Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

10 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

I can confirm that the WiFi was good, the phone was next to the model the entire time with no notification or any interruptions, plus I had already installed it one another decoder only half an hour before. I also tried it on two separate decoders and had the same issue.

Simon

Try loading a different profile - I suggest the class 08 as it is the smallest file - to confirm that the decoder is ok. If that is successful reload the 73.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi

I have fitted a decoder, speaker and powerbank to a Hornby Class 08 (as per the Hornby magazine article), but also have a Bachmann Class 08 as well. I'm sure I read somewhere in this thread that someone had managed it, but cannot find it now. I know the layout under the body is different to the Hornby version, but wondered if anyone had any details on the layout of the components?

As always any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Mark

1 hour ago, digger62 said:

Hi

I have fitted a decoder, speaker and powerbank to a Hornby Class 08 (as per the Hornby magazine article), but also have a Bachmann Class 08 as well. I'm sure I read somewhere in this thread that someone had managed it, but cannot find it now. I know the layout under the body is different to the Hornby version, but wondered if anyone had any details on the layout of the components?

As always any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Mark

I can help with that. Having taken the same steps as the user you've attempted to search for, I took some photos of my Bachmann 08's innards. WhatsAppImage2023-07-08at17_53_17.jpg.561dc6ca96f3051c414bb3fe67852e0d.jpgWhatsAppImage2023-07-08at17_53_172.jpg.5c0b756c7cc687dc9f73caa4d7023cec.jpg

One thing to point out though, I attempted to fit a power bank, but couldn't, so removed it after I'd taken these photos, so ignore the PB wire on the decoder. Hope this helps!!

Nathan...

• Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, D3489gibson said:

I can help with that. Having taken the same steps as the user you've attempted to search for, I took some photos of my Bachmann 08's innards. WhatsAppImage2023-07-08at17_53_17.jpg.561dc6ca96f3051c414bb3fe67852e0d.jpgWhatsAppImage2023-07-08at17_53_172.jpg.5c0b756c7cc687dc9f73caa4d7023cec.jpg

One thing to point out though, I attempted to fit a power bank, but couldn't, so removed it after I'd taken these photos, so ignore the PB wire on the decoder. Hope this helps!!

Nathan...

Thanks Nathan that's really helpful. I'm guessing from what you say that fitting the powerbank is a step too far for the space inside! I wonder if the cab comes away like the Hornby one if it would fit in there?

Mark

The Next18 decoder can be made to fit in Dapol locos that have the DCC socket on a pull out daughter board in the smokebox.

The powerpack and speaker socket must be removed and it is still a tight fit requiring a very firm push to reseat the daughter board as the decoder is effectively wedged in the barrel.

943DB8EE-9420-4AE7-8520-CF6FB8EAA44F.jpeg.f702d688fcb03ca430ed28145ab63997.jpeg

The speaker has to go in the tender for best sound. There is a bigger recess in there.

7CEC801B-3E33-4D72-AB0A-C28BA2C9A482.jpeg.26ff75c0a46dd2a80ff7a67c422f0bb8.jpeg

The decoder can still be removed if needed to - it requires careful gripping with pliers and pulling, taking care not to damage the bluetooth aerial.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, D3489gibson said:

Nathan...

Thats great, did you have to modify the 08 in any way to get it to fit? Im assuming that the smallest speaker enclosure supplied?

2 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Thats great, did you have to modify the 08 in any way to get it to fit? Im assuming that the smallest speaker enclosure supplied?

No modding required, yeah smallest speaker housing was used. 

5 hours ago, meatloaf said:

ah super- - might have a go at getting one in mine then

Honestly, it's worth doing! I'm tempted to do my 08833/ D4001 up with one so it can pair better with my SF'd accurascale J69 when it's released... might also see if I can squeeze a power bank into the cab as well without doing too much damage...

Nathan

Post moved from where I managed to post in the wrong topic. 

Removing the PB and speaker socket off the Next18 version makes them fit in all the Dapol models that feature the socket on a daughter board in the smokebox. The sockets just break off cleanly using a pair of pliers to rock them off. 

The decoder then uses the speaker connection via the Next18 socket and for ease I solder it to the speaker connections in the tender in the smallest of the rectangular enclosures which is a perfect fit. 

3C15B0E3-A855-4F4A-9AB1-46D3AD6A9F33.jpeg.32654d8180eb7a096d99f52ab741197d.jpeg

All three locos I tried - Mogul, Manor and D class - were an easy fit with the sockets off. These locos have no real need for the Powerbank anyway. 

the Manor does need a groove cutting in the flange on the back of the smokebox door to make room for the decoder end. The D class does not need this, and the Mogul can get away without it but removing a small amount of plastic improves the fit. 

4B0EE5D3-F416-48E6-BD69-DDA191AD49F8.jpeg.68ade8a5b3c13a44d8b3bbeead74c1f0.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.. I'm sure I am just missing something obvious here like a save button but one thing I do like is the ability to fine tune each sound on the fly... No superloud spirex valves or primers .. however once you have every CV volume adjusted as soon as you use the global volume my expectations would be for the volumes to be raised in the same ratios up or down. But it seems to just reset everything to match the highest volume. 

Is this just how it works or should I be saving each profile 

12 hours ago, Ighten said:

Ok.. I'm sure I am just missing something obvious here like a save button but one thing I do like is the ability to fine tune each sound on the fly... No superloud spirex valves or primers .. however once you have every CV volume adjusted as soon as you use the global volume my expectations would be for the volumes to be raised in the same ratios up or down. But it seems to just reset everything to match the highest volume. 

Is this just how it works or should I be saving each profile 

I haven’t tried it but I guess if you set it up as desired then exported the profile, if global volume screwed that up you could import it again. The answer if not would be to set the global volume first then adjust the individual items and save out by export.

6 hours ago, RAF96 said:

I haven’t tried it but I guess if you set it up as desired then exported the profile, if global volume screwed that up you could import it again. The answer if not would be to set the global volume first then adjust the individual items and save out by export.

Yes that does seem to be the only solution. Will have to make a few profiles. "In house alone"... "Wife is in next room".... "What do you mean it's 3am"

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, newbryford said:

If you go to the following link and then scroll down to the Profile Function Maps section, then the first link (HM.DCC & HM7000 Available (Sound Profiles) should be the most up to date - if you open it now then it currently shows a June 2023 version.

https://uk.Hornby.com/hm7000/hm-dcc-guides

Note: posting a direct link to a document like that  often results in reading out of date articles, hence I posted the index page which will hopefully always contain up-to-date links

Edited by 5Dublo2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, 5Dublo2 said:

If you go to the following link and then scroll down to the Profile Function Maps section, then the first link (HM.EDCC & HM700 Available (Sound Profiles) should be the most up to date - if you open it now then it currently shows a June 2023 version.

https://uk.Hornby.com/hm7000/hm-dcc-guides

Note: posting a direct link to a document like that  often results in reading out of date articles, hence I posted the index page which will hopefully always contain up-to-date links

The link was found via the current Hornby HM7000 pages - at the bottom of this page.

https://uk.Hornby.com/hm7000/sound-profile

Ta for the updated list.

I note it now includes the promised Q2/2023 profiles

3 hours ago, newbryford said:

The link was found via the current Hornby HM7000 pages - at the bottom of this page.

https://uk.Hornby.com/hm7000/sound-profile

Great - yet again Hornby's abysmal grasp of how to maintain a website rears up to bite us - what's the betting the next version of that same document will appear against a completely different link and both the old links will remain pointing at the obsolete documents

I could be wrong but the 47 and 37 must be pretty imminent as the tsx fitted versions are due in Sept according to my local store. Can't remember the R numbers ( in fact personally I don't remember a 37 being offered)

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

Does anyone have any schematics for fitting lighting on a 21 pin sound txs decoder by any chance? Never done aux wiring on 21 pin and hoping to fit lights on my Hornby 08 21 pin version. 

Not sure what you need in the way of diagrams but the decoder manual gives pin outs for all decoder variants, so you should be able to hook up from that. There is also an appendix talking to use of LEDs.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

I've dug through the thread without success, but will a NCE power cab have enough omph to power up TXS decoders? (and equally not too much omph that it blows them please)?

They work fine with my Powercab, I do have a 2.5A supply though. Having said that the standard PSU will have enough power for at least 1 TXS decoder, maybe more.

As to too much, well, a power supply will only supply the current demanded, up to it's limit, so as long as there's no shorts etc then all will be fine. Anyone using a Powercab should have a separate short circuit protection device anyway as the powercab does not respond very well to shorts ..... 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Maybe a stupid question, but since the size of the next18 TXS is often a problem, for example in my LNER  A5's and G5 because of the antenna, is repositioning or replacing a possibility? 

1 hour ago, Johan DC said:

Maybe a stupid question, but since the size of the next18 TXS is often a problem, for example in my LNER  A5's and G5 because of the antenna, is repositioning or replacing a possibility? 

How do you mean? Repositioning or replacing the antenna, or the next 18 socket in the locos??

Nathan...

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, D3489gibson said:

How do you mean? Repositioning or replacing the antenna, or the next 18 socket in the locos??

Nathan...

The antenna. In both Loco types it's the antenna that sticks out. So I wondered if I could cut it of and fit at Angle or so, or put a small flecible antenna.