RMweb

Hornby 2023 - New tooling - Streamlined B17/5

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Until it's got a few hundred miles on the clock and gets rough.

I was talking appearances. Should have said nothing more pleasing to the eye. Not something I would say about the B17/5.

Edited by Downer
  • Like 1

On 12/01/2023 at 12:29, Ribird said:

Can anyone share the catalogue image on here? 

Can't really post images from the catalog due to copywrite issues, however, it's just text in the catalog as the accompanying image is just a historical image of the real loco (and is the same one you can see here: https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lner-class-b175-4-6-0-2859-east-anglian-era-3-r30136 )

16 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

If we are getting a new chassis, then Hornby will be able to produce B2 class locos (may I suggest 61671 Rolyal Soveriegn) for all our Thompson fans next year.

61671 is the only possibility unless they tool up two new tender types. That had a GS tender, the others got tenders from the P1s and C7s.

So, I'm afraid we're probably stuck with the DMR kit or bodging the Hornby B17.

The rest would have also been rebuilt, but it was the arrival of the Britannias that scuppered that and then the diesels arrived anyway. Both classes went pretty quickly between 1958 and 1960. Ironically before the classes they were meant to replace, the last B12s and D11s went in 1961.

Jason

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

61671 is the only possibility unless they tool up two new tender types. That had a GS tender, the others got tenders from the P1s and C7s.

So, I'm afraid we're probably stuck with the DMR kit or bodging the Hornby B17.

The rest would have also been rebuilt, but it was the arrival of the Britannias that scuppered that and then the diesels arrived anyway. Both classes went pretty quickly between 1958 and 1960. Ironically before the classes they were meant to replace, the last B12s and D11s went in 1961.

Jason

Not so. Several of the B2s had ex-NER tenders of the 4125 gallon type as supplied with the Q6 model. So this could be an option without new tooling.

629747417_DSCN0053(3).JPG.2a5443e8e307ae6e19d94d864b6a2949.JPG

My Hornby B2 using a B1 body /Chassis and B17 wheels along with other body modifications and Hornby Q6 tender. 

935604199_B2two003(2).JPG.24eeaff2559c8a2f0454fd615dfe35d4.JPG

This one has a cut back NER tender using the old B17 tender drive GS body and parts supplied with the old Crownline 1980s conversion kit on the modern B1 tender chassis, (which has the wrong wheelbase I know, but it is a connection with my modelling history!).

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/01/2023 at 11:18, Downer said:

I was talking appearances. Should have said nothing more pleasing to the eye. Not something I would say about the B17/5.

B16s, and B17s come to that, were much better looking than B1s in my opinion.  Many an engineman's heart sank if the train he was about to relieve ran in with a B1 instead of the expected B16.  A pal of mine was nearly killed when firing on a B1 which was so rough he was almost thrown off the footplate but fortunately he managed to grab a handrail as he was going out of the cab.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 11/01/2023 at 13:05, Bucoops said:

Interesting that the brake is the "wrong way" round on the top photo - I would have thought it was a fixed set?

The second photo is compartment stock so definitely not EA.

happened often with stock , no time to turn coaches for the sake of it. often 2 car sub sets would have the guards area in the middle of the train so he had good visability

• RMweb Gold
On 15/01/2023 at 10:56, The Stationmaster said:

B16s, and B17s come to that, were much better looking than B1s in my opinion.  Many an engineman's heart sank if the train he was about to relieve ran in with a B1 instead of the expected B16.  A pal of mine was nearly killed when firing on a B1 which was so rough he was almost thrown off the footplate but fortunately he managed to grab a handrail as he was going out of the cab.

Hello everyone

Going slightly off topic, but adding to what Mike says above...

I started my 'trainspotting career' in 1957 in the Waltham Cross area (Liverpool Street-Cambridge line).

I have an abiding memory of being on the station watching a B1-hauled express hurtling towards me. The loco was jumping all over the place. I was so scared that it was about to derail, I ran for my life out of the station through the booking hall!

Brian

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, gpplumy said:

happened often with stock , no time to turn coaches for the sake of it. often 2 car sub sets would have the guards area in the middle of the train so he had good visability

I don't think the East Anglian stock needed turning? It was a built for purpose set - BTO-RFO-FO-TO-RTO-BTO (I think a Brake 3rd open is BTO?).

Edited by Bucoops
got the coach order incorrect
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

There's a feature on the many locos called "City Of London" in this month's "Steam Days", with a lot of B17/5 content.

Are there any colour pics?

48 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

Sadly not!

The only colour photograph of a streamlined B17 that I recall is of 61659 East Anglian c1948 at London Liverpool Street Station, which "looks" like the LNER green livery. Not sure where photo came from ( I've been collecting photos etc for more years than I wish to disclose!!)  or copyright, but it has been published a number of times.

879171846_ClassB-1761659EastAnglianB-111047@LiverpoolSt.jpg.a408a33667a7cf1dbd69a0e02cedda04.jpg

The second photo of East Anglian is at Colchester on a down working and taken on 30 July 1949 by George Powell copyright GER Society. Note the vertical line between black smoke-box and green boiler.

19342154_B174-6-061659EastAnglian30July1949AL21.38GeorgePowell.tif(2).jpg.ac7a119547f59a62b7cc6376fffaca03.jpg

Paul

• Like 11

1 hour ago, PaulG said:

The only colour photograph of a streamlined B17 that I recall is of 61659 East Anglian c1948 at London Liverpool Street Station, which "looks" like the LNER green livery. Not sure where photo came from ( I've been collecting photos etc for more years than I wish to disclose!!)  or copyright, but it has been published a number of times.

879171846_ClassB-1761659EastAnglianB-111047@LiverpoolSt.jpg.a408a33667a7cf1dbd69a0e02cedda04.jpg

I’d have said that that photo showed 61659 in black rather than green. Seems to look an awful lot closer to the black 1047 on the right rather than the green tender in the background, and there doesn’t seem to be any join around the smoke box area between the green and black as down on the second of your two pictures. 

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1
  • Agree 11

On 18/01/2023 at 09:54, rogerzilla said:

There's a feature on the many locos called "City Of London" in this month's "Steam Days", with a lot of B17/5 content.

I purchased a copy of Steam Days and Andrew Wilson in his article on "City of London" states:

"Neither the LNER or British Railways repainted the B17/5s in green after the war.......".

However, The RCTS in Part 2B of Locomotives of the LNER page 110 states:

" Only one of the streamlined engines, No. 61659 received LNER green with "BRITISH RAILWAYS" in full, this being done by Darlington in July 1949 at the time it was also given a smokebox numberplate. The effect of the green livery was spoiled by the black painting of the smokebox sides being carried back to the first cleading band like the style first adopted on those engines of the A4 class painted green before the War. No 61670 was never repainted green whilst still streamlined and continued to run in unlined black, but since August 1948 with "BRITISH RAILWAYS" on the tender and number painted on the bufferbeam etc etc...................."

It will be interesting to see the letters page of subsequent issues of Steam Days. Unfortunately, there are no "new" photos of B17/5 that haven't been published before.

Paul

Edited by PaulG
My typo error, Andrew Wilson photo caption said "B17/5s", ie plural, which I took as meaning both locos.
  • Like 3

On 16/01/2023 at 13:42, BMacdermott said:

I have an abiding memory of being on the station watching a B1-hauled express hurtling towards me. The loco was jumping all over the place. I was so scared that it was about to derail, I ran for my life out of the station through the booking hall!

Brian

Reminds me of an incident at Sheringham a few years ago.  We were on the platform as a 9F ran round the train.  The safety valves lifted and our two dogs were so terrified they bolted pulling their leads out of my hand and shot through the booking hall into the street.  Fortunately there wasn't any traffic about and they were unharmed.

• Friendly/supportive 4

On 12/01/2023 at 20:41, GeoffBird said:

If we are getting a new chassis, then Hornby will be able to produce B2 class locos (may I suggest 61671 Rolyal Soveriegn) for all our Thompson fans next year.

I would love a RTR B2, being a one-time resident of Framlingham, but I suspect the problem is the tenders - second-hand ones from various classes of scrapped engines - expensive to tool for an obscure and uncharismatic class. Having said that, I suspect Royal Sovereign in apple green would sell well.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1