RMweb

Hornby 2023 - Steam locomotives

AY Mod

• Moderators

New tooling - Streamlined B17/5

B17 1.jpg

See dedicated topic - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/176497-hornby-2023-new-tooling-streamlined-b175/

Sets/Train packs

Slide26.JPG

Slide29.JPG

Slide56.JPG

Slide57.JPG

Railroad range

Slide33.JPGSlide34.JPG

Railroad Plus range

Slide38.JPG

Big four centenary locomotives

Slide75.JPG

Slide76.JPG

Slide77.JPG

Slide78.JPG

Slide79.JPG

Flying Scotsman 100

Slide82.JPG

Slide83.JPG

Slide84.JPG

Slide85.JPG

Slide86.JPG

Slide87.JPG

'Great Gathering' 10th anniversary Hornby Dublo locomotives

Slide88.JPG

Slide90.JPG

Slide91.JPG

Slide92.JPG

Slide93.JPG

Slide94.JPG

Slide95.JPG

Main range steam locomotives

Slide64.JPG

Slide65.JPG

Slide66.JPG

Slide67.JPG

Slide68.JPG

Slide69.JPG

Slide70.JPG

Slide71.JPG

Slide72.JPG

Slide73.JPG

image.png

R30216  LNER, A3 Class, No.2573 'Harvester' (diecast footplate and flickering firebox) - Era 3

Hornby Collectors' Club loco

Slide149.JPG

Price corrections to those show on the slides.

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Ooh, 2 Castle Class locos!  Very nice.

Completely understand 100 year anniversary of the Big Four.  However, an anniversary set, to commemorate 10 years since an anniversary (great gathering)?  Have I got that right?

Seems a little silly if I am honest.  85th anniversary of Mallard too?  They make Mallard every year, just seems like they will add 'anniversary' to anything to stick a few extra quid on it.

Edited by GWR8700
  • Like 2
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

Just watching Hornby’s video on YouTube, Simon said it’s very much a catch-up year as the delays on previously announced models are as frustrating to them as to us. Very sensible in my opinion. Personally, I’m very much looking forward to the Tyne Dock class 9F. My Consett wagons have waited a long time lol. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Nice to see a variety of liveries in the centenary of Grouping.

However, for sake of honesty, I'll need to be a negative ninny about No. 65330 (having just completed the same livery pre BR lettering in the last 12 months).

Just taken from the side view, the following inaccuracies can be seen:

Lack of smokebox top lamp iron.  When No. 5330 changed identity to BR, an additional lamp iron was fitted to the smokebox door at the same time.  This meant, in the above livery, it carried the usual arrangement of 3 irons on the bufferbeam, 1 on the door and 1 on the smokebox top.

Safety valve mount.  The model is shown sporting the usual rounded safety valve mount bonnet, when No. 65330 had the rectangular version fitted which was common in the later days of LNER and throughout BR, more so on J37's.

Wheels.  This is the biggest issue of them all.  The photograph included in the Yeadon Register show all wheels to be painted green, matching body, but with only the rims lined out in black and white.  There was no axle end black with lining.  The artwork above shows completely black wheels which is inaccurate.

Lining is also missing at the centre splasher, it should be surrounding the edge of the worksplate.

I attach a copy of the repaint I carried out.  The specifications are exactly the same between the LNER (1947) version and British Railways (1948), apart from the obvious company lettering changes and the addition of the smokebox door lamp iron when the changeover to BR was made.

20220614_213110.jpg.e5db1176488127eaeedeeed717c9a431.jpg

Must also add, have just heard SK on the live stream claim that 65330 was unique because it was the only one of the class painted in green.  This is also incorrect.  No. 5211 was also repainted into this livery, my reasoning for choosing No. 5330 for the repaint above was because of the two, the latter was the only vacuum braked engine and so allows it to be seen on layouts hauling both passenger and goods rakes.

Edited by JonathonAG
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Should I be pre-ordering the Beatles train pack I wonder🤭 as well as that B17/5?😉

Thanks for getting up so early Andy. It was worth waiting up for but I should really be getting my head down now.

Regards Shaun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's nice to see them cranking out a few more Castles, the old ringfield ones being nasty, and hopefully it will push down the s/h price of 4073.  I'm not in the market for a £210 loco unless it's the unicorn (an SR W Class in black with sunshine lettering!).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

R30287 really surprises me, we've had plenty of decent industrials over the past 20 or so years from Hornby, yet they've been sat on this tooling for so long and only now have gone for a livery that isn't L&Y, LMS or BR. A good few were sold into Industry making for something a little different.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

A catch-up year as admitted by SK? Definitely, plus, I suspect, (some probably inevitable) knock-on effects from Hornby's diversion into TT:120.

Or, maybe remarkable foresight on Hornby's part in predicting the economic downturn? Big maybe!

I've already got a DP1 and there weren't two. In any event the Dublo stuff is always gone inside a week and isn't intended for we oiks who change couplings, weather things, and expose our models to electric currents anyway.😇

I rather like the Macaw; but unless there's something else tucked away that I haven't spotted, Hornby won't be getting very fat on my custom until the Black Fives arrive. Mind you, in the absence of other temptations, I can probably stretch to an extra one of those....

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10th Anniversary of the Great Gathering is cheeky but rather clever, I rather like it, and I think it will sell through - whereas I doubt it could in another ten years. 

So tempted by a new 8F, but it's not to the standard (we imagine) of the forthcoming retooled Black 5, so perhaps I'll gamble on it being a discounted product in 2025.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

40 minutes ago, GWR8700 said:

Ooh, 2 Castle Class locos!  Very nice.

Completely understand 100 year anniversary of the Big Four.  However, an anniversary set, to commemorate 10 years since an anniversary (great gathering)?  Have I got that right?

Seems a little silly if I am honest.  85th anniversary of Mallard too?  They make Mallard every year, just seems like they will add 'anniversary' to anything to stick a few extra quid on it.

Agree with you about the Great Gathering. Surely anyone wanting these locos would have obtained them already. Aiming these items at 'collectors' seems to run contrary to the prevailing economic climate. Still, I expect it provides a clue as to what we might see next year... an ' LNER streamliner collectors set' containing an A4, B17/5, P2/2, and a W1!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Tramshed said:

Agree with you about the Great Gathering. Surely anyone wanting these locos would have obtained them already. Aiming these items at 'collectors' seems to run contrary to the prevailing economic climate. Still, I expect it provides a clue as to what we might see next year... an ' LNER streamliner collectors set' containing an A4, B17/5, P2/2, and a W1!

Yeah, I completely understand it being a more limited range given what is happening right now.  I certainly won't be able to afford to spend much on the hobby this year.  Despite that, there's a few things I like in there. 

Since Simon Kohler returned the thinking every year seems to be lots of high end collectors models with anniversaries that people didn't even know were on, and lots of LNER locomotives.

Not really my thing but if it improves their financial situation then fair enough.

Edited by GWR8700
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Tramshed said:

Agree with you about the Great Gathering. Surely anyone wanting these locos would have obtained them already.

I expect Eisenhower and Canada will be the ones to hang about.

Mallard is Mallard so will sell (I have ordered one), the other 3 UK based ones (I have ordered 2 but might decide on only one), two have been on the mainline in the last few years as per the models, SNG should look similar to the model when it's repainted and will be out on the mainline so I see running interest as sold for 3 of the 6.

• RMweb Gold

The Great Gathering 10th is another clever move. Makes good use of the new Dublo A4 tool and attracts both the collectors  - for whom this is something different to the first plastic set of Ltd editions and modellers looking for an 'excuse' to get a Dublo model. Must admit I'm tempted by a BR green diecast A4.

I think Hornby Dublo is approaching 'critical mass' - its something unique and a means of justifying a higher price point and the range is now getting broad enough to draw in people like me who want something new and different for the layout. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, JonathonAG said:

Just taken from the side view, the following inaccuracies can be seen:

Wheels.  This is the biggest issue of them all.  The photograph included in the Yeadon Register show all wheels to be painted green, matching body, but with only the rims lined out in black and white.  There was no axle end black with lining.  The artwork above shows completely black wheels which is inaccurate.

Being interested in quirky BR stuff and having not seen this before I looked it up on Flickr and found this below image, they look black to me there although could that just be grime?

Link: 

J36 (scanned slide)

• Like 4