The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2023

didcot

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

He is all smiles at AM right now, but we've seen how he reacts when things don't go so well. Many in & around F1 seem to have very short memories.

Maybe they think he has mellowed with age?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

https://www.independent.co.uk/f1/f1-monaco-fp1-fp2-practice-thursday-friday-b2345546.html

Why is practice at Monaco no longer on a Thursday?

Before 2022, practice at the Monaco Grand Prix took place on a Thursday - with Friday as a day of non-running on track.

The tradition dated back to the early editions of the event, when it coincided with the Ascension Day holiday, which fell on the Friday of the race weekend.

Seems to make sense to align it. At least a bit of rain may spice things up a bit!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, njee20 said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/f1/f1-monaco-fp1-fp2-practice-thursday-friday-b2345546.html

Seems to make sense to align it. At least a bit of rain may spice things up a bit!

Rain isn’t always the saviour - Turkey 2021 was pretty bland except Perez and Hamilton dueling for a few corners.

with the cars as big as they are, rain may not do anything for Monaco. 

I hope I’m wrong.

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Let's see if Sergio needs to throw it into the wall to secure pole again 😉

Sergio didn't even start on pole last year. Leclerc did.

I've said before, F1 needs to amend its rules to stop this. It has had plenty of opportunity to do so.

Schumacher tried it in 2006 but was too blatant & got given a penalty for it. There was no rule to back this up though.

Rosberg did it a few years later but was more subtle about it. He didn't admit deliberately late braking, but his smiles infer that he did it on purpose. Why not? He was only exploiting a flawed rule which should have been fixed.

Leclerc binned it in 2021 while Verstappen was on a fast lap & he was about to start on pole before he discovered car damage. He was about to benefit from his own mistake. That is utterly ridiculous. Nobody should benefit from their own mistake.

Moaning about something after the event is silly. The drivers should have insisted on a rule change the winter after Schumacher's incident because between seasons is when rules should change. Each incident since 2006 should be a reminder to them all how stupid they are to accept the flawed rules each winter.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, SR71 said:

If he does MV might follow through on his threat to quit. It's amusing me how much he's hinted at it this year and the press don't care.

Perhaps he wants everyone to validate him by piping up with cries of "Oh stay Max, Stay!"  Its not going to happen...

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Sergio didn't even start on pole last year. Leclerc did.

I've said before, F1 needs to amend its rules to stop this. It has had plenty of opportunity to do so.

Schumacher tried it in 2006 but was too blatant & got given a penalty for it. There was no rule to back this up though.

Rosberg did it a few years later but was more subtle about it. He didn't admit deliberately late braking, but his smiles infer that he did it on purpose. Why not? He was only exploiting a flawed rule which should have been fixed.

Leclerc binned it in 2021 while Verstappen was on a fast lap & he was about to start on pole before he discovered car damage. He was about to benefit from his own mistake. That is utterly ridiculous. Nobody should benefit from their own mistake.

Moaning about something after the event is silly. The drivers should have insisted on a rule change the winter after Schumacher's incident because between seasons is when rules should change. Each incident since 2006 should be a reminder to them all how stupid they are to accept the flawed rules each winter.

BTCC  have it sorted. Cause a red flag, loose your fastest lap to that point.

Simple and effective.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Perhaps he wants everyone to validate him by piping up with cries of "Oh stay Max, Stay!"  Its not going to happen...

“The beasts cried ‘Oh, please don't go—we'll eat you up—we love you so!’

But Max said ‘no!’ and stepped into his private boat.”

Maurice Sendak, Where the Wild Things Are

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

21 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Does anyone know why the build-up for Monaco has changed?

In previous years, the first 2 practise sessions have been on Thursday then Friday has been a rest day. This year, it seems to have followed the same format as all other races: Fri-Sat-Sun.

Historically Monaco was held at the time of a religious festival so they shut down on the Friday for that- but the timing changed years ago so they have now decided to align it - probably all linked to cost saving

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, SR71 said:

BTCC  have it sorted. Cause a red flag, loose your fastest lap to that point.

Simple and effective.

It isn't difficult is it?

Fair too. Make a mistake & suffer for it. I can't think of many sports where you can benefit from your own mistake. You usually suffer for them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

F1 makes major TV change for Monaco GP with Sky Sports viewers likely to spot difference

F1 fans will get their next fix of racing action in Monaco next weekend, and those watching the action on television might notice some changes to what they're used to from this race.

It means, for the next three years starting with next weekend's race, TV coverage of the Monaco Grand Prix will be produced by F1 themselves, rather than Tele Monte Carlo. The move will have no effect on which channels will carry the feed, with Sky Sports still the UK broadcaster for live action.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

F1 pictures from Monaco were very good yesterday, some drone shots of the track etc , in general the pictures from F1 are very good , the waffle is still annoying (only my opinion of corse ).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 26/05/2023 at 04:52, OnTheBranchline said:

Let's see if Sergio needs to throw it into the wall to secure pole again 😉

Didn't work this year.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 25/05/2023 at 15:15, Pete the Elaner said:

Does anyone know why the build-up for Monaco has changed?

In previous years, the first 2 practise sessions have been on Thursday then Friday has been a rest day. This year, it seems to have followed the same format as all other races: Fri-Sat-Sun.

On 26/05/2023 at 12:49, The Lurker said:

Historically Monaco was held at the time of a religious festival so they shut down on the Friday for that- but the timing changed years ago so they have now decided to align it - probably all linked to cost saving

It was a Friday-Sunday last year.

https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2022.html

As with last year, this year is on the weekend immediately after another GP (albeit cancelled this year).

Making it Fri-Sun gives the teams to decamp from one GP to another compared to a Thurs-Sun fixture following a race weekend.

https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2021.html

https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2019.html

Not held in 2020 due to Covid

• Like 2

Vestcrashen will drive at a mandatory 20mph in the middle of the road, and still complain if anyone tries to overtake him.

OR.....OR....OR.

He and The insufferable Spaniard will kiss on the first corner, take each other out and start another slanging match for the Stewards to listen to. In the meantime the fiesty Mexican will cut through the Field and win.

OR...OR...OR

It will get rained off.😄

Edited by Andrew P
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Vestcrashen will drive at a mandatory 20mph in the middle of the road, and still complain if anyone tries to overtake him.

😄

I didn't know he'd taken on Matt Neil as a driver coach.

I'm hoping he's damaged something when 'skillfully' skittling it off the walls on that last lap and either gets a pit lane start or fails at 2/3rds distance. I wouldn't mind Alonso winning and I'm hoping Lewis opted for a wet set up.

• Agree 2

As we all know Monaco is a virtual guaranteed procession with race order only being affected by crashes or pit stops but at least you can rely on the F2 and F3 cars for overtaking or at least that used to be the case.

Even the much smaller F3 cars just followed each other around and when Montoya had to complete nearly a full lap with his front wing at 45 degrees still no one could put a pass on him.

Money is the only reason it is still on the calendar. 

• Agree 3

59 minutes ago, SR71 said:

I didn't know he'd taken on Matt Neil as a driver coach.

I'm hoping he's damaged something when 'skillfully' skittling it off the walls on that last lap and either gets a pit lane start or fails at 2/3rds distance. I wouldn't mind Alonso winning and I'm hoping Lewis opted for a wet set up.

YES, apart from the Alonso win bit I'm afraid, don't like him much either.

Strange, there are only two Drivers that I don't seem to gell with, and that is MV and FA, but it looks increasingly likely that one of them will be the next Camp, or should that be CHUMP.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

interesting towards the end 

Not really.

The Esteemed Wife fell asleep half way through and I didn't find any decent reason to wake her up :(

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ess1uk said:

Radio 5 coverage kept dropping out but sounded like it got interesting towards the end 

If one pit call had been different, it could have been very exciting but alas - we had 10 interesting laps.

• Agree 2