RMweb

Formula 1 2023

didcot

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

They are chasing a moving target though. What do you think Red Bull will do? Keep pushing until the end of the season even after they have won both titles by a mile? A driver's 1-2 is a bonus for them. They are only really interested in driver's & constructor's titles, which they proved that last year. Once they have these 2 in the bag, they will switch to next year's car. This will be sooner rather than later if other teams do the same.

Yes it's a moving target, however at least the rules now restrict Red Bull more than the other teams. 

Everyone else has more development time and cost cap to catch up to them. Personally, I think that is why Merc made their mistake with last years car. They didn't have as much development time as the other teams to use towards it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNERandBR said:

Yes it's a moving target, however at least the rules now restrict Red Bull more than the other teams. 

Everyone else has more development time and cost cap to catch up to them. Personally, I think that is why Merc made their mistake with last years car. They didn't have as much development time as the other teams to use towards it.

Plus I feel like with Lauda gone, the Merc engineers were designing based on the calculations rather than listening to the drivers. 

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

9 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Plus I feel like with Lauda gone, the Merc engineers were designing based on the calculations rather than listening to the drivers. 

I think they had to go 'all in' on one concept. The other teams could look at more options more thoroughly as they had more development time.

Merc were still reigning constructors champions last year. It's only this year that they now get more wind tunnel time and a higher cost cap.

Red Bull made the best use of their time. Now they have to maintain it with less development time and lower cost cap for being the champions.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

I think they had to go 'all in' on one concept. The other teams could look at more options more thoroughly as they had more development time.

Merc were still reigning constructors champions last year. It's only this year that they now get more wind tunnel time and a higher cost cap.

Red Bull made the best use of their time. Now they have to maintain it with less development time and lower cost cap for being the champions.

Not only that, they will have to deal with brain drain as other teams poach the design/engineering talent from them just like what happened to Mercedes at the end of their domination.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

No apologies, not F1. I have been watching one of the greatest races ever. A glorious Le Mans 24 hour race. Brilliant racing between Ferrari and Porsche and Ferrari and Toyota. Magnificent spectacle and after 19 hours of racing three cars on the same lap. So much to see and enjoy.

I'll calm down later, after 15.00 finish.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

FirstSportz - Latest sports news

23 h  · 

Max Verstappen is under investigation based on his finances ahead of 2023 Canadian GP.

Read in details - bit.ly/3WYZ9lb

image.png.1b1a00647577832f9fae4260e438b9ce.png

Looks to be the ranting of someone on linkedIn (rather than anything formal) claiming max is a tax dodger for moving to Monaco, rather than paying a far higher rate in the Netherlands, whilst driving under the Dutch flag….

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Looks to be the ranting of someone on linkedIn (rather than anything formal) claiming max is a tax dodger for moving to Monaco, rather than paying a far higher rate in the Netherlands, whilst driving under the Dutch flag….

Like pretty much every other F1 driver. Much as I don't like Max on the track and his general demeanour, it is absolutely a rant from a hater. He even has to extrapolate to 2028 to get his clickbait $215m.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Ferrari Chairman John Elkann, and Charles Leclerc, are in the Ferrari pit at Le Mans, where their #51 is in the lead with 90-odd mins to go. 

Well as you know by now Ian, Ferrari won their first outright win at Le Mans since 1965 and what a race to win!

Races at Le Mans are often described as a "Titanic" struggle. This race really was, fantastic racing between Ferrari and Toyota and Ferrari and Porsche. So refreshing and so very sporting compared to current F1.

image.png.9453ed73736c44b5f65c31256c679f5b.png

Kind regards,

Richard

Edited by 30368
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Birthday prezzy, does this mean I'm rooting for McLaren at the weekend? 

DSC_0218.JPG.1d7a68bb60858a0ee38162708c6f16bf.JPG

Drink it Saturday - who cares about Sunday?

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

9 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Birthday prezzy, does this mean I'm rooting for McLaren at the weekend? 

DSC_0218.JPG.1d7a68bb60858a0ee38162708c6f16bf.JPG

To much of that and you'll be staring at The Wall of Champions, Ian. 😃

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's weird when the F1 race is in your own timezone. Being on the EST timezone, I rather like having the F1 races in the morning and then I can go about my day. 

Bit of rain forecasted for this weekend - most of it Friday/Saturday. 

• Like 2

Red Flag after 3 minutes. Still a red flag as FIA can't access the local CCTV due to power issues. 

Must be run by my works IT unit. They're useless too. Did an upgrade at lunchtime and 3 hours later they have only told me to restart and turn it on and off.

FIA have the TV feeds and Marshalls ffs.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

FP1 cancelled and FP2 extended by 30mins and starting 30mins earlier -  assuming that they can fix their kit by then…

Looks like the FIA have yet another rule to stop any running from happening.  Great advert for new fans and sponsors.

Am I getting old or are more and more things being run by more and more incompetent people…

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting wet qualification.  Great drive by Hulkenberg to get P2 for Haas but the FIA gives out yet another grid drop penalty to spoil the occasion and he drops to P8.

Perhaps they should settle the championship over a game of snakes and ladders as driving and racing seem to be taking a secondary role…

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yes, disappointing that Hulkenberg got a 3 place grid penalty for exceeding the speed limit under red flag conditions, while Sainz got the same penalty for dawdling about on the racing line at the last corner as Gasly came through, at top speed, and had to take to the runoff in order to avoid the mother of all shunts. Perhaps the FIA should take a leaf out of the Mikado’s book, and let the punishment fit the crime.

Edited by Obi-Jiff Kenobi
Edited for punctuation
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Just watched the Touring car race on ITV4, far more interesting than F1. A name to look out for in future is Richard Haas, just sixteen years old.

It helps that Oulton Park is an interesting track!

• Like 1

On 18/06/2023 at 06:28, Darius43 said:

Interesting wet qualification.  Great drive by Hulkenberg to get P2 for Haas but the FIA gives out yet another grid drop penalty to spoil the occasion and he drops to P8.

Perhaps they should settle the championship over a game of snakes and ladders as driving and racing seem to be taking a secondary role…

Cheers

Darius

Penalties are a necessary part of any sport. All competitors push the limits of what they can get away with until they get their wrists slapped in some way.

Blame the drivers for making the mistakes, not the FIA for making them count.

• Agree 1

Annoyingly C4 catch-up dropped out at the crucial point halfway through Q2 - what turned out to be one of the most interesting with the choice of tyres and weather conditions.  Well done to Alex Albon in both quali and the race itself.

Magnussen and De Vries gave us the funniest moment of the season so far.

Ok, I’m going to say it.  He may have by far the best car, the best pit crew, the worst attitude and the most annoying team principal, but the consistency of performance in all conditions has elevated Max to that elite group at the top of their sport.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, EddieB said:

Annoyingly C4 catch-up dropped out at the crucial point halfway through Q2 - what turned out to be one of the most interesting with the choice of tyres and weather conditions.  Well done to Alex Albon in both quali and the race itself.

I still dislike some things about quali. Albon was cheated on this occasion:

He failed to set a time from his first Q3 lap because of exceeding track limits (which is fair enough) but Piastri then caused a red flag which delayed the session until the rain had worsened the track, so nobody could better their time.

Who started in front of Albon? Piastri.

It's wrong! 🤬

• Like 2
  • Agree 1