Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Loriot - new tooling

rovex

• 2 months later...

Picked one up vastly reduced from Arcade. I'm just making a start on weathering it as it is the most hideous of sheens out of the box. It's couplings are also bizarre as they swing so far on the horizontal plane from a non centering point that it makes the kadees almost unusable. 

Whilst the cast finish certainly adds some weight I'm not sure it helps in the detail though.

Quite an unusual looking thing though. What would be a normal load?

PXL_20230503_084031823.jpg.de914bbf9d0680d0a43ff8c960e15dd9.jpg

PXL_20230502_092455686.jpg.19ac4b5f97da3d8af735b2453994dd24.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/05/2023 at 09:52, Ighten said:

Picked one up vastly reduced from Arcade. I'm just making a start on weathering it as it is the most hideous of sheens out of the box. It's couplings are also bizarre as they swing so far on the horizontal plane from a non centering point that it makes the kadees almost unusable. 

Whilst the cast finish certainly adds some weight I'm not sure it helps in the detail though.

Quite an unusual looking thing though. What would be a normal load?

PXL_20230503_084031823.jpg.de914bbf9d0680d0a43ff8c960e15dd9.jpg

PXL_20230502_092455686.jpg.19ac4b5f97da3d8af735b2453994dd24.jpg

41989 and 41990 were built for primarily carrying engineering excavators. These days 41990 still does carry the occasional vehicle besides sleepers from time to time. 

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 03/05/2023 at 09:52, Ighten said:

It's couplings are also bizarre as they swing so far on the horizontal plane from a non centering point that it makes the kadees almost unusable. 

Why not fit a centering spring?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

A drott was a typical load….

Drott loader

2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Alongside the 'Hymac' 360-degree tracked excavator; built not many miles away from Radyr.

But not during the GWR era when RB were the typical excavators

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I was recently drooling over this kit for such a load from Millicast.

https://www.milicast.com/en/ruston-bucyrus-19-rb-crawler-excavator.html

I wonder if that would obe too far out-of-gauge?

These two Loriots strike me as an idea which might have been overtaken by events or by a better design - very odd to buld just two vehicles for smething.  As far as I know traxcavators didn't really appear on the Western until the advent of TRMs (Track Relaying Machines - those twin jib cranes) which greatly increased the speed of relaying plain line which in turn meant that spent ballast needed to be removed more rapidly than by men with shovels,  And they only lasted in any numbers until autimated ballast cleaners came along which worked even more quickly.   Various Loriots were reassigned to teh Civil\s fleet and might have had some minor mods to ease loading and unloading as the machines were driven off the wagon under their pwn power

The heyday of the traxies was when cwr and deep ballasting began to appear on the main lines and it was found, quite early on, that the formation in many places first needed deep digging and blanketing before deep ballasting was applied.

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder if that would be too far out-of-gauge.

Definitely not!

I built a similar combination using the Cambrian wagon kit and the Corgi excavator model - though I modified the latter to represent a slightly later version of the face shovel;

What was very striking was that the a drawing of the wagon / excavator pair, when placed within the railway loading gauge, was an exact fit. In fact, I would go so far as to suggest that the PENGUIN wagons were specifically designed in order to transport that model of the RB face shovel.

I can't think that BR had many tracked excavators at that time, so a pair of dedicated Departmental Civil Engineers' wagons makes eminent sense, though I wonder whether the narrower deck of the Hornby / Accurascale models was intended for Drott or other similar tracked bulldozers / loaders.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

Tbh though I am puzzled as the GWR examples are not showing as available yet on the Hornby website.

They are along with quite a few retailers although not mine yet. The cynical me might suggest the timing of these corresponds with the Rapido release due.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

They are along with quite a few retailers although not mine yet. The cynical me might suggest the timing of these corresponds with the Rapido release due.

I'm happy to wait for Rapido's offering. Rapido's are going to be worth the wait... :)

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Garethp8873 said:

I'm happy to wait for Rapido's offering. Rapido's are going to be worth the wait... :)

Implying, of course, the Hornby one's aren't? I've not personally seen one yet (of either come to think about it) what do you prefer about the Rapido one?

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, HExpressD said:

what do you prefer about the Rapido one?

It doesn't have two self tapping screws on the underside.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

The underside of the Hornby model is very basic, I suspect due to it being a complete cast metal.  Don't really know why they took that route it seems to show less detail imo

• Agree 3

14 hours ago, Ighten said:

The underside of the Hornby model is very basic, I suspect due to it being a complete cast metal.  Don't really know why they took that route it seems to show less detail imo

As you will not see the underside when running on a layout, does it really matter? I build a lot of my own models, if you cannot see it- don't fit it. I would not waste time put in fittings and fixtures that you will never see.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/07/2023 at 18:53, HExpressD said:

what do you prefer about the Rapido one?

Rapido’s GWR models have the ‘When possible this vehicle must be marshalled in the rear of the train & GREAT CARE TAKEN IN SHUNTING.’ wording on the inner ends of the end sections; and on all versions the tie down points are separately fitted parts. 

Comparing Hornby’s and Rapido’s versions, Rapido - to my mind at least - do seem to have a finesse that lift them over Hornby’s model. 

John

• RMweb Premium
On 10/05/2023 at 20:21, Phil Bullock said:

A drott was a typical load….

Drott loader

Those Drott excavators bring back memories from the days before JCB captured the market!  I’d love to see the Drott excavator become available rtr, because, with all due apologies to Langley, £62 seems an awful lot for a relatively small model.  They make great loads on an appropriate wagon.

John

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, it's-er said:

Those Drott excavators bring back memories from the days before JCB captured the market!  I’d love to see the Drott excavator become available rtr, because, with all due apologies to Langley, £62 seems an awful lot for a relatively small model.  They make great loads on an appropriate wagon.

John

Yes agreed that is OTT price wise! Would also like to see Michigan and Chaseside loaders as I got to drive them Both in my (very early!) youth…

• Like 1
  • Agree 1