RRP £34.99

R60207 BR, TTA Tanker Wagon, Shell 67004 - Era 8

R60208 BR, TTA Tanker Wagon, Esso 56046 - Era 8

R60209 BR, TTA Tanker Wagon, BP 67765 - Era 8

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, RP82 said:

Do I spy a tail lamp on the ladder end?  Speaking of which I'm liking the different styles of ladder. 

Yes, the Esso central ladder is a nice variation and good for west coast of Scotland. Think they ran up to Mallaig in the 1980s/90s

Edited by black and decker boy
Auto-incorrect
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

This is probably the least glitzy but the single most useful and welcome new release for Hornby in a long, long time!

The amount of chassis upgrading that the existing Bachmann release requires to make it a respectable model makes this an instant no-brainer purchase, assuming it's done correctly. Factor in also the cost of replacement brass and whitemetal components, new ladders, mesh roof walkways and intricate fitting of various pipe runs and brake gear - hours of modelling time cut in a single swoosh, and instead plenty of time to spend on weathering and personalising!

Perhaps this could lead to some other wagon types to follow - POA, ZKA, MKA 'Limpets' and MTAs, you never know!

Cheers,

James

• Like 3
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Premium

Very glad to see this retool. Enjoyed the 'of course it will feature sprung buffers' - not sure that's a given... ...but glad it is. They are clearly now trying to step up to the 2023 mark. Pricing is fair too.

6 minutes ago, GordonC said:

I must admit I was thinking the TTA must have been appearing on Accurascales radar as one they could improve on - will need to wait and see whether Hornby can

Nothing to say it won't still.  They will undercut Hornby by some margin on longer rakes. 

£31.50 with retailer discount vs (£84.99 - 10% / 3 = £25.50 for Accurascale

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

We wish Hornby all the best with this announcement.

The vehicle was the second most-wanted item of Freight Stock: 1964-Current (just behind the UKF Pallet Van) in The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, James Makin said:

This is probably the least glitzy but the single most useful and welcome new release for Hornby in a long, long time!

The amount of chassis upgrading that the existing Bachmann release requires to make it a respectable model makes this an instant no-brainer purchase, assuming it's done correctly. Factor in also the cost of replacement brass and whitemetal components, new ladders, mesh roof walkways and intricate fitting of various pipe runs and brake gear - hours of modelling time cut in a single swoosh, and instead plenty of time to spend on weathering and personalising!

Perhaps this could lead to some other wagon types to follow - POA, ZKA, MKA 'Limpets' and MTAs, you never know!

Cheers,

James

Agree with that James. 

As a transition era modeller I will be observing whether earlier liveries are forthcoming, or whether I will need to fire up the airbrush.  Definitely one of the best announcements for 2023 I agree. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jonhall said:

interestingly the Hornby magazine photos also show both original and re-sprung versions, so hopefully both are on their way.

Jon

Yes according to Simon Kohler in his presentation they are aware some were 45t and others 35t and you can see the difference in the number of leaf springs 

I just hope they make enough my tier 1 retailer has been given an allocation and it's not huge only 3 of each livery. Not great if your wanting a block train🤔. He is hoping to increase it so I will have to wait and see if he can get 15 shell wagons.

1 hour ago, Legend said:

Yes according to Simon Kohler in his presentation they are aware some were 45t and others 35t and you can see the difference in the number of leaf springs 

Hmm, cobblers, anyway, since I was slightly worried that the Hornby mag photos showed the two sides of different wagons, I wasn't totally confident that it wasn't early leaf spring one side, and Bruninghaus (sp?) spring on the other, so I'd regard having both sides with the same spring as a result.

Jon

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, shunny said:

I just hope they make enough my tier 1 retailer has been given an allocation and it's not huge only 3 of each livery. Not great if your wanting a block train🤔. He is hoping to increase it so I will have to wait and see if he can get 15 shell wagons.

So it seems we're still in a situation where retailers can't buy as many Hornby products as they want?, are Hornby ever going to sort this out? This situation benefits no-one and is happening year after year.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, shunny said:

I just hope they make enough my tier 1 retailer has been given an allocation and it's not huge only 3 of each livery. Not great if your wanting a block train

Doh! That’s nuts when you’re talking coaches and wagons, they should be able to order boxes of them, even smaller shops are surely going to want 12-24 of such wagons. Is this because Hornby are keeping more stock for themselves again?!? 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

are Hornby ever going to sort this out? This situation benefits no-one and is happening year after year.

Probably not they’ll just direct you to their website and undermine the retailers again. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, shunny said:

Also. why are Hornby only doing 3 wagons? Why not make up triple packs of these (with different running numbers)? People are going to want to create block trains, not a single wagon attached to an ad hoc selection of wagons. Hornby still seem to think modellers are running pseudo steam age branch trains. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JohnR said:

Also. why are Hornby only doing 3 wagons? Why not make up triple packs of these (with different running numbers)? People are going to want to create block trains, not a single wagon attached to an ad hoc selection of wagons. Hornby still seem to think modellers are running pseudo steam age branch trains. 

Once Hornby, always Hornby.

I'm convinced there's a Young Mr Grace type character running Hornby from the boardroom who still thinks model railways are still only small ovals of track.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

Unless and until they get round to the similar 40T Esso LPG tanks that ran in block trains from Milford Haven to Westfield (Fife), I'll stick with the massed Bachmann fleet, shortcomings notwithstanding. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Do I see the later Bauhaus springs as fitted in the 80s?

Hope so. Bachmann haven’t modelled this with their TTA. 

The price is hmmm.

Although would have been better for accurascale to pick up the TTA or Cavalex, who at least would offer multi packs with different running numbers. Maybe one of these two innovative manufacturers will…

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Hallelujah! I’ve been banging on for at least 10 years to anyone who will listen how much this wagon needed a new release! I’ve finally got a legitimate reason not to finish my half completed A1 model / S kit modified wagons now ! 😂

• Like 1

I didn't see this when I looked on the Hornby website yesterday. 

A very good choice, IF (and its a big if) they get it right, especially the central end ladder version. 

Would have preferred Accurascale or Cavalex to have picked this up, for the individually numbered 3 packs and better availability from stockists. 

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, richierich said:

Do I see the later Bauhaus springs as fitted in the 80s?

Hope so. Bachmann haven’t modelled this with their TTA. 

The price is hmmm.

Although would have been better for accurascale to pick up the TTA or Cavalex, who at least would offer multi packs with different running numbers. Maybe one of these two innovative manufacturers will…

Nothing to say they wont still. There must be huge variety in liveries and details in TTAs that I'm just not sure Hornby would or could cover