Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

4 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Thanks for the useful info.

My installations are all via iPhone 13 using wifi 6 for internet, latest bluetooth for locos, approx 300MBps up and down speeds with the wifi.

No other apps running on the phone. Of course several other devices can be using wifi at the same time (in a quiet period maybe just 2 max). At the same time, I am living abroad.

A question though, if I re-install the phone app (keeping the chip code names etc.), how will the phone app find the current profiles of my chips? I see there is a import / export profile button, but not sure if this is intended for that purpose when re-connecting all the chips again. (The other possibility is recovering them online, after all it knows my account name etc...).

When you link to the decoder on the new device it asks if you want to import the existing profile. Say yes and it reads from the decoder to the default loco generated in the app by the link. The import/export profile facility is for if you had set up say a Bachman loco and/or shuffled the function buttons about, etc you could export that config then reimport it to another loco of the same type. The standard import running profile and function listing buttons is pulled from the Hornby server for that particular sound profile. If you already have a loco setup for that decoder then unassign the decoder from the default new loco and reassign to the loco of choice.

Edit - make sure you unassign, delink and delete the decoders from the old device or the new device will not be able to find them on a scan.

Edited by RAF96
  • Thanks 1

I have to admit that the Automated fun function of these decoders is quite good. Triggering whistles as you move off, brake noises as you stop etc.

You have got quite a choice of driving all the bits by yourself or letting the app do it for you. I guess a lot comes down to your fancy of the moment. Driving one loco or running a few locos at once.

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2023 at 19:37, Bob83a said:

Hornby have updated the sound profile availability list as at 31/3/23

https://support.Hornby.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/8280166052892/Available_Profiles_for_HM_DCC__31-3-2023_.pdf

It now gives dates for the sound previously announced but not yet available.

Just to update this the link has changed, this works now:

https://support.Hornby.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/8566718480028/Available_Profiles_for_HM_DCC__25-4-2023_.pdf

A4 is now live but we are still waiting for the Deltic sounds, but I guess we have only just dipped into Q2 ...... (can't wait)

Edit: although the function map is available to download for the SD002 A4, the sound profile is yet to be added to the "Browse Profiles" list on the app

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 04/05/2023 at 15:24, RedgateModels said:

Just to update this the link has changed, this works now:

https://support.Hornby.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/8566718480028/Available_Profiles_for_HM_DCC__25-4-2023_.pdf

A4 is now live but we are still waiting for the Deltic sounds, but I guess we have only just dipped into Q2 ...... (can't wait)

Edit: although the function map is available to download for the SD002 A4, the sound profile is yet to be added to the "Browse Profiles" list on the app

Everything I want i still q3 :(

On 02/05/2023 at 11:40, JSpencer said:

The chip just goes in between motor and circuit board - though note, the circuit board is lifted slightly so do not screw it back down tight (TBH I could not think of worst place for a chip in a loco!).

Insulating tape was added after.

Same way I did mine, though I fully removed the motor to do it. Your way looks better, as the drive shafts are tricky to slot back in. 

I put the decoder in to one side so around half was overhanging a flywheel. It won’t touch, but leaves less stress pushing the circuit board up. I was able to screw the circuit board back in as a result, less a tiny amount. 

Following advice a few pages back, I carefully removed one cab then removed the chair base on one side. This then gives enough room for the powerbank to slide in snug on the floor between the console and rear bulkhead. The wire needs to be run carefully past the bulkhead and back to the decoder without letting it get between the body and chassis block as this stops the body clips re engaging to hold the body on. 

The first one took a while with some trial and error, but I’m confident the next one if I convert it will be a lot easier because I know what I’m doing. 

• Thanks 2

Is anyone able to tell me what the differences between OO scale and TT scale sounds would be? I'm guessing the sound would be the same but the difference would be in the motor control/speed side of things? 

Just wondering as the TT A4 is showing as live whereas the 00 A4 is not. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, K Hatton said:

Is anyone able to tell me what the differences between OO scale and TT scale sounds would be? I'm guessing the sound would be the same but the difference would be in the motor control/speed side of things? 

Just wondering as the TT A4 is showing as live whereas the 00 A4 is not. 

The is an issue with the PWM used to drive the motors, therefore the algorithm needs to be different, using the same modulation apparently causes buzzing from the motor.

The chuff rate is dependant on the speed of the motor and the gearing between it and the wheels. So different rates are required for the different scales.

Apparently there are different sound profiles for diesels as well as steam. There will probably be different sound profiles for all locos. See the profile schedule on the Hornby site which shows two profiles where locos are being made in both scales.

• Thanks 1

Correct in that the motor algorithm is different, although you could install any available and run the auto-calibrate routine to set the motor control side up.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RAF96 said:

Correct in that the motor algorithm is different, although you could install any available and run the auto-calibrate routine to set the motor control side up.

Interesting to know, thanks. 

Currently just a theoretical question for me as I don't own an i-anything 😅

I have been playing around using the new Hornby 7000 system alongside my existing dcc set up to experiment with banking trains. This is because the next phase of layout development is intended to be some key elements of Grayrigg bank.

I am pretty happy with the results. No examples of pile ups with wagons derailing and I find the sound variations between train engine and banker adds a lot to my enjoyment. My only issue is an odd case of buffer locking on the curve at the start of the bank. Slightly bigger buffers may be added as a precaution . On the proposed layout the curve would not be there. 

I find having the freedom to move around following the train with iphone(s) in hand much more useful than I imagined. With care its possible to decide how much of the train weight the banker is taking. All the stock is unweighted so far. I do find that the TXS as downloaded files are unrealistic because they show up as one cylinder engines very clearly in contrast to the others. I have found the Bluetooth commands to be reliable on the 7 TXS decoders installed so far and its great to be able to change set up and sound levels whilst the train is on the move. The sounds are currently set right down. 

The video shows some early experiments with a variety of sound fitted locos. ESU , Zimo, TXS standard downloads, TXS modified speed curves. Can you identify which is which?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY9hrEFr-MI

Just need proper smoke units now!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I got my first HM7000 sound decoder today to have a bit of an experiment with. Setting it up was absolutely flawless, which was a welcome surprise. I updated the firmware, then loaded the sound profile and motor profile first time no problems. I'll be using this for a Bachmann 08 and it sounds pretty good. Must say overall my impression is very favourable. My only downside is that there is not yet a profile for them in JMRI DecoderPro, so I can't add and control them from that yet. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Any news on the android app? 

Also, i was hoping to see a class 20 on the list as they did that in TTS, but as it happens, whilst browsing in the Pecorama shop i came accross a TTS fitted class 20. Couldnt believe my luck!

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, HExpressD said:

assume a few aren't?

I assume some (well we know a couple at least)  are testing, but I know its not everyone :) Unless I missed the memo/invite...

3 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

I assume some (well we know a couple at least)  are testing, but I know its not everyone :) Unless I missed the memo/invite...

A few more than that. Some are just not flagging their tester status.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A quickie...

Will the locos Hornby are advertising as being fitted with TXS sound controllers be pre-loaded with their sound suite, or will the lucky owner have to download and install the sound file themselves?

Apologies if this has been covered previously.

17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

A quickie...

Will the locos Hornby are advertising as being fitted with TXS sound controllers be pre-loaded with their sound suite, or will the lucky owner have to download and install the sound file themselves?

Apologies if this has been covered previously.

previous reports say they will have the correct sound for the model concerned

• Thanks 1

Has anyone got any first-hand experience using the B12 sound profile that they can report back on the quality? I assume they recorded the real thing but it would be good to get someone’s feedback on it before taking the plunge myself.