TT:120 Easterner

Jeff Smith

• RMweb Premium

Had a quick photoshoot with mine, maybe some slight splaying outwards of the cylinders/valance but not particularly noticeable. Measured 25.2mm across the widest part of the valence.

PXL_20230219_151816814.jpg

PXL_20230219_151554978.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hurrah!

My Easterner turned up today (711/888).

I told DPD to leave it at a local dropoff point, so I didn't have to wait around for them to arrive, and I could pick it up at my convenience.

More to follow...

Made an oval up on a temporary baseboard*, only 2 straights a side, I'll need something a couple of inches wider and longer to use 4th rad curves rather than the vaguely thought of 2nd rad solution.  Coach wheels are chafing on the curves, so they will need to be sorted.  WW runs smoothly, apart from the motor hum from the Hornby controller, so that's something else on the to do/to get list, unless I go DCC then the controller problem goes away.  An option that is becoming more attractive!

I'm not impressed by the "power track". The connector box is bulky and obtrusive, and having the controller plug entering parallel to the track is a recipe for disaster, its too close to passing locos, etc. Once I've done the roundy, I'll camoflage them under the station platforms.

I've dug out some TT3 stuff for comparison, and to see if it'll run on the new Hornby track, though I don't envisage it passing through the points!

When I get a round tuit, I may do a couple of photo comparisons between the old and the new...

439879518_TT3andTT120.jpg.cc409f6519457453690a0dd805e7d5a2.jpg

TT3 vs TT120

Triang 350hp shunter and Triang Brush Type 2 (Classes 08 and 31 in new money) vs Hornby A4.  The Class 31 is standing on the new Hornby track for comparison with the A4. The 08 is on Triang type B TT track, which makes it look even bigger!  Both the TT3 locos run happily on the Hornby plain track, though I haven't tried them through the points...

* One that originally hosted a Hornby O gauge tinplate trainset, on ferociously tight tinplate track radii. Even that is too small for 4th radius TT120 curves, with a reasonable run** between the bendy bits, so a better baseboard will be forthcoming and I may reinstall the tinplate track...

** That is, I want the A4 and all three coaches to be in a straight line when paused at the station!

Edited by Hroth
Just a bit more, etc. More etc.
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Stefen1988 said:

The Set is sold out and "available to Pre-Order" again.

Hornby are now showing "last few" rather than "Available to Pre-Order". It'll be interesting to see if it goes to pre-order or to out of stock...

Edited by Hroth
Tidy up...
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Back to 'pre-order'. I would think this is something together with 'The Scotsman' that would be in the range for quite some time, like the OO cousins. There is a lot of interest for it and TT120, on Instagram and YT, even Sam's Trains' video about it is amongst the more popular ones. So if Hornby wants to keep this going, they'll need these kinds of sets. 

• Like 2

Interesting; The UK Website of Hornby says "last few". The german/international Website of Arnold says "available to Pre-Order".

Both should get the Sets from the same pool in the UK?

I think the "The Easterner" Set is a perfect Starter Set; A big Pacific Express Steam Loco and three common Mk1 Coaches. There should be similary Sets for the Midland, Southern and Western Regions which stay permanently. Also a BR Blue Era Set with a Diesel and three Mk1 or Mk2 Coaches would be nice for the Range. Same goes for further "Big Four" Starter Sets.

Edited by Stefen1988
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Stefen1988 said:

I think the "The Easterner" Set is a perfect Starter Set; A big Pacific Express Steam Loco and three common Mk1 Coaches.

All we need is a Brush Type 2 in green to go with the mk1s too!

I won't mention the need for a green 350HP diesel shunter...

Oops!!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Isn't the Class 31 part of Phase 3 or 4?

Hornby could follow an old Arnold concept from the 1970s & 1980s; Many Starter Sets, offered at the same time, some with different radius, to combine them to a double track oval (one set with a main line Train and R3 and another with a shunter train and R2 ect.).

An old Arnold Catalogue of my uncle from the early 80s had 12(!!!) Starter Sets listed.

Edited by Stefen1988
  • Agree 3

If Hornby did a green Brush Type 2 and a green 350hp shunter, then I could have a Minories layout, but until then its going to be Roundys all the way!

A shunter set with a green 'un, a plain mineral wagon, a plain van and a brake van would be the ideal. Issued as a Train Pack without track, but including suggestions for shunting planks, it would be even better as "A layout for the smallest of homes"!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

My Easterner set arrived exactly one week ago, last Thursday. I managed to find time to open the box set it up on Sunday and spent 20 minutes testing it. Like others I did find some distortion in the geometry of one of the R3 curves. That might be a problem for anyone treating it as a train set, but not a problem once the track is pinned down on a baseboard. The A4 ran well, without stalling over the additional Hornby points I had already bought. I wasn't able to test  the Peco points because I forgot to buy some TT:120 rail joiners! I didn't have time to test the R4 oval I also bought.

As others have noticed there is some grinding noise on the R3 curves. Perhaps it's Hornby's attempt at authenticity. I can remember an S&T senior technician showing me how the balance weights worked on a slotted signal at Woodburn Junction, when a freight train took the very tight radius curve, with much grinding and squealing!

The loco and carriages look fantastic, so much so that I have ordered a circle of R2 curves, the 5 maroon mk1 coaches in stock, Night Hawk, and Falcon, giving me two A4s. I even put in a pre-order for the class 08, even though it is blue. (Where's my tin of BR green paint?) I'm very impressed by what I have seen.

Edited by MartinRS
Typo
  • Like 6

58 minutes ago, Grovenor said:

So measured 25.2 mm over the valances, a scale 10 ft, or 10% overwidth. Which shows up the problems of a scale track gauge with overwidth wheels. Underscale track has been swopped for overscale locos.

Just like HO.........

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Grovenor said:

So measured 25.2 mm over the valances, a scale 10 ft, or 10% overwidth. Which shows up the problems of a scale track gauge with overwidth wheels. Underscale track has been swopped for overscale locos.

It will probably be much less of an issue with inside cylinder locos. But I must admit I was slightly surprised when Hornby went in head-first with two big Pacifics as the first releases, given the inherent issues

You pays yer money and you makes your choice...  As Jeff says, HO is no magical panacea for British modelling's issues

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

It will probably be much less of an issue with inside cylinder locos. But I must admit I was slightly surprised when Hornby went in head-first with two big Pacifics as the first releases, given the inherent issues

In a way yes, but then there's SK's predilection for big shiny steamers; and then the A3 and A4 are probably the only classes of steam loco the Sunday supplement reading target audience for TT:120 might recognise.

Personally I'd have much preferred a Spamcan <shock> but there ya go.

• RMweb Premium

I think SK made the right decision with the A1/A3 and A4. The first gives FS, loathed by some, but look, even Märklin/Trix make it now in HO, for it first birthday. Would have been quite the uproar here on RMweb if Hornby didn't. Shouts of missed opportunities etc .. 

The second gives the fastest steamloc ever, wouldn't be surprised if FS in HO is a succes, Mallard might follow. 

If you start a new scale/gauge, you want ROI, and sorry for the haters, but FS and M have the highest score. A gronk is nothing for me, but makes sence as well. Long period of use, all over the UK. And if I'm not mistaken, runs in the EU as well. 

Hornby/SK made/make a lot of strange decisions, but choosing their flagship loco's to start TT120 is, in my opinion, not one of them. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 6

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...