’m well aware of that, but Hornby obviously haven’t tooled up the first series air smoothed BR version, so 2016 is irrelevant! Hopefully another manufacturer will introduce this version.

Regards,

Paul.

Hello Paul

We have to make an assumption that if a model is made, the maker will 'get what they can' from the tooling variations. Hence, it isn't listed.

It doesn't always work, though.

For example, Bachmann have never made S&D 7F 2-8-0 No.53807 - she had a unique smokebox saddle after rebuild. The late Merl Evans (of Bachmann) told me it would be too expensive to tool up for.

As we say in the Q&A relating to 'variants': We have to leave it to the makers to ‘market research’ what they can actually make and realistically sell.

Edited by BMacdermott
Spelling
  • Like 2

Welcome back...I have actually missed the absence of this annual poll.

I wish we had a similar poll here in North America but there is no magazine or website with the authority to administer it. 

Maybe Rapido North America product development would undertake it as they seem to be the RTR focus in NA that covers the most of aspects of the N and HO markets. 

Unfortunately for me the regional concentrations of vocal modelers maps to the prevalence of basements in homes (the great swath of the midwest from theUS and Canadian  Rockies to Ohio in the US and the northern Atlantic coast from Maryland  to Nova Scotia.) In the Southern and Southwestern areas only pre WW2 housing normally have a basement. The traditional place for our medium to large layouts.  Florida homes are anchored on concrete slabs (to keep them from floating away in nasty weather events.) Likewise in the Southwest from Texas to California where unless you are a USD multi-millionaire a basement is usually beyond your reach.

Modelers also tend to follow the prototypes that exist or existed at one time of the regions they live in or at one time lived in.  Of course there are exceptions and as the population moves around a lot.

Oh well....I have a better chance of getting an new RTR version of a Southern Air Streamlined WC/BOB for my Padstow 1947 collection than I do of someone making a new accurate RTR replica of a Southern Pacific Mogul or Consolidation to populate the steaming ready track on my Port Costa 1950-54 tiny layout (Little Muddle is bigger.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paftrain said:

Hi Brian, 

Regards,

Paul.

They have though. They've done at least three in the first series, I've got two of them in SR livery. The model has provision for the different front ends, cabs and other differences in the design. This was all mentioned when it was first announced.

Jason

6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

They have though. They've done at least three in the first series, I've got two of them in SR livery. The model has provision for the different front ends, cabs and other differences in the design. This was all mentioned when it was first announced.

Jason

I said BR, not SR. They haven’t mentioned that version in any of their announcements.

1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Paul

We have to make an assumption that if a model is made, the maker will 'get what they can' from the tooling variations. Hence, it isn't listed.

It doesn't always work, though.

For example, Bachmann have never made S&D 7F 2-8-0 No.53807 - she had a unique smokebox saddle after rebuild. The late Merl Evans (of Bachmann) told me it would be too expensive to tool up for.

As we say in the Q&A relating to 'variants': We have to leave it to the makers to ‘market research’ what they can actually make and realistically sell.

Hi Brian,

fair enough! I guess I expected them to do the version I’m after, but it doesn’t look like it. I’ll just have to live with my Millholme model.

B18BEF03-BF5B-4423-8AA4-2A6B6D8CABA7.png

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, phil gollin said:

please vote for a new BR 16 ton mineral wagon and a 4-COR

4-COR duly voted for as it has been every year.

I also voted for the collective "Electrostar" category though this includes the 357 and others that I am not interested in.  Better to show interest than not, perhaps?  It's the 377 that I would like to see but there is no individual option for that.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

Liveries are the other complication, of course.  In the unlikely event that someone does make an SR W class, what's the chances they'd offer it with SR sunshine lettering?  SR steam stuff is often a choice of the earlier Maunsell serif "Wild West" lettering, or British Railways.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, gpplumy said:

I couldn't see anything industrial? or is this represented elsewhere ?

Hello ppplumy

We have run Industrial (and Underground) categories in the past but stopped for many reasons. We now stick with 'core content' that you see in The Poll.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Excellent work once again, pollster team. Can't see GWR railcar 18. is it still there?

Interested to see a Scottish section. What about a Welsh equivalent?

So far, so good.

Hello tomparryharry

As noted in the Q&A, we have deleted many items that were 'languishing' in Low Polling. No.18 has seen votes decline over the years, so we took it out.

We saw 'Scottish' as a stand alone category as so much was 'dedicated' to that area only (in broad terms). It doesn't work the same with Wales, I'm afraid - unless you can show us a way?? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep my votes in , should be easily recognisable as I'm the one voting for a Swindon 126 dmu every year!  Browsing the choices just makes you aware how big a task it must be compiling this every year . I like the way that Scottish Region is listed seperately , although this does mean some anomalies like the 314 is listed under 313/314/315 in the main section. No major issue . 

I couldn't find any 380 or 385 mus , although that might be me ! The chances of a manufacturer picking either up would be remote anyway I would have thought 

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Legend

We'll look at whether Class 314 needs to move for next time.

As noted, we have deleted many that 'languished' in Low Polling and the Class 380 was a case in point. The 385 went in 'new' for 2019 but landed in Low - so we left that out too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Similar with the USA  S100. I wanted a Longbridge one but they were built by a different manufacturer, and even then had different cab sheeting in their industral days. The nearest to it is the NCB one which I picked up discounted and it will go under the knife as did  a 64xx when I got fed up of waiting for Bachmann to produce a 74xx version.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello tomparryharry

As noted in the Q&A, we have deleted many items that were 'languishing' in Low Polling. No.18 has seen votes decline over the years, so we took it out.

We saw 'Scottish' as a stand alone category as so much was 'dedicated' to that area only (in broad terms). It doesn't work the same with Wales, I'm afraid - unless you can show us a way?? 

Hello Brian, thanks for your reply.

In this instance, I will slightly disagree with you. High polling items tend to get 'picked up' by RTR manufacturers, no doubt to the ongoing success of this poll (and quite right, too). These low hanging fruit surely allows more niche items to come to the fore. 

Possibly, age demographics have come into play.  A bit of a catch-22, methinks. 

18 hours ago, paftrain said:

I said BR, not SR. They haven’t mentioned that version in any of their announcements.

You're asking for liveries not models. 

They stated at the time it was released they can alter the different parts so that others can be made. They've just not released one of the first ten in BR 1950s condition, yet.

All this was covered when they were first announced. They can do them all!

They've only released a few models of the MN so far. Maybe wait until the next announcement as they might have one in the condition you want!

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Hello Brian, thanks for your reply.

In this instance, I will slightly disagree with you. High polling items tend to get 'picked up' by RTR manufacturers, no doubt to the ongoing success of this poll (and quite right, too). These low hanging fruit surely allows more niche items to come to the fore. 

Possibly, age demographics have come into play.  A bit of a catch-22, methinks. 

Hello tomparryharry

A word or two of explanation...

I know you are not actually saying this, but we make it clear that we have never claimed that models are made simply 'because of' The Poll. The makers get far more market research into their inboxes than any Poll such as ours could provide.

What it should do, though, is confirm what information they get. It also shows us - the modellers - how we are collectively thinking; something the makers will never tell us from their information!

What we did for this Poll was to look long and hard at those items which were 'languishing' in Low Polling and highly unlikely - albeit in The Team's view - to be 'niche' or otherwise 'commercially viable'. Those which we felt were 'gradually climbing' or had sensible connections to higher polling items stayed.

We didn't simply 'delete Low Polling'. As the late Kenny Everitt would say..."It was all done in the best possible taste".

Here are some stats for you...

The left column shows the quantity of items in each of the Poll segments that have been announced since publication of the 2019 Results.

15 - From The Top 50

21 - From High Polling

9 - From Middle Polling

7 - From Low Polling - but note that only one of those was 'steam era' (Coronation Scot coaches and that missed Middle by 4 votes) and that many 'modern' items are always in the Low segment. 

Hope that helps.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

You're asking for liveries not models. 

They stated at the time it was released they can alter the different parts so that others can be made. They've just not released one of the first ten in BR 1950s condition, yet.

All this was covered when they were first announced. They can do them all!

They've only released a few models of the MN so far. Maybe wait until the next announcement as they might have one in the condition you want!

Jason

It isn’t just a livery change! I suggest you study the differences between the first batch and the rest of the class. The front end and valances are totally different. Also, the smoke deflectors are totally different to the SR versions they have produced.

I hope you are right that they can ‘do them all’, but they haven’t done so yet although they’ve had six years since the first ones were announced.

• Friendly/supportive 1