Peco TT:120 7 Plank Open Wagons

Ravenser

The Feb 2023 Railway Modeller carries a half page advertisement for Peco's forthcoming 7 plank wooden mineral wagon in TT:120, at the top of page 70a

These have wooden solebars and are quoted as 9' wheelbase with spoked wheels and NEM355 pockets. They are initially available in GW grey, LNER grey, SR brown , and LMS grey, as well as BR grey with PO number

All three greys appear much of a muchness in the advert pictures. I have a feeling GW grey was a rather darker shade. I think they are authentic for both the LNER , which owned some 7 plk minerals , and the LMS who inherited quite a few from the MR. I believe they aren't strictly authentic for the SR , which used 8 plank wagons that doubled as general merchandise opens , and I dunno about the GW , though I think the GWR invested heavily in the 20T steel "Felix Pole" minerals

They are also shown in yellow PO liveries for Coleman's Mustard and Cadbury Bourneville . We are told "More Liveries Coming Soon!"

They look quite nice setailed and authentic in the pictures. But wooden PO minerals is a huge subject and I don't pretend to be expert in any of the details.

A few pages earlier another advert shows that Peco have added a platform shelter and a wooden gangers hut to the TT:120 building kit range. GW lower quadrant home and distant signals are also now shown in the advert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

24 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

The Feb 2023 Railway Modeller carries a half page advertisement for Peco's forthcoming 7 plank wooden mineral wagon in TT:120, at the top of page 70a

These have wooden solebars and are quoted as 9' wheelbase with spoked wheels and NEM355 pockets. They are initially available in GW grey, LNER grey, SR brown , and LMS grey, as well as BR grey with PO number

All three greys appear much of a muchness in the advert pictures. I have a feeling GW grey was a rather darker shade. I think they are authentic for both the LNER , which owned some 7 plk minerals , and the LMS who inherited quite a few from the MR. I believe they aren't strictly authentic for the SR , which used 8 plank wagons that doubled as general merchandise opens , and I dunno about the GW , though I think the GWR invested heavily in the 20T steel "Felix Pole" minerals

They are also shown in yellow PO liveries for Coleman's Mustard and Cadbury Bourneville . We are told "More Liveries Coming Soon!"

They look quite nice setailed and authentic in the pictures. But wooden PO minerals is a huge subject and I don't pretend to be expert in any of the details.

A few pages earlier another advert shows that Peco have added a platform shelter and a wooden gangers hut to the TT:120 building kit range. GW lower quadrant home and distant signals are also now shown in the advert

I'm certainly interested in getting some but it is frustrating that they don't seem to be on the Peco website 😕. My local model shop is interested too!

Luke

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, luke_stevens said:

I'm certainly interested in getting some but it is frustrating that they don't seem to be on the Peco website 😕. My local model shop is interested too!

Luke

A bit like Antics, who for months have been advertising lots of Peco TT:120 stuff as "in development" (the medium radius points, platform shelter, platelayer's hut, signals, the 7-plank wagon although only one version at the moment), yet none of which is on Peco's website.

At least it shows they're keen to stock it, I guess!

It is at the bottom of this link: https://anticsonline.uk/Category/Peco-TT120-Range_N2454

Edited by Porfuera

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BRTrainz said:

Do the wheels appear to be metal (as is pretty much standard in TT) or plastic (like Peco's N wagons)?

Hi there.  From what I’ve seen*, the advert in Railway Modeller says “metal tyred spoked wheels.”  The photos seem to show metal wheels, but note there is a disclaimer noting that they are “pre-production samples shown with disc wheels.”

No indication of price or availability yet but they look very good to me.  Hope that helps, Keith.

(* I don’t buy RM, but have seen a photo of the advert shared for information in a TT:120 Facebook group)

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Hi there.  From what I’ve seen*, the advert in Railway Modeller says “metal tyred spoked wheels.”  The photos seem to show metal wheels, but note there is a disclaimer noting that they are “pre-production samples shown with disc wheels.”

No indication of price or availability yet but they look very good to me.  Hope that helps, Keith.

(* I don’t buy RM, but have seen a photo of the advert shared for information in a TT:120 Facebook group)

Thanks.

Now to wait for Hattons to put them up for pre-order....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/01/2023 at 17:12, britishcolumbian said:

I gather these 7 plank opens in BR days would be appropriate for sugar beets?

Wagons of this general type amongst others.

A bit of info here:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks that way.  I guess they will be with us soon.  According to Peco customer service they were being released late September.  Who knows?  Maybe they decided to wait and cash in on the Hornby anniversary publicity on the 10th October?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

My local model shop enquired on Monday and reported back to me- they are at Peco's warehouse but can't be shipped out until the price has been decided.  As a result the shop can't put in my pre-order.

Les

I imagine something like a papal conclave in deepest Devon.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Even though I was born 7 years after decimalisation, it's not lost on me that these are being priced at £17.06......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

Even though I was born 7 years after decimalisation, it's not lost on me that these are being priced at £17.06......

Not sure I understand your comment but just received an email from Hattons  confirming eight versions at £17.06........

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

Not sure I understand your comment but just received an email from Hattons  confirming eight versions at £17.06........

Possibly my imagination, but something in my mind thinks that the original TT Peco wagon kits were 17/6 in pre-decimalisation money.... but it's probably just my mind playing tricks.... just seems an oddly specific price point though to not be a coincidence if I am remembering rightly....

• Like 1