21” diameter Micro 00

Some light progress over Xmas i have moved the retaining wall forward a tad on the right hand side and fixed it in place all the way across to the other side, some more weathering may be needed.

FF8207EB-FF0C-4408-9B3A-39023AE43BE2.jpeg

this area will be the steps down to the platform i have a kit on the way for that

2336B97D-4CC5-4E61-935F-C78BD4781D05.jpeg

the area marked with a black pen was for the metcalfe goods shed, when the shed is in place it obscures both road and rail tunnels so a loading stage and separate store may be better in this area.

196B59B9-29FB-4A1E-9712-7DF6B12D2F82.jpeg

Edited by RailwayLacky
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/12/2022 at 22:43, RailwayLacky said:

Some light progress over Xmas i have moved the retaining wall forward a tad on the right hand side and fixed it in place all the way across to the other side, some more weathering may be needed.

FF8207EB-FF0C-4408-9B3A-39023AE43BE2.jpeg

this area will be the steps down to the platform i have a kit on the way for that

2336B97D-4CC5-4E61-935F-C78BD4781D05.jpeg

the area marked with a black pen was for the metcalfe goods shed, when the shed is in place it obscures both road and rail tunnels so a loading stage and separate store may be better in this area.

196B59B9-29FB-4A1E-9712-7DF6B12D2F82.jpeg

Excellent representation of the soot stained stonework.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Some progress now the ballasting has been done, just toying around with the area front left of the layout, using old bits and peices from the old layout.

A factory front would look good there but perhaps to high for the front of the layout and is better at the rear.

you can see now how the grass verge will bring the street level up across the layout, my static grass applicator was in the loft for 8 years and i left the batteries in it! still works but not as well as it did i dont think :)

316E8BD0-8F45-4FD7-B134-47BC89EDF404.jpeg

79CEFE42-1F48-4084-819A-B448C9F76FF3.jpeg

06C36684-EB16-4573-AF17-532827D56709.jpeg

and with the foamboard lid on!

image.jpg

Edited by RailwayLacky
  • Like 6

I have decided to have some derelict houses rather than the factory at the front left of the layout as mentioned previously, just waiting on the postman for those, in the meantime I’ve built the stairs down to the platform area, I haven’t built the platform yet :)

also found a smaller signal box which i veering towards as the metcalfe signal box is very big and feels a little out of place on such a small layout.

EA3ACAAF-B1E0-45C4-A351-780EEC2F629E.jpeg

Also some fencing which got converted to a lesser regal fence and rusted up in readiness for the derelict area

894A5216-0466-4781-BCA2-1B8B94F4BE08.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by RailwayLacky
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I'd been trying to remember what this model was starting to remind me of, and it finally came to me this morning seeing the iron railings on top of the brick retaining wall, with the tight curves.  Have you come across the Heap Bridge Paper Mill Railway?  There's a very good video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_tr5zPiLaI&t=283s

Possibly more stone walls than brick, but to me there's something of the atmosphere there, and would be pretty model-able with the variety of small shunters around at the moment :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ben what a fantastic video, I’ve just watched a minute of it and see what you mean, I’m off to watch the rest thanks for sharing!

meanwhile on the layout back down tother end, I have built a wills shed but replaced the bottom frame with bricks and weathered it up, this is much better than the metcalfe goods shed as it was just to large for this layout.

E56F6EA8-6EEA-4217-A70D-56E194DDEF14.jpeg

9CD6FA76-94F3-4887-9684-195402C58477.jpeg

Edited by RailwayLacky
  • Like 6

Rectified some of the issues with the 2nd hand signal box, replaced the missing fire buckets and guttering, still a way to go, its in pretty bad shape, will add a working lamp over the doorway, just trying to find the right lamp. 

6BAABAD0-DD70-4730-90AE-0C11A9CDA9E8.jpeg

the stairs have had the weathering treatment also  

405445D2-12E8-4EFF-A5AF-04DC10B5D4A5.jpeg

Edited by RailwayLacky
  • Like 6

On 22/12/2022 at 00:16, Michael Hodgson said:

Should probably be listed under "Prototype for everything" thread!

Limerick Junction

Trains on the main Cork-Dublin route used to have to reverse into the platform (both directions) before 1967

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_Junction_railway_station

Also reversal into the platform was required at Dorchester South for London Bound trains until 1970

Dorchester South - Wikipedia

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Slow progress for the last few days I’m awaiting a Hornby Hymek since December 30th and it’s holding things up a bit as I was going to test it in certain areas, one vital area being the platform. 

also still awaiting the derelict houses I ordered but in the meantime a rubbish pile and a loading dock added, dock scratch built with a wills crane.

B0DDCDB5-346C-415B-8D79-F9B0C9597ABD.jpeg

need to sort the platform edge of the loading dock

0130EF11-8300-41A7-9A1F-9BB800F8CFA6.jpeg

Edited by RailwayLacky
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, RailwayLacky said:

Slow progress for the last few days I’m awaiting a Hornby Hymek since December 30th and it’s holding things up a bit as I was going to test it in certain areas, one vital area being the platform. 

also still awaiting the derelict houses I ordered but in the meantime a rubbish pile and a loading dock added, will add a crane to the dock shortly 

E44827E2-4062-48B2-94B4-37862578F73B.jpeg

B0DDCDB5-346C-415B-8D79-F9B0C9597ABD.jpeg

Love the rubbish pile👍

• Thanks 1

Took a chance on this J94 given I can run the 0-6-0 class 03, I thought the shorter wheelbase of the J94 would be OK, the chance paid off :) runs beautifully round the tight diameter of the layout, I’ve also upgraded it to to DCC.

Updated the layout slightly in this area, we have a way down to the platform which is currently being paved  and a street level entrance building, still weighing it up but i think this better than the wooden uncovered stairs as i couldn't find any station reference with a similar wooden staircase down.

92843C3F-7B81-4BAC-B0FF-D36ED27836F7.jpeg

40D697C4-68AE-42A6-BCBC-34EE6998452E.jpeg

Edited by RailwayLacky
  • Like 9

I'm not sure if I've commented yet but I'm really enjoying watching this layout develop, partially because who doesn't love a roundyroundy!

I agree the covered staircase looks better than an open one, it gives the station a bit more dignity and purpose. Especially if you can merge it into a canopy on the platform to keep passengers dry the whole way to their train.

I especially like the blending of kits from a variety of manufacturers and materials - sometimes it can look odd but you've got a marvelous, consistent looking scene. I'd love to see a current overall view when you get a chance!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Andrew D said:

Looking good! The J94 is on my list next time I see one for a decent price at a show. Weathering looks great! 👍

I cant take the credit for the weathering on this one, its an older top link model but was easy to convert to DCC, runs great due to a heavy weight inside it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

I'm not sure if I've commented yet but I'm really enjoying watching this layout develop, partially because who doesn't love a roundyroundy!

I agree the covered staircase looks better than an open one, it gives the station a bit more dignity and purpose. Especially if you can merge it into a canopy on the platform to keep passengers dry the whole way to their train.

I especially like the blending of kits from a variety of manufacturers and materials - sometimes it can look odd but you've got a marvelous, consistent looking scene. I'd love to see a current overall view when you get a chance!

Thanks, really enjoying bringing this all together, ill try and get an overall shot soon, i took a couple of wider shots earlier, i really need to get the backdrop sorted too, currently the rest of the layout is a dumping ground for all the things i'm using to build, including a few more kits, one of them is the canopy you mentioned, ill crack on with that next i think :)

too busy playing loco's as you say everyone loves a roundy roundy, i have spent a lot of time getting my locos running smoothly on DCC, i love to tinker!

BEBFFBE4-E476-4F9B-9D19-A085A62A1DDA.jpeg

B6AE8FDF-852F-499A-BAFD-2EE997F65CA8.jpeg

B3357259-6921-448D-8618-ECAB69E69DED.jpeg

Edited by RailwayLacky
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I’m impressed at the pace you are cracking on with this. That platform surface looks great - did you use paving sheets? Please spam the thread with as many photos of the layout as you can - and video please! :)

Edited by Andrew D
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

On 19/01/2023 at 23:52, Andrew D said:

I’m impressed at the pace you are cracking on with this. That platform surface looks great - did you use paving sheets? Please spam the thread with as many photos of the layout as you can - and video please! :)

The paving is ratio Victorian paving sheets, now painted up the platform is in place and tested with the long awaited eBay class 35 that I was waiting on, it too handles the curves of the layout just fine 😊

i spent most of last night trying ot get the paving to look right, still not 100% happy, you can see where the sheets are joined, but most of this will be covered so may be OK.

the class 35 runs like a dog!! lots of tinkering needed, a large stay alive may help, the motor in it is so old!

40FBF888-81CB-4E57-A921-D2E42EDF9286.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by RailwayLacky
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1