Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2023 - Steam locomotives

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ribird said:

In short, a thicker metal tyre, instead of half plastic and metal

And is this a good change or a bad change? I’m a western man so not hugely familiar with eastern details

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

And is this a good change or a bad change? I’m a western man so not hugely familiar with eastern details

Bad at first, as they look like Dapol steam wheels. And only did the loco wheels, the tender wheels were still the half half. The LNER green version of the modified tooling A1/A3 had missing lining, no black, just white on the wheels.

The maybe good thing is that the Dublo FS range has the full metal tyre fully painted and lined out. 

• Like 2

On 15/01/2023 at 03:52, Ribird said:

Bad at first, as they look like Dapol steam wheels. And only did the loco wheels, the tender wheels were still the half half. The LNER green version of the modified tooling A1/A3 had missing lining, no black, just white on the wheels.

The maybe good thing is that the Dublo FS range has the full metal tyre fully painted and lined out. 

Sorry, but you can't possibly know that the HD FS range has the metal tyres fully painted out, as to date we've only seen pre production and photo generated/shopped pictures.

The wheel sets have been confirmed by Hornby and others in the trade to be the upgrade as fitted to the 2022 Hornby A3.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello All,

Regards the two LNER liveried Gresley pacifics which are not Flying Scotsman (Nu) "Hornby Dublo" or A4s:-

R30270 - Class A1 No. 4478 "Hermit" - "Big 4 Celebration range" - List price £218.99 - ETA Q3/4 2023

R30216 - Class A3 No. 2573 "Harvester" - "Main Range" - List price £252.99 - ETA Q3/4 2023

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lner-class-a1-4-6-2-4478-hermit-big-four-centenary-collection-era-3-r30270?_br_psugg_q=r30270

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lner-a3-class-no2573-harvester-diecast-footplate-and-flickering-firebox-era-3-r30216

Is anybody aware of a specification difference between the models, aside that obviously the A1 has short travel valvegear and 180psi boiler vs. the A3 long travel valve gear and a 220psi boiler?

EDIT: and cab cut outs!

I am motivated to ask this as there is a price difference.

They both seem to have the same features (dicast running plate, fire LED, 21 pin DCC, 5 pole motor, tender, proper green livery etc) and I assume that they use the same chassis and body tooling accept a couple of tweaks for the A3's valve gear and super heater covers.

Many thanks!

Hornby LNER A1 No4478.jpg

Hornby LNER A3 No2573.jpg

Edited by palmsticks
detail detail
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, palmsticks said:

Hello All,

Regards the two LNER liveried Gresley pacifics which are not Flying Scotsman (Nu) "Hornby Dublo" or A4s:-

R30270 - Class A1 No. 4478 "Hermit" - "Big 4 Celebration range" - List price £218.99 - ETA Q3/4 2023

R30216 - Class A3 No. 2573 "Harvester" - "Main Range" - List price £252.99 - ETA Q3/4 2023

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lner-class-a1-4-6-2-4478-hermit-big-four-centenary-collection-era-3-r30270?_br_psugg_q=r30270

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lner-a3-class-no2573-harvester-diecast-footplate-and-flickering-firebox-era-3-r30216

Is anybody aware of a specification difference between the models, aside that obviously the A1 has short travel valvegear and 180psi boiler vs. the A3 long travel valve gear and a 220psi boiler?

EDIT: and cab cut outs!

I am motivated to ask this as there is a price difference.

They both seem to have the same features (dicast running plate, fire LED, 21 pin DCC, 5 pole motor, tender, proper green livery etc) and I assume that they use the same chassis and body tooling accept a couple of tweaks for the A3's valve gear and super heater covers.

Many thanks!

Hornby LNER A1 No4478.jpg

Hornby LNER A3 No2573.jpg

These new releases in the form of the above locos are simply a relivery of the updated 2022 A1 Doncaster and the A3 from 2022. https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/Hornby-r3990.html

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

These new releases in the form of the above locos are simply a relivery of the updated 2022 A1 Doncaster and the A3 from 2022. https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/Hornby-r3990.html

Yes, I am sure you correct, but are there any feature differences that explain the price difference? 

Edited by palmsticks

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, palmsticks said:

Yes, I am sure you correct, but are there any feature differences that explain the price difference? 

Perhaps the new “big four” one is responding to claims Hornby’s prices are too high. 

Edited by Hilux5972

15 minutes ago, palmsticks said:

Yes, having looked at the costing on both releases, the 2023 locos are markedly cheaper than those from the 2022 range.

TBH, Hornby do have a rather odd pricing strategy.

Different loco names/numbers, same product I would guess

Edited by Black 5 Bear

10 minutes ago, palmsticks said:

Not that I can see. All the newer ones have the diecast running boards due to them doing Eddie The Eagle impressions*.

Maybe it's something to do with it being part of the Big Four Collection as the Castle and the King Arthur are the same price, with the LMS tank being a bit less.

*Ski Jump!

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Yes, having looked at the costing on both releases, the 2023 locos are markedly cheaper than those from the 2022 range.

That’s why I reckon they are responding to criticism of high prices. Although that doesn’t explain the price of the new 8F haha

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Different loco names/numbers, same product I would guess

Apologies, I don't understand your answer.  "Yes" = there are feature differences? If so what?

Edited by palmsticks

9 hours ago, palmsticks said:

Apologies, I don't understand your answer.  "Yes" = there are feature differences? If so what?

Both 2023 locos are essentially the same product, save different names/numbers that were produced in 2022.

The same metal running plate, upgraded wheelset etc!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Both 2023 locos are essentially the same product

The only difference I can see is the complexity of the livery; occasionally the complexity of livery can account for a different price although...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, didn't see this last night!

20 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not that I can see.

I agree.

Not that I can see. All the newer ones have the diecast running boards due to them doing Eddie The Eagle impressions*.

*Ski Jump!

LOL. Although the joke might be on me - I've got two plastic ones and never noticed it!  Dare I check?! 😬

Maybe it's something to do with it being part of the Big Four Collection as the Castle and the King Arthur are the same price, with the LMS tank being a bit less.

Could be.  Further thoughts to follow.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Both 2023 locos are essentially the same product, save different names/numbers that were produced in 2022.

The same metal running plate, upgraded wheelset etc!

8 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

The only difference I can see is the complexity of the livery; occasionally the complexity of livery can account for a different price although...

I agree, certainly the info I've seen would suggest that they are basically the same. 

I just wondered if there was something that I had missed which was published elsewhere on one of the many, many social media  / retailer outlets, some wizzy thing that could explain the difference:- Vapour generator, triple tone simultaneous syncopated exhaust chuff sounds, dilithium crystal energiser, flux capacitor, chameleon circuit or similar.  I didn’t want to ask Hornby in case their pricing was wrong and they put it up on the offending A1! 

Unless any other information comes to light, the price difference is just one of life’s many curiosities!

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, palmsticks said:

I agree, certainly the info I've seen would suggest that they are basically the same. 

I just wondered if there was something that I had missed which was published elsewhere on one of the many, many social media  / retailer outlets, some wizzy thing that could explain the difference:- Vapour generator, triple tone simultaneous syncopated exhaust chuff sounds, dilithium crystal energiser, flux capacitor, chameleon circuit or similar.  I didn’t want to ask Hornby in case their pricing was wrong and they put it up on the offending A1! 

Unless any other information comes to light, the price difference is just one of life’s many curiosities!

Maybe a pre-order on the A1 at RRP with Hornby is in order?

In my experience, they do honour pre orders and you would therefore lock it in at the current price point.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Did I miss an engine? Watched the Hornby show on the TV, at the end it states what’s happening next time on the show. Showing what believe is a SR B4 class 0-4-0t. 

18291F1B-DA5B-4D90-84FF-8E5FF74F3A5F.jpeg

Edited by farren
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, farren said:

Did I miss an engine? Watched the Hornby show on the TV, at the end it states what’s happening next time on the show. Showing what believe is a SR B4 class 0-4-0t. 

18291F1B-DA5B-4D90-84FF-8E5FF74F3A5F.jpeg

If that's being done as an addition to the Smokey Joe family, there won't have been much point in scanning the prototype, it'll have to be made to fit over the standard chassis! 😆

John

• Like 3

On 17/01/2023 at 09:29, Black 5 Bear said:

Sorry, but you can't possibly know that the HD FS range has the metal tyres fully painted out, as to date we've only seen pre production and photo generated/shopped pictures.

The wheel sets have been confirmed by Hornby and others in the trade to be the upgrade as fitted to the 2022 Hornby A3.

You are absolutely correct, we’ve only seen production samples of the FS Dublo range. That was me assuming they would do that, which we don’t know. (My bad for assuming)

But we also don’t know if this is true for everything else. We’ve only seen samples of the Dublo SNG. And old?? model shots for the GG Dublo range? What Hornby says and does are two different things.