Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Just read Ian's review of HM7000 in BRM.

Other than saying it uses an app to load (and control) ,it doesn't even mention the words Apple or Android and the availability of the app.

I didn't mention the (non)availability of the Android app as at the time of writing it was looking like the app was imminent. I did not want to say that it was not available only for it to be released during the timeframe of the issue. This may still happen of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

I didn't mention the (non)availability of the Android app as at the time of writing it was looking like the app was imminent. I did not want to say that it was not available only for it to be released during the timeframe of the issue. This may still happen of course.

Wouldn't younhave been covered by an '...at the time of writing unavailable'

12 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

Wouldn't younhave been covered by an '...at the time of writing unavailable'

From what RAF96 says they are still testing it. They then have the wonderful job of reintegrating it with the release that contains the Apple based code.  Probably the Apple based code will have changed slightly from the release the  Android code was based on, to include any bugs or shortfalls found.

You develop applications against functional and non-functional requirements to ensure that the the application can be developed independent of limitations provided by the delivery mechanism. When limitations are found in the delivery mechanism then the FR or NFR must be amended and the changes costed to reflect the agreed changes.

If the FR and NFR remain the same then what has been developed for iOS will have no impact upon anything that has been written or developed for Android. When using an Agile development methodology changes are implemented constantly across all platforms therefore no requirement to re-engineer or reverse engineer anything.

Using FR and NFR enables effective testing and acceptance to be undertaken because you have a reference to test against.

6 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

You develop applications against functional and non-functional requirements to ensure that the the application can be developed independent of limitations provided by the delivery mechanism. When limitations are found in the delivery mechanism then the FR or NFR must be amended and the changes costed to reflect the agreed changes.

If the FR and NFR remain the same then what has been developed for iOS will have no impact upon anything that has been written or developed for Android. When using an Agile development methodology changes are implemented constantly across all platforms therefore no requirement to re-engineer or reverse engineer anything.

Using FR and NFR enables effective testing and acceptance to be undertaken because you have a reference to test against.

I assume you are talking about a code management system or are you assuming that they have designed their software to have a separate layer for the Apple/Android interface. We are talking about a very low cost system here probably implemented by a team of a couple of people. I think you are getting confused with much higher cost projects. If the Android and Apple systems differ by the amount I get told, then I doubt it is that easy. It can't be otherwise it would be available now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

The need for functional and non functional requirements is totally independent of the size, complexity or costs of any application, or target delivery platform.

I know, been on the course, reality is somewhat different especially when you are talking about projects like these.  

• Agree 1

If you worked for a competent company developing applications on a professional basis then you would understand the full development lifecycle and realise the absolute need for all of the different parts to be undertaken in a controlled and managed environment.

if you have worked in projects or deliveries where these have not happened then all I can suggest is that either you work at a level whereby you do not have visibility of the complete lifecycle, you are working for a company that is incompetent, or you only know theory from ‘courses’ and the comments you make are from other course attendees.

It is completely impossible to develop anything without requirements, both functional and non-functional - if you don’t have them how on earth does anyone know what they have to develop, or when they have developed ‘something’ whether it meets what was wanted.

Look I don't know what your issue is, I worked for a multinational company involved in automotive design. We generally had teams of software engineers ranging from 3 on small projects to 20 on the bigger ones. All the projects were on real time embedded applications such as engine management, audio systems and many more. Yes we were not a major software house but then looking at all the other companies that do this sort of thing nor were they. Yes we used many code management systems, Clearcase which has been superseeded by a more up to date system. We also used a Yordon based tool for module design. So don't be so arrogant and think everyone is stupid. It was also a requirement for all of our software engineers to have a 2.1 degree in Engineering so we by no way a "mickey mouse" firm. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

If it is any consolation to Hornby and their HM7000, I have recently built an extension to my house. Being a person that likes tech I bought boxes to control my electric roof veluxes and the Philips Hue lights. Not only did the boxes to do this cost extra, the Velux one only connects half the time by playing with the unit and when it does you think why did I bother. Ok I can run it from my phone by the individual controls that came with the unit are easier. The Philips box cannot even find my lights so it sound like an email to Philips. Don't you love technology.

So tonight I decided to take the plunge and set about fitting my first TXS decoder/speaker/stay alive setup to my Bachmann Blue Peter A2. 

I chose this model as my test subject for a few reasons:

1. No tender pick-ups (hence stay alive) 

2. Metal body and metal weight in boiler to work around/figure out. 

3. I wanted to replace the previously fitted laisdcc "kung fu" chip and stay alive (kept the loco running for 20 seconds after a short occurred - far too long i.m.o) 

I'll let the pictures do the talking but the end result is it all fits rather neatly and programmed up like a normal dcc chip on my Hornby elite (currently unable to download the app as android user).

Stay alive works nicely but isn't overly powerful.

Speaker fits on top of the boiler weight using the 2nd largest enclosure.

I have put heat shrink around the chip to prevent it shorting out on the body (secured with a dab of glue at the wire end - I'm not brave/stupid enough to try and heat it up and fry the chip!)

I'll update the chip and maybe change the sound set when the android app becomes available (I know the A2 isn't on the list but would appreciate any suggestions of what would be the closest match from the current options  - Tornado perhaps?)

IMG_20230615_224444.jpg.53925b011a81e6eed2973868c9f76636.jpg

IMG_20230615_232208.jpg.86e04c9115b4fa3de7eba2f9d25c0043.jpg

IMG_20230615_233753.jpg.0c47b1d1b988b84e57869f18d3d4b700.jpg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

13 hours ago, K Hatton said:

So tonight I decided to take the plunge and set about fitting my first TXS decoder/speaker/stay alive setup to my Bachmann Blue Peter A2. 

I chose this model as my test subject for a few reasons:

1. No tender pick-ups (hence stay alive) 

2. Metal body and metal weight in boiler to work around/figure out. 

3. I wanted to replace the previously fitted laisdcc "kung fu" chip and stay alive (kept the loco running for 20 seconds after a short occurred - far too long i.m.o) 

I'll let the pictures do the talking but the end result is it all fits rather neatly and programmed up like a normal dcc chip on my Hornby elite (currently unable to download the app as android user).

Stay alive works nicely but isn't overly powerful.

Speaker fits on top of the boiler weight using the 2nd largest enclosure.

I have put heat shrink around the chip to prevent it shorting out on the body (secured with a dab of glue at the wire end - I'm not brave/stupid enough to try and heat it up and fry the chip!)

I'll update the chip and maybe change the sound set when the android app becomes available (I know the A2 isn't on the list but would appreciate any suggestions of what would be the closest match from the current options  - Tornado perhaps?)

IMG_20230615_224444.jpg.53925b011a81e6eed2973868c9f76636.jpg

IMG_20230615_232208.jpg.86e04c9115b4fa3de7eba2f9d25c0043.jpg

IMG_20230615_233753.jpg.0c47b1d1b988b84e57869f18d3d4b700.jpg

Very nicely done! I'd say go with the A1/A3/ tornado specific sounds when you get the chance. 

Nathan...

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Tornado is not ready yet

Nor is the android app, hence why Nathan said 'when you get the chance' 😉

To be fair the generic profile isn't actually bad. It covers all the basic sounds and is another sound fitted loco to play with in the meantime (and can be changed/updated in the future) 

• Like 1

On 13/06/2023 at 13:11, ColinB said:

I assume you are talking about a code management system or are you assuming that they have designed their software to have a separate layer for the Apple/Android interface. We are talking about a very low cost system here probably implemented by a team of a couple of people. I think you are getting confused with much higher cost projects. If the Android and Apple systems differ by the amount I get told, then I doubt it is that easy. It can't be otherwise it would be available now.

With the right code framework (and plenty are available), the size of your team should have no real impact on cross platform development.

If you chose to develop with no such framework, start on one and then port to the other then again your team size will have little effect on the self inflicted shots to your feet.

1 hour ago, meatloaf said:

Android App is out!!

Make sure you search for HM DCC as i couldnt see it when i searched HMDCC

App now installed on my phone, logged in, and realised I'm now gonna have to re-register the decoders to this one vice my sisters ipad hahaha! Is what it is though!

Nathan...

Major changes with regards to the HM | DCC apps:

IOS Update and Android Release:

• Improved (Sound) Profile install consistency.

• Complex Speed Curve CV Settings added into HM | DCC.

• Directional Arrows swapped over to match with existing Hornby DCC controllers.

• Altered the max of the Global Volume slider in Locomotive Settings to 125.

• In the Engine Shed, added the ability to delete all unassigned locomotives.

• Updated value ranges on some CVs in the ADV. CV EDITOR.

• Altered ADV. CV EDITOR jargon for ADCC/ABC functionality.

• Improved app stability.

• Various minor bug fixes.

• New (Sound) Profiles:

◦ Class 55 (soon)

◦ Tornado

Edit - as new sound profiles are introduced they will incorporate power bank charging whilst stationary - previously only once a loco was on the move. This will overcome reports of stalling from a ‘cold’ start.

Edited by RAF96
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 10

1 hour ago, RAF96 said:

Major changes with regards to the HM | DCC apps:

IOS Update and Android Release:

• Improved (Sound) Profile install consistency.

• Complex Speed Curve CV Settings added into HM | DCC.

• Directional Arrows swapped over to match with existing Hornby DCC controllers.

• Altered the max of the Global Volume slider in Locomotive Settings to 125.

• In the Engine Shed, added the ability to delete all unassigned locomotives.

• Updated value ranges on some CVs in the ADV. CV EDITOR.

• Altered ADV. CV EDITOR jargon for ADCC/ABC functionality.

• Improved app stability.

• Various minor bug fixes.

• New (Sound) Profiles:

◦ Class 55 (soon)

◦ Tornado

Ive got 2 devices i can install it on

A lenovo M7 tablet or a samsung Galaxy S20 phone

Given the S20 is on the incompatible list would i be better tryng it on the tablet? I do have it installed on the s20 and logged in to my account on it but havent tried anything decoder wise as i was curious what makes it incompatible given its fine on the older S9 and the newer S21?

Edited by meatloaf

1 hour ago, meatloaf said:

Ive got 2 devices i can install it on

A lenovo M7 tablet or a samsung Galaxy S20 phone

Given the S20 is on the incompatible list would i be better tryng it on the tablet? I do have it installed on the s20 and logged in to my account on it but havent tried anything decoder wise as i was curious what makes it incompatible given its fine on the older S9 and the newer S21?

The simplest way is to install the app on your chosen device and see if it opens and allows you to log in, if so then it is likely to be fine and you could as a curtesy report to George on HM.customercare@Hornby.com that it works and he will tick it off the list.

Edit - The next step is to see if the app will connect with a decoder and ultimately load a sound profile.

Edited by RAF96
  • Like 1

From the outset, and by default, the powerbank is charged only when the loco is in motion. However, testers identified that occasionally locos would initially stall with an uncharged PB.

The new profile for Tornado now has ‘charging when stationary’ as the default. I understand that this function will be added to the other profiles in time.

This does mean that when loading sound profiles the required power cycles take a little longer while the PB uses up its remaining charge.

The instructions do say that a power cycle with a PB may take up to 60 seconds - in practice I have found it to be a little more than that.

I have developed my own process for this - you can just take the loco off the track, but I have a length of thin plasticard that I place under all the wheels on one side of the loco to isolate it from the track. Then I keep an eye on the decoder code which is coloured blue when the decoder is connected to the app. When it changes to red, the PB has powered down and the power cycle has completed. Remove the plasticard strip and wait for the code to change back to blue before going on to the next step in the setup.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3