Hornby 2023 - New tooling - TTA tank wagon

AY Mod

On 10/01/2023 at 07:45, RP82 said:

Do I spy a tail lamp on the ladder end?  Speaking of which I'm liking the different styles of ladder. 

Looks like it could be

On 10/01/2023 at 18:26, JohnR said:

Also. why are Hornby only doing 3 wagons? Why not make up triple packs of these (with different running numbers)? People are going to want to create block trains, not a single wagon attached to an ad hoc selection of wagons. Hornby still seem to think modellers are running pseudo steam age branch trains. 

Well, if that is a tail lamp on it, you'll only need one anyway, as it'll have to be the rear vehicle

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/01/2023 at 17:03, shunny said:

I just hope they make enough my tier 1 retailer has been given an allocation and it's not huge only 3 of each livery. Not great if your wanting a block train🤔. He is hoping to increase it so I will have to wait and see if he can get 15 shell wagons.

On 10/01/2023 at 18:26, JohnR said:

Also. why are Hornby only doing 3 wagons? Why not make up triple packs of these (with different running numbers)? People are going to want to create block trains, not a single wagon attached to an ad hoc selection of wagons. Hornby still seem to think modellers are running pseudo steam age branch trains. 

On 01/04/2023 at 08:59, Enterprisingwestern said:

"The main focus for many on a model railway layout is, of course, the locomotives. It could perhaps be understandable that the rolling stock behind most locomotives can often just be seen as something needed to complete the image of a train."

Words fail me, locomotives are only the main focus because companies such as Hornby primarily produce them over rolling stock, for every locomotive produced by Hornby they should be producing about 5 new coaches and 10 new wagons to an equal standard, their inference of a bias/preference is wholly self generated, then when they belatedly bring out a half decent wagon they trumpet it from the rooftops as though they are the great saviour of railway modelling.

Rant over.

Mike.

Well yes. I wonder how many of us are familiar with the concept of buying wagons in two and three packs  (other combos also available).  I have HUOs KAVs MDOs and MDVs from Accurascale in triple packs as well as triples of Bachmann  ahem  Esso tanks and conflats.

Surely Hornby could make more money / save costs by retailing triple packs ?  Especially if the individual wagons have different numbers ?

• Like 2

the triple wagon (and the coach packs too)  from Accura are incredible value and with high fidelity......yes Hornby and others should look at triple ir quad packs with different numbers.   they need to think of the more contempoary buyer/modeller.  i feel they are sometimes stuck in the 70s/80s yellow pages era where a little lad gets enough pocket money every week to save up and buy a solo wagon and be thrilled to plonk it on his payout. the worlds moved on.  I know Bachmann have done multi packs but i think they are largely for commissions? 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

"The main focus for many on a model railway layout is, of course, the locomotives. It could perhaps be understandable that the rolling stock behind most locomotives can often just be seen as something needed to complete the image of a train."

Mike.

She’s absolutely on the money with that comment though.

The Uk RTR buyer has pro rata historically bought far more locomotives than stock, so why wouldn’t a manufacturer, particularly a legacy one address that market? You only have to look at the legacy tooling in Hornby, Dapol, Bachmann, Walthers, Athearn, Farish etc etc ranges t see the customer is still happy buying generic stock.

1A02BA1F-325B-4ECB-AB04-C84AC009E316.png.8657ebaaa33ee6624a3ee8b0bbdf414c.png

The above isn’t untypical of a model railway from someone who enjoys the hobby, and good for them.  It’s not the type of layout or stock I’d build, but I bet there’s a hundred or more of this style layout to every one of mine, and I’m on Shelfie4 at the moment. 

It’s also underlined by the large numbers of MPD and excessive sized steam sheds you see on smaller station models. You get people recording locomotive numbers on railway stations, wagon and coach veg are far fewer in number. So it’s logical that manufacturers have fulfilled that market. It’s no different in other scales, and other model railway markets worldwide, the US for example. 

The newer agile entrants have (generally) gone for rolling stock first, and selling them in multiple packs makes perfect business sense. If you run 3,000 wagons you only have to sell to 1,000 customers to clear the warehouse, rather than find 3,000 customers for individual models. Those of us for whom the difference in detail and liveries are a smaller part of the market.

Image above from here

https://www.scarm.info/layouts/track_plans.php?gallery=196;2

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Words fail me, locomotives are only the main focus because companies such as Hornby primarily produce them over rolling stock, for every locomotive produced by Hornby they should be producing about 5 new coaches and 10 new wagons to an equal standard, their inference of a bias/preference is wholly self generated, then when they belatedly bring out a half decent wagon they trumpet it from the rooftops as though they are the great saviour of railway modelling.

Rant over.

Mike.

Sound business approach. 

Their market reputation is train sets for kids.  To that target market, the product is all about toy engines - and like clothing they come in different colours.  As for the rolling stock, the parents who have to buy this stuff go everywhere by car so one train looks much the same as another, though to be fair they probably have a vague awareness that are differences between steam/diesel/electric and loco/coach/wagon.

• RMweb Premium

Yair, I've never seen or bought any triple wagon packs from Hornby. 😬

Oh wait. 😉

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hornby+triple+wagon+packs&oq=Hornby+triple+wagon+packs&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160l3.4119j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by andythenorth
Sounded unreasonably grumpy, was intended to be funny, failed.
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

Looks like some may be based on my photos - although I wouldn't have been alone when taking these. Not aware of Hornby having been on the site for several years (since someone went to Accurascale!) The green BPO one has a mess of a TOPS identity PBD and you are asked to admire the finish - yes the rest is very nice.https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/bpo67xxxpickeringtta/e722cae4e

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

After reading The Engine Shed it appears the lamps are provided for modellers to fit themselves onto the lamp brackets. I presume this means they are non functioning.

It's a shame they didn't follow Accurascale and provide multi packs with one pack fitted with a working, magnet operated, flashing tail lamp.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Looks like some may be based on my photos - although I wouldn't have been alone when taking these. Not aware of Hornby having been on the site for several years (since someone went to Accurascale!) The green BPO one has a mess of a TOPS identity PBD and you are asked to admire the finish - yes the rest is very nice.https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/bpo67xxxpickeringtta/e722cae4e

Paul

Great stuff and Paul, I would be very flattered that so many manufacturers and modellers use your photos for reference, hopefully you get the credit where it’s due!

It’s easy to underplay the significance but a massive blow was dealt by the death of Fotopic in the early 2010s, thousands of early-digital and scanned wagon reference photos essential for ‘90s-‘00s modellers like myself disappeared overnight, and subsequently Wagons on the Web came down, countless stacks of photos were lost with only a small percentage having subsequently appeared on wagon Facebook groups and Flickr. Naively we probably all assumed they’d always stay online, how we learned that lesson - always save that image!

We’re indebted to photographers such as yourself, Martyn Read, Andy Jupe and others who’ve maintained resilient websites and photo collections on various online platforms that stood the test of time, and the growing band of Flickr & Smugmug users uploading pics from their archive collections, as time goes on I can imagine even more of your reference photos becoming 3D models, and long may it continue! 

Cheers,

James

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Sound business approach. 

Their market reputation is train sets for kids.  To that target market, the product is all about toy engines - and like clothing they come in different colours.  As for the rolling stock, the parents who have to buy this stuff go everywhere by car so one train looks much the same as another, though to be fair they probably have a vague awareness that are differences between steam/diesel/electric and loco/coach/wagon.

Let's face it, Hornby haven't got a clue what their market is or how to service it, they must be the only company to specially commission a downward facing Gatling gun to make sure they didn't miss their feet.

Mike.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Sound business approach. 

Thats my point though. The Train Set market will be happy running one of the old TTAs with a private owner coal wagon and a van. But these are finely detailed scale model TTAs. Sure, they'll be bought by the train set people, but they're more likely to stick to the cheaper existing ones, but most are surely going to be bought by those who run more realistic trains (or aspire to). They're going to want to buy them in larger quantities.

The current policy seems to deliberately restrict the number of potential sales. 

• Agree 5

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, birdseyecircus said:

Hornby have brought out triple packs of wagons in the past though I don't think they were numbered differently.

From memory when I did OO:

PGA

Rudd

MHA

To name a few.

Paul

The triple packs of HAAs were certainly numbered differently (but sequentially!!)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, birdseyecircus said:

Hornby have brought out triple packs of wagons in the past though I don't think they were numbered differently.

From memory when I did OO:

PGA

Rudd

MHA

To name a few.

Paul

From my Hornby collection I have:

MHA's as part of R6699 which included the Class 67 are numbered 394652/3/4

RMC PGA's are numbered PR14365/6/7

PCA (Grey) are numbered 9198/99/200 - I also have PCA (Blue Circle) numbered 9343/44/45/46/48 although I'm not sure if any were part of a triple pack or not

HAA (EWS) are numbered 352487/8/9

HEA (Loadhaul) are numbered 361878/79/80

Edited by Graham108
Added information
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham108 said:

Phew, close.

A slip of the keyboard finger no doubt.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/04/2023 at 10:45, Graham108 said:

From my Hornby collection I have:

MHA's as part of R6699 which included the Class 67 are numbered 394652/3/4

RMC PGA's are numbered PR14365/6/7

PCA (Grey) are numbered 9198/99/200 - I also have PCA (Blue Circle) numbered 9343/44/45/46/48 although I'm not sure if any were part of a triple pack or not

HAA (EWS) are numbered 352487/8/9

HEA (Loadhaul) are numbered 361878/79/80

What? They missed out 47?

Surely a mistake

• Funny 1