What N gauge do you want to see from Accurascale?

I think we all need to consider the size of the N market compared to OO.

Probably around 1/5 the size so care needs to be taken when imagining quite what Accurascale might introduce, in what volumes and what number of variations.

Whilst the market in OO might stand many livery variations in one go on a Deltic and lots of livery/front end/vent positions on a class 37, such variety in large volumes in one go are unlikely to happen as the market will not be able to absorb it.

Taking a car headlight - in OO it is going to be fine, in N it is going to be very fragile indeed.

Expectations need to be managed and we don't want N gauge models so fragile we cannot use them for fear of handling them.

That said, the fact Accurascale are actively asking the question what we would buy is a welcome development in itself and indicative that something is in the offing.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, jonas said:

I know and I’ve done it! But I’d rather not have to. There are many other things wrong with the Farish 37, and untapped potential in the DRS mods, slugs, car headlight versions - just off the top of my head. Plus endless livery variations!

Stood next to the 31 and 40 from the same stable  you can tell there is a decade’s difference IMO.

I quite agree, while the Farish 37 scrubs up well with work it is that step behind the 31. Not had a 40 to compare it to. 

Producing variants not covered by the Farish tooling may offer a gentle step into the water.

One thing with "classic" locos with the circular fan grill (and I'm fully aware this may just be me...) but etches in N are seldom fine enough to carry this put convincingly. Brian at Shawplan has done some lovely aftermarket ones, but those on RTR models in N have never looked fine enough to be convincing.

We seemed to go through a period where "etched grills" were a feature fitted whether the etch looked more realistic or less, rather than choosing to use the best tool for the job to replicated that particular feature.

When Farish released the 31, it had an etched roof grill, but once they did the refurbished body style, this was changed to a moulded grill, that once given a black wash looks sublime. The Rapido Co-Bo has quite a chunky mesh too. Now if a chunky mesh is fitted, at least the hole makes it easier to fit one from Shawplan, but I'd rather have one less step to getting the loco layout ready.

Like i said, it may be just me, but in my opinion in N scale there's a lot to be said for well tooled moulded roof fan grills that will take a wash.

Jo

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

In my humble opnion the biggest gap in the N Gauge Market at the moment is AC Electrics, i.e. 81 - 85, Dapols 86 is acceptable and Farish haven't produced the 87 for donkeys years. Bachmann did say, a few years ago, they'd reduce their OO catalogue to N however that seems to have been chucked out the window.

Regards

Neal.

23 hours ago, Steven B said:

I'd rather see something new than something duplicated. Yes there are issues with the class 37 and 50 but not enough to make me want to run out and replace my existing models.

This is my issue exactly. Yes the Farish 37 and Dapol 50 could b bettered but I have 14 37's and 7 50's so replacing them is not going to be viable just now. Plus takin on Farish is a amble see the OO 37 that came out from Bachmann recently, you need to go down roads they more than likely won't tread.

We can all wishlist here and suggest stuff that might not sell too well, but Accurascale did say "business case" so clearly would do N gauge if they could find  th model that will generate a profit, profit means moe money to invest back into new ranges so its a win win 

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Ed-farms said:

We can all wishlist here and suggest stuff that might not sell too well, but Accurascale did say "business case" so clearly would do N gauge if they could find  th model that will generate a profit, profit means moe money to invest back into new ranges so its a win win 

So wagons and coaches first I imagine, and as Fran said, stuff in the OO range not blue sky (yet).

Mk2s and Coal hoppers

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

i would rather see something new rather than a  anther version of something we already have 

for me the siphon G and 21 and 24.5 ton coal wagons would be a must for me 

John 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

With the 37 I look at it like this. Yes, a lot of people already have a Farish 37 and yes, most of those people will be happy with them. But a lot of people, many of whom are probably not already in that oft touted number of 15-20% of OO vs N might look at it and say no, I'm not going to model N Gauge because the Farish 37 isn't up to modern standards, and those potential N Gauge Modellers are lost to another scale.

Then there is the issue of progress. N Gauge would not be where it is today if Bachmann had not bought the Graham Farish range way back in 2001 and invested heavily in new, reliable chassis. It would not be where it is if Dapol had not entered the market and forced Bachmann to up their game again with better detail. It would not be where it is if Revolution hadn't arrived on the scene with a new way of getting models on to modellers layouts that otherwise would never have seen the light of day. Progress happens, without it we'd all still be buying chunks of metal that vaguely resemble a locomotive running on pizza cutter wheels (Although I'm sometimes left wondering if some N Gauge modellers would be happy if we went back to that!) If N Gauge is to progress and grow it needs to keep up with developments and standards in other RTR scales, not wallow in a stagnant world of that'll do. 

I suspect Accurascale entering the N Gauge market could well be exactly what it needs to make that next jump in progress and kickstart growth in the scale. 

Tom.  

Edited by TomE
  • Like 4
  • Agree 10

Well I'd love a class 29 but wouldn't imagine it's a sensible toe in the water model.

If we're talking wagons I'd  love an OTA

If we're talking about shrinking something in the OO range then that means duplication although there are variations not offered in N as others have said. If choosing between 31, 37, 50 and 55 I'd look at 37 or 55 purely because of the lack of a sound upgrade in N. Of course they could be, and probably are in someone's  pipeline but, such is the enthusiasm for your models from the OO fraternity, and your reputation that I suspect most of us n gaugers would stick with you if someone else announced at a later date. Suspect it's the 37, with so many current untooled options that would stand duplication better. For me I'd like to see Scottish split nose or later DRS. Not all of the Scottish ones had the extra headlamp in a precarious position

Rob

On 14/02/2023 at 13:27, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Ed-farms,

We've had a fair few requests for some of our models in N gauge, including Mark 2s. So, with that in mind, we will listen to suggestions. Let's keep it in the realm of realistic for now and keep it to this;

What item(s) in our current OO gauge would you like to see done in N and why? If we can make a business case then we will look at it.

Although we not released N gauge models under the Accurascale banner, we have done some for Realtrack and Revolution as some of you may know. 

Any future model would be under the Accurascale banner should we decide to embark on a 2mm odyssey. 

So, the floor is yours!

Cheers!

Fran 

I'd be curious to go the other way, create 18.83mm track but with relaxed OO finescale standards and not the tight tolerances of P4/EM. Code 82/83 flat bottom rail or code 75 Bull head. Peco already make the 83 FH & 75 BH.

keep the same radius profiles as OO, so you can still have the same size layouts?

you could call it H4 or AO (Accura O)

Edited by Dorset33

1 hour ago, Dorset33 said:

you could call it H4 or AO (Accura O)

Or M4 for (meh tolerances in 4mm)

Why invent another gauge though?  American 00 already exists with 19mm track at 4mm, so if anything embrace that.  Or not (preferably not)... we don't need Accurscale going dolally on us...

Edited by frobisher

On 15/02/2023 at 18:39, Flying Pig said:

Well there are at least two of us.

Make that three. I've never liked the etched roof grille on the Dapol 66.

To be honest, I've never really studied the Accurascale range all that closely until now. Having done so, though, I'd say that there are several things that would be nice - I'd be sore tempted by the chance to replicate the inter-regional trains of my youth, which would mean a Class 50 in LLB and non-aircon Mark 2s - but the only things there that I could definitely say I'd shell out for would be the MHAs. I'd be up for 15-20 of those.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, frobisher said:

Or M4 for (meh tolerances in 4mm)

Why invent another gauge though?  American 00 already exists with 19mm track at 4mm, so if anything embrace that.  Or not (preferably not)... we don't need Accurscale going dolally on us...

I didn’t know that, thanks

On 16/02/2023 at 17:52, woodenhead said:

Despite what we might be asking, I am sure Accurascale are just playing with us here, they already know what will fly and what won't.

They're not exactly new boys on the block anymore.

Not sure they are actually "playing" but Accurascale have loads of nounce and a very good understanding of the market.  What they are actually doing, and doing very well is interacting with their marketplace and engaging with us. That is a huge plus and engenders a good feeling in my view.  You don't see many model manufacturers who go out to their potential customers in ths manner. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Not sure they are actually "playing" but Accurascale have loads of nounce and a very good understanding of the market.  What they are actually doing, and doing very well is interacting with their marketplace and engaging with us. That is a huge plus and engenders a good feeling in my view.  You don't see many model manufacturers who go out to their potential customers in ths manner. 

'Playing' in the sense that if they weren't serious about an N model they wouldn't be asking for opinions.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

'Playing' in the sense that if they weren't serious about an N model they wouldn't be asking for opinions.

Exactly.  Fran and co want to sell A models and B make a profit. 

If they know their marketplace and know they can achieve "B" whilst doing "A" then why wouldn't they ? 

From what I can see the company has set out with an amount of cash, designed and sold some modellers, designed more whilst taking on more staff.  The next wave of new items is on its way and there is significantly more to come.  The trick Fran needs to pull is to get all the design team locked into a workhouse for 25 hours a day, feed them gruel and get much more designed.  Sales will taqke car of themselves !!!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

We would only canvass opinions if we were serious about something. We have designed and made N gauge models for 3rd party outfits previously but now we would do them under our own branding. We also have a couple of die hard N gauge modellers in our ranks these days who are banging the drum internally. So, you guys have that going in your favour too! It will take time to develop of course, but having a healthy response will help persuade us. So, let your N gauge friends know to tell us what they would like to see too, under the premise of what is in our existing 4mm range.

Cheers!

Fran  

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 11