The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

"How has your day been so far?"

spikey

This morning I went to have my eyes tested, and upon entering the shop was dealt with initially by a fragrant young man with a pleasant manner and a strange haircut.  He invited me to sit down at a desk, enquired as to the reason for my visit, and prepared to enter my details on his computer.  So far so good.  He then said "So how has your day been so far?".  This threw me.  With living the simple televisionless life that I do,  I had not met the question before when posed by a stranger, so all I could think of by way of reply was "Mustn't grumble".

How is one supposed to reply?  Do you say "Well, actually I got up a bit late, then had a bit of struggle with the lid of a new jar of marmalade which set me back a bit so I was late switching the kettle off before it filled the kitchen with steam, and after that it's just gone from bad to worse", or what?

Edited by spikey
the inevitable typo
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

People in retail are specially trained to catch introverts completely off guard and throw us into an anxiety attack.

Or sometimes people with anxiety asked trained questions like 'How has your day been?, Are you going on holiday this year? or a good old favourite 'What are your top ten....?'

Or maybe he was just being friendly.

I always answer 'fine', it's just not the done thing to spill the beans on the true mundaneness of our lives.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, spikey said:

This morning I went to have my eyes tested, and upon entering the shop was dealt with initially by a fragrant young man with a pleasant manner and a strange haircut.  He invited me to sit down at a desk, enquired as to the reason for my visit, and prepared to enter my details on his computer.  So far so good.  He then said "So how has your day been so far?".  This threw me.  With living the simple televisionless life that I do,  I had not met the question before when posed by a stranger, so all I could think of by way of reply was "Mustn't grumble".

How is one supposed to reply?  Do you say "Well, actually I got up a bit late, then had a bit of struggle with the lid of a new jar of marmalade which set me back a bit so I was late switching the kettle off before it filled the kitchen with steam, and after that it's just gone from bad to worse", or what?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, spikey said:

My answer would have been "Better than yours, I suspect.".

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, ardbealach said:

You should have told him that you were having a great day fettling your bogies.  I am sure he would then have been the one to have the embarrassing silence. (Alisdair)  

And he comes back with "GWR or LMS?"!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not sure what's wrong with a good old fashioned "How are you?" if necessary, something that's only really replied to with the same question.

If it's being a grumpy old man before my time to find this fake, overly-familiar "friendliness" creepy and inappropriate then I'm glad to be one.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, burgundy said:

I hope that you are not a farmer, as that reply would get you expelled immediately from the National Farmers' Union.

So true. I have a friend, Richard, English but farming in France. I think he and Anita have been here about 25 years. He said to me more than a decade ago that farmers are always complaining, as he was, having bought a tractor that wasn't quite what it was supposed to be. During that decade his fortunes have ebbed to the point where he now has another farm, while his son farms the first one. The 400 acres of the newer farm include a chateau that he has done up, and so they have a b&b business that commands 9.7 out of 10 on trip adviser. And there is a Porsche 911 cabrio in his garage. Farmers have a damned hard time of it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I get that question from scammers often.

I tell them that I was fine until you rang!

If I get a suspected scammer ringing up and asking "how are you today ?", my reply is invariably "suspicious".  I don't think this is on their list of expected replies.

Adrian 

• Like 2