Small Metro builds 2023

longchap

You're right, 1485 was a 517 class with the semi enclosed cab and the large curve backed bunker, one of the last to be built with the long 15'6 wheelbase (7'4"+8'2") and lasted in service until 1936. It's one I considered building until I was sent a good photograph of 530.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, 1466 said:

That looks like an 0-4-2 possibly 517 class to me .

9 hours ago, jamieb said:

Thanks Andy 

She wasn't at Abbotsbury by the looks of it,that pic is a 517!

Yes, No. 1440, the caption is wrong.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Mine cost me £65.

What's the white box for? All mine was in the one red box.

The label on the white box says it's the chassis, although mine, with the chassis, also came in the red box. Perhaps ths kit is an earlier one with an old white metal chassis?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, longchap said:

The label on the white box says it's the chassis, although mine, with the chassis, also came in the red box. Perhaps ths kit is an earlier one with an old white metal chassis?

If you zoom into the first photo, it says its the etched chassis.

Btw: I looked the other day on my eBay account to see how much I paid... eBay only keeps 2 years of trading - so I cant see.

At the same time as buying the Metro tank, I bought a kit built 57xx and 2251 0-6-0... neither have been worked on yet. Oh! and a Toad brake van. 

I am thinking about getting rid of the 57xx and 2251, but still fancy having a go at upgrading the Toad brake van.

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Btw: I looked the other day on my eBay account to see how much I paid.

Mine was retail at Warley 2019.

WM Collectables

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, melmerby said:

Mine cost me £65.

What's the white box for? All mine was in the one red box.

Melmerby

Usually the white boxes are for the chassis or the tender castings where these are sold separately. The red boxes are much larger and house the full kit, if its not an early Wills kit it will house the completed model

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

8 days to go, I wonder how much it will fetch...

As these kits are not as common as many other types and a ned kit is about £90 I would assume it may be worth a bit more, but eBay prices are a bit depressed who knows.

I have thought about why the chassis is separate and as the seller describes it as " A Wills, SE Finecast   " it might have been bought at a time when the ownership of the range was changing from Wills Finecast to Southeastern Finecast and the chassis were whitemetal and sold separately, so the etched chassis was bought at a later date

I have a kit which has Wills Finecast on its sides, bur a more modern label on top with a coloured photo and Southeastern Finecast on it

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

International co-operation at its best!

With thanks to Bill @longchap in France, together with the French and Spanish postal couriers, I should be taking delivery tomorrow of my Metro chassis and wheels.

Squires (the new owners of SE Finecast) attended a model railway exhibition in Eastleigh two weeks ago. Bill just happened to be sailing over to the UK to the show and collected my order for me. Plus managed to get hold of a copy of Iain Rice's book, all of which is currently crossing the border.

Thanks Bill, 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Earlier in the post I mentioned that I had purchased wheels for my Metro with between the spokes crankpins. Others commented that they had only seen on the spoke ones in photos.

I've been looking at various photos & drawings and there seems to be no rhyme nor reason for which locos had those and which had on spoke crankpins.

J.N Maskelyne has also produced drawings with both variations depicted.

Looks like I'll have to try and find a match for my combination of wheels and body.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

International co-operation at its best!

With thanks to Bill @longchap in France, together with the French and Spanish postal couriers, I should be taking delivery tomorrow of my Metro chassis and wheels.

Squires (the new owners of SE Finecast) attended a model railway exhibition in Eastleigh two weeks ago. Bill just happened to be sailing over to the UK to the show and collected my order for me. Plus managed to get hold of a copy of Iain Rice's book, all of which is currently crossing the border.

Thanks Bill, 

As I was going to be visiting Squires at the exhibition to buy some supplies, it seemed the obvious solution to avoid the Boris Brexit Tax, which has the unfortunate effect of often doubling the original price of goods by the time you get them. We expats have now to use various work rounds to avoid further personal fallout of Brexit.

Don't forget Neal @Neal Ball, that due to the different sizes, there are two packages to look out for tomorrow.

Happy hunting !

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

There are now 28 people watching….

Anyone here? Who is going to bid? 

I'm watching out of interest but as usual with eBay, if I was intending to bid I wouldn't hold out much hope of winning, because there will already be people with their auto-bid machines set up to bid high within the last 5 seconds of the auction...

😞

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I'm watching out of interest but as usual with eBay, if I was intending to bid I wouldn't hold out much hope of winning, because there will already be people with their auto-bid machines set up to bid high within the last 5 seconds of the auction...

😞

I am also one of the 28 'out of interest' watchers. As the kit and chassis are available through Squires and the retail price is public knowledge, any ebay purchase would logically be less than the new price from Squires. Ebay madness however is ever likely to expose its ignorant head, as we have seen many times, so it could well go for silly money.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It's rare but the quality of build does not look particularly good.

Its the other kit I have that I will be taking to Missenden. I asked @t-b-g about the build and he too thought it rather poor. This is a rather better attempt from the Southampton show:

20230128_121509.jpg.392e7a0750a77921a961e0bd1f07dca7.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

"Here we have a KIT BUILT GWR DEAN 0-4-4T LOCO No 34 in GWR Green Livery. OO Gauge.

The loco has been built to a very good standard. Working model.

No original box."

The listing suggests that someone paid £530.00 for this "very good standard loco", which has no rivet detail and crappy paint seemingly applied with a spatula.

I can't see it.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, longchap said:

"Here we have a KIT BUILT GWR DEAN 0-4-4T LOCO No 34 in GWR Green Livery. OO Gauge.

The loco has been built to a very good standard. Working model.

No original box."

The listing suggests that someone paid £530.00 for this "very good standard loco", which has no rivet detail and crappy paint seemingly applied with a spatula.

I can't see it.

On the positive side it means that even after I have bodged my metro it may not be the ugliest thing out there!

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2