Blacker Lane D.P.

• RMweb Premium

BTW ... I was in 2ktechnologies model shop today, Hipperholme .... there's another 7 of the orange 'Hoveringham' lorries in there just waiting for redeployment to Hargreaves !! LoL.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 09/02/2024 at 19:20, Ruston said:

Thanks for the photo and info, Ian. It's all very helpful.

Flickr photos, by The KDH Archive. Not British Oak, and probably larger boats than the West Country types. On the Aire & Calder at Primrose Hill colliery.

70 043 270270 Primrose Hill Colliery

Quite a bit bigger.  IIRC, built to the same basic design as Topsy :

https://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/2823/topsy

85' by 17'

The Cawoods barges supplied Skelton Grange Power Station (SE corner of Leeds).  When Skelton Grange closed, they were loaded onto a ship and sent off to work somewhere in Africa.

Adrian

• Informative/Useful 3

5 minutes ago, Ruston said:

a brass kit for an MOT 21-ton hopper

Do you know the origins of this kit? This is a prototype I'd be keen to model in 7mm scale, but they have a lot of subtle differences from the normal LNER hoppers.

Cheers,

Mol

7 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Do you know the origins of this kit? This is a prototype I'd be keen to model in 7mm scale, but they have a lot of subtle differences from the normal LNER hoppers.

Cheers,

Mol

Dave Bradwell, IIRC.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I take it you have some Judith Edge etches to make the 21T hoppers a bit better?

And, in Leeds there is a bar opposite what was the Poly main building which is a complete barge? It's a bar but it has impressive Hull shapes..

Baz

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

I take it you have some Judith Edge etches to make the 21T hoppers a bit better?

And, in Leeds there is a bar opposite what was the Poly main building which is a complete barge? It's a bar but it has impressive Hull shapes..

Baz

I've seen that, yes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.8043352,-1.5480045,3a,75y,79.74h,91.08t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1spDYfZoPYzFsBSd5SvmbiHg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DpDYfZoPYzFsBSd5SvmbiHg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D97.8752%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

I don't know anything about the etches. They're not on the JE UK model shops page.

• RMweb Premium

Mike has oodles of them.. he generally sells them at shows.. very handy! Give him a call.

And yes.. thats the dry Dock..  .one helluva high tide!!!

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/02/2024 at 19:24, Ruston said:

Wow! That's going back some time! 2005/6?

I didn't accomplish all that I wanted to this weekend but the majority of the work on the staithe is now done.

20240218_182656.jpg.855b53df9f93b44ad3e4381f65d943b9.jpg

It is fixed in place but there are some gaps around it that need to be filled and part of the sleeper retaining wall needs to be rebuilt at the front.

20240218_182447.jpg.49fe5e570bcf3514c96909723669ccdd.jpg

The hopper is a Parkside kit that I have been building on and off for months and I finished it today. It would have been complete with NCB lettering but the transfers that I used for the RCH internal users have gone AWOL. I've looked all over the shed for them and I just know that as soon as I order some replacements they'll turn up in a drawer or something! No progress has been made with the barge.

I've got some Hornby LNER 21-ton hoppers that I bought second hand, if I can find them, and have a brass kit for an MOT 21-ton hopper that I got from @Mark Saunders that I was about to start when I noticed that the destructions say that it's for EM/P4 only and that major surgery is required to the body to allow it to be built to OO, so that one won't be built now. If I'm going to spend a lot of time and hassle on a wagon it would be one of those Liverpool Corporation types (see pics of British Oak hoppers that have a large control wheel on the side for the hopper doors) but that would have to be a scratch build. I'll stick to LNER hoppers for the forseeable.

I think the British Oak-inspired staithe is a definite improvement over the fictional tipper house.

I think so too and what you've done is to mirror history because the steel drop staithe replaced a wooden tippler staithe.

Interesting to read about the hoppers because my 2mm model of British Oak uses a quartet of finescaled Dapol 21T hoppers.  I'm planning to replace them with four made from etched brass kits so each one is subtly different.

Here's my "unloading" method.  The coal load is shaped black foam in which a steel pin is hidden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbKjQ01z-I

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Only came across this topic yesterday and really enjoyed reading through its progress. I’ve read through several of your layout builds @Ruston and I think this one is possibly the best yet - it’s certainly the one that hits closest to home (although I’m a touch too young to properly remember the collieries round Yorkshire actually working).

I do remember cycling along the route of the Leeds, Castleford & Pontefract Junction Railway during the summer holidays of ‘92/‘93 and getting to where there were still railway tracks - somewhere south of Kippax and most likely Bowers Halt where the line ran to St. Aidans Opencast.

On 11/09/2023 at 15:50, Ruston said:

DSCF0245.JPG.1fcd6d17b9f116d6c26b442e8fb56b8a.JPG

For some reason, I really like this shot: the line of decrepit wrecks awaiting attention, the wonky shed, the 4F and brake drifting back to the mainline…

I don’t know, it just works.

Edited by Tortuga
Clarity
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2