Sandside (FR) - an exercise in modelling rather complex buildings

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

It really was, and such a shame it was demolished and replaced first with a garage and then a block of flats which admittedly have stunning views over the Kent Estuary, but the back of them is continuously coated in lime dust from the quarry.

One of my claims to 'fame' is that as a kid, I watched one of my neighbours demolish the signal box (he worked for the quarry).

Untitled.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Very interesting, especially the photos as I go through Sandside regularly driving the bus.  I’ll have to get that book. Good luck with the project.

I’ll try and remember to get you the details when I get home.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Given your previous form, first with Bacup, and then The Mill, plus your personal interest in the prototype, this should be spectacular.

That could be my downfall with this one, as I really want to get it right and I am my own worst critic.

There is a cop out for the signal box as Bachmann did the very similar one at Arnside, two miles down the line (and very much still in use) as a RTP building a few years ago, but you already know that I won’t be using it and will build my own.

as can be seen below, Arnside box is larger and has stone steps; Sandside was taller, had wooden steps and Alex smashed it with his digger :D

B8EEF8DD-939D-42CE-9E2B-516E23B9E1C4.jpeg

4C17792E-013F-423D-B96A-A182D5A25446.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jason T said:

There is a cop out for the signal box as Bachmann did the very similar one at Arnside, two miles down the line (and very much still in use) as a RTP building a few years ago, but you already know that I won’t be using it and will build my own.

as can be seen below, Arnside box is larger and has stone steps; Sandside was taller, had wooden steps and Alex smashed it with his digger :D

As a timesaving cop out, you could initially use the rtp box to allow you to concentrate on other buildings?

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

As a timesaving cop out, you could initially use the rtp box to allow you to concentrate on other buildings?

Mike.

It would annoy me Mike, plus I think I prefer the journey over the destination, if that makes sense

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 minutes ago, Jason T said:

It would annoy me Mike, plus I think I prefer the journey over the destination, if that makes sense

It does indeed. I could have used RTP or kits for my layout as the line was proposed but never built.

I wanted to give the place its own identity, that was of an independent line baled out at two minutes to midnight by the Great Western, so kits became a source of materials for some of the buildings, rather than the finished result. I like making things, so I would have felt like I was cheating to do otherwise.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Just found this via the Gill Head thread, I'll be following with interest as we regularly travel through the area on our bikes and have tried walking some of the remains of the line.

I’ve walked most of the route over the years, including the mess of brambles and rubble between Marsh Lane and Heversham Station (could the rubble be the remains of the viaduct?).

When I was a kid, you could walk from where the footbridge was next to the Ship all the way to Arnside; I think they filled Friar Coates bridge in back in the late 80’s (not long after a truck or bus hit it for the thousandth time). That wasn’t long after they tarted up the embankment from track bed to what it is now; way more interesting beforehand!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Tenuous link here but I filmed a ride I did around Storth, Sandside and Arnside a while ago. Not really railway related other than riding down the steps of the footbridge at Arnside and then doing a wheelie on the old trackbed :D

I think about 10% of the trails ridden are ‘legal’ :)

A trip down Memory Lane - The South Cumbria trails I first rode bikes on
https://youtu.be/we5pTyXG5XU

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So the astute amongst you may have noticed that I messed up the upstairs windows on the station master’s house section; they stand proud of the roofline.

There wasn’t a cat in hell’s chance that I could live with that so the walls have been reduced by 2mm around the windows.

3452546B-8C3F-45CB-9CE5-CC58E960A775.jpeg

F90DFDD1-EA62-44B0-A36C-2ADA158C53D5.jpeg

D878835D-0967-4F88-B761-DEFFC1CC95C5.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I also try and build structures as modular as possible, to add strength, rigidity and ease construction later on (I never bother with interior detail). This resulted in me also having to reduce the central unit for the station masters house by 2mm, not easy but done with no pain.

Also below are photos of the porters office and yard surface, as well as some of the main structural parts leaned together to hopefully show how it will all slot together (the yard floor slots under the chimney stack for the station masters house, for instance)

30A70591-E287-4C3A-AEDE-F088D715D88B.jpeg

9F7D7D0E-96D0-4836-A56B-646DB62AA9A7.jpeg

FEADA3A0-173B-4CE4-8C0A-E7AC3CDDE78B.jpeg

3DA7E8EC-905F-4E0C-9308-B1B1E376CFAA.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

And finally for tonight, what I am working from (ends and signal box plans are on the next page)

Also, the roadside view; the limestone construction is vexing me as I can’t find the perfect representation yet (Scalescenes is not an option as I like a bit of relief to my surfaces, plus will make all quoins, etc. from Plastikard so that I can hide the edges (lots of filing, filler and scribing in the future). I think it pays off; I managed to just about hide the edges on the loading shed on The Mill

0F3AF3C4-B5D9-4A47-9511-D316F47CDAA5.jpeg

641912AF-F93C-4C25-8ABD-096B4B863AB2.jpeg

71F328CD-6B2C-4D70-89A1-76614F9B3A62.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, ColinK said:

Very interesting, especially the photos as I go through Sandside regularly driving the bus.  I’ll have to get that book. Good luck with the project.

Here’s the book Colin. Published by the Cumbrian Railways Association, ISBN number is ISBN 978-0-9570387-8-3

Hope that helps 

0F2D79F5-6E9D-4920-BCB5-65A8652A1744.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Jason T said:

the limestone construction is vexing me as I can’t find the perfect representation yet

Wills coarse stone (SSMP200) seems a fair match, but sadly as you know they are very thick, small sheets so it would be both expensive and a pain to do the whole building.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Wills coarse stone (SSMP200) seems a fair match, but sadly as you know they are very thick, small sheets so it would be both expensive and a pain to do the whole building.

Al.

It’s a bit too random too, Al. Not that it would be an issue here but for the corners on the retaining wall on The Mill, some of the stones were far too small for an edge/corner, so I ended up filing them  right back and making new, more suitable ones out of plastic putty. It took ages but was worth it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

I've tried that approach myself Mike but the result jarred and I ended up building it anyway. Jason I suspect would be similarly afflicted and would rather enjoy the build than the shortcut.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1