Cooper-craft

Baldwin30762

5 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

Yeah I suppose it's an argument really about the worth of a failed brand name. I would imagine those people who pay a fortune on eBay will soon cotton onto the fact that a hopefully reliable manufacturer has these kits , and if they manage to reintroduce everything, the eBay prices will go through the floor and then you have to ask do they need the old name and it's negative baggage? My feeling is many people see the name coopercraft and automatically associate it with the old firm despite the "by Cambrian models" bit, and that it will take time for that to change. After all, they have god knows how many years of bad press to reverse.

I think you are over thinking it. Model railways is a small hobby where word gets around very quickly.

Most of the kit builders will soon cotton on. I doubt many of the "RTR only" people will be interested.

Jason

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think you are over thinking it. Model railways is a small hobby where word gets around very quickly.

Most of the kit builders will soon cotton on. I doubt many of the "RTR only" people will be interested.

Jason

Dunno. It took a long time for oldcoopercraft to wreck it's reputation with a drip drip effect over the years, and you can still see it on here with other manufacturers, with people gradually becoming aware of problems and new people getting caught out, because with the best will in the world a lot of people don't read these forums. Anyway let's hope the new owners restore its reputation whatever the name

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

Dunno. It took a long time for oldcoopercraft to wreck it's reputation with a drip drip effect over the years, and you can still see it on here with other manufacturers, with people gradually becoming aware of problems and new people getting caught out, because with the best will in the world a lot of people don't read these forums. Anyway let's hope the new owners restore its reputation whatever the name

But where do those people get their kits from?

Retailers, online or at exhibitions. When people start seeing them advertised at places that sell Cambrian kits or at shows, then they'll soon wake up to the fact they are available.

Quick look at Cambrian stockists. Kernow, Peters Spares, HA Models, Trains4U, Hampshire Models, Trainshop, etc. We aren't talking tiny shops.

Jason 

Edited by Steamport Southport
Added stockists
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

But where do those people get their kits from?

Retailers, online or at exhibitions. When people start seeing them advertised at places that sell Cambrian kits or at shows, then they'll soon wake up to the fact they are available.

Quick look at Cambrian stockists. Kernow, Peters Spares, HA Models, Trains4U, Hampshire Models, Trainshop, etc. We aren't talking tiny shops.

Jason 

Yeah, I can't imagine the new owners aren't aware of the back story, so they won't be making any promises they can't keep or re-launching until they know they can supply. The rest will be word of mouth once the stuff gets to the retailers

26 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Does anyone know of any developments regarding the Blacksmith range currently owned by Dunn?

I could be reading far too much into this but the stuff they don't own like the Kirk  and mailcoach products have been totally deleted from the website but the blacksmith products are still on there so y'know...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

It would be great if Cambrian can sort out some of faults with the W1/W5, before they re-release it, do any of the other kids have glaring errors?

It's unrealistic in my view to expect any mods to the tool sets at this time. Not economically viable.

• Agree 5

6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

It maybe worth getting in touch with the new owner to point out any errors.

I feel we are all wishing Cambrian good luck in rescuing and resurrecting this wagon range. Pointing out that most of the brake gear needs a complete redesign, however desirable, would not be helpful at this stage in my view.

• Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I feel we are all wishing Cambrian good luck in rescuing and resurrecting this wagon range. Pointing out that most of the brake gear needs a complete redesign, however desirable, would not be helpful at this stage in my view.

But he already has GWR wagons in the range with DC brakes and probably on a separate sprue to the body.

https://www.cambrianmodelrail.co.uk/store/C1-GWR-BR-10ton-Dropside-Ballast-Wagon-Dia-P15-18-20-D1-566-p93876426

Jason

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

But he already has GWR wagons in the range with DC brakes and probably on a separate sprue to the body.

Not the same variety of DC, at least for the prototypes of the Cooper Craft wagons as built.

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

https://www.cambrianmodelrail.co.uk/store/C1-GWR-BR-10ton-Dropside-Ballast-Wagon-Dia-P15-18-20-D1-566-p93876426

Jason

By all means correct me if I'm mistaken but ..... doesn't the W1 / W5 have a different wheelbase from all of the other Coopercraft / Cambrian kits?

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk

5 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

By all means correct me if I'm mistaken but ..... doesn't the W1 / W5 have a different wheelbase from all of the other Coopercraft / Cambrian kits?

CJI.

Yes. But I was talking in general.

Why not try and get them fixed now rather than just letting them be released as they are and then moaning that they are wrong (as some will inevitably do).

It's an opportunity to get it right. He might be up for it or might not want to know. But isn't it worth at least asking?

Jason

• Agree 1

The W1/5 has the roof/end to the wrong profile and a few of the poems (certainly the 4 plank ) have tapered headstock ends when they should be square. The later is an easy fix when building but reshaping g the cattle wagon end and fabricating a new roof rather more so. 

Pointing out the errors may be helpful if it is stated that we can live with headstock issues but DC brakes, lever brakes (w1/5) and end profile would be a potential boost.

Duncan

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Hampshire Models,

They were at Warley this year (and previously) where I bought some Cambrian stuff.

Wrong company

It was HAModels, (H&A Models)

Edited by melmerby
Wrong Company
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

the world really doesn't need any more provender wagon kits.

Any advance on four?  (all from various ebay job lots)

image.png.90af823501fdbf6769aee3bc138ec13f.png

15 minutes ago, drduncan said:

reshaping g the cattle wagon end and fabricating a new roof rather more so. 

The Scalefour society shop did an etch with a jig to help reshape the ends, provided new strapping and a new top rail/roof support

image.png.16a2dffa878275857ce2311a5e4310bd.png

Edited by 41516
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

49 minutes ago, 41516 said:

Any advance on four?  (all from various ebay job lots)

image.png.90af823501fdbf6769aee3bc138ec13f.png

The Scalefour society shop did an etch with a jig to help reshape the ends, provided new strapping and a new top rail/roof support

image.png.16a2dffa878275857ce2311a5e4310bd.png

Yes and the Brian Morgan parts were excellent; but they don’t seem to listed anywhere where non members have access, unless I’ve missed a link on a page somewhere.

Duncan

13 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

We're comparing 12 against over 15,000...

11 minutes ago, drduncan said:

12 is such a nice number. 😇

Well, 6 as tooled by CC as the two lots of Q1 were slightly different, were they not?

• Agree 1