TT:120 A4’s & Mallard

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Mallard just arrived and it’s running in but first impressions are as good as the A3. 
5203F13C-4BDD-4911-BC0A-B79F39D2835E.jpeg.de5f599ce0a23ba03e8000c8164b9e66.jpeg

The only thing that catches the eye are the safety valves which are a fraction over 2mm so that makes them 9-10” diameter. It looks similar to the Ian Beattie drawing so I assume that’s correct. 
50D1D2D8-3248-4857-95F5-EEAE469DCDBB.jpeg.eb4951c249abf7a1b9d1ebfdb0ff76c5.jpeg

Comparison with the A1/A3

18353BD9-A0DD-4B39-AE93-9182D6552C3F.jpeg.752f4d4da74e566c8609189bb07106ea.jpeg

We just need some teak coaches now :) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Capel said:

Looks great! Is the whistle on Mallard upside down, or is it designed as such?

Designed as such I guess as it’s identical to the Easterner set ones. To be honest it’s so small I think they made the plug bigger to hold it as a scale one would just snap off particularly as they keep saying these are primarily intended as trainset models for shall we say less sympathetic handling. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, RichardT said:

Unfortunately a lot of Ian Beattie’s drawings are not correct.

Richard

So are you saying the A4 drawing isn’t? As we’ve seen with models which original drawings you work off can make a big difference. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

So are you saying the A4 drawing isn’t? As we’ve seen with models which original drawings you work off can make a big difference. 

Yes, I’m pretty sure that the A4 drawing has errors - Tony Wright has pointed out several.  I know that his N2 drawing is wrong.  I’d get hold of the Isinglass drawings instead.  Or see if the NRM has the appropriate component drawing listed.

RichardT

Edited by RichardT

5 hours ago, RichardT said:

Unfortunately a lot of Ian Beattie’s drawings are not correct.

Richard

95% of folks buying the model who don't read RMWeb won't care.  It is vastly better than A4 models of even 10 years ago.  I strongly suspect a high proportion of Mallards will fly off to Europe, even with Brexit making selling into/out of the EU more difficult.

Les

Edited by Les1952
grammar
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Les1952 said:

95% of folks buying the model who don't read RMWeb won't care.

Good for them. I’m also not interested in Hornby direct sale only TT. However, the post I was responding to mentioned something matching the Ian Beattie drawing so it must be correct, and I was pointing out that Ian Beattie’s drawings aren’t to be relied on, just in case other modellers in any scale reading the thread were tempted to do so.

Richard

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, RichardT said:

Good for them. I’m also not interested in Hornby direct sale only TT. However, the post I was responding to mentioned something matching the Ian Beattie drawing so it must be correct, and I was pointing out that Ian Beattie’s drawings aren’t to be relied on, just in case other modellers in any scale reading the thread were tempted to do so.

Richard

Lacking the skills (through being mildly dyspraxic) to make a good enough job of engine building to satisfy myself with the result, I'm never going to have to rely on Ian Beattie's drawings, or those of anyone else for that matter.  Having tried to get hold of copies of the original drawings for J67 and J69 from the NRM collection I discovered that there are classes (this being one) for which no definitive drawing exists that covers even a majority of locos- in this particular case locos were built in batches of ten, and no batch was identical to the preceding one as parts were upgraded almost constantly.  Anyone trying to make a class drawing for modellers might hit a particular sub-set of the class on a particular day.  

That also probably explains in the case of the J67/J69 why no manufacturer has made a ready-to-run model of the class, apart from the early Graham Farish one in N, which looked something like a J69 but had a mechanism that was so poor it made the body almost stunning....

Les

Who in the past has built complete loco kits that even ran, but wouldn't attempt one now.

Edited by Les1952
typos...
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

The only thing that catches the eye are the safety valves which are a fraction over 2mm so that makes them 9-10” diameter. It looks similar to the Ian Beattie drawing so I assume that’s correct. 

For comparison:

IMG_4980.JPG.bf42b4ead74f51c2d06113729b104527.JPG

Edited by MikeTrice
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

17 hours ago, RichardT said:

Richard

It is true that Ian Beattie's drawings are not always entirely accurate

However it is extremely unlikely that Hornby have worked off Ian Beattie drawings 

They've made A4s before - rather more often than one or two people on here from other parts of the country are happy about - and the current 4mm version has been given high praise by some very knowledgeable Eastern modellers. Margate doubtless have their own extensive sources of info for these locos. They might even have scanned one

So this is pretty well certain to be two independent sources agreeing , and if that happens we can say that agreement in error is very unlikely.  Mike Trice has put the matter beyond doubt with a photo, but it was always very likely that if the model matched the drawing then this wasn't one of Ian Beattie's occasional errors

• Like 1

On 18/02/2023 at 12:47, PaulRhB said:

Mallard just arrived and it’s running in but first impressions are as good as the A3. 

Looks fantastic.

Our of interest what rolling road is that and would you recommend it?

2 minutes ago, Stefen1988 said:

I hope the (for Wave 3 or 4) announced Gresley Coaches will include also the Main Line Variants.

I would assume that the Gresley coaches announced are 61' corridor coaches. Non-corridor stock is normally a second priority with Hornby in OO, and in any case they haven't announced anything suitable to pull non-gangwayed stock

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, andrewshimmin said:

Looks fantastic.

Our of interest what rolling road is that and would you recommend it?

It’s a Bachrus and will work from 9-32mm so superb but I don’t think they are made now as I can’t find any adverts in stock unfortunately. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 minutes ago, MikeTrice said:

Where has this been announced for TT:120?

In the lower depths of the brochure , where it's just grey bars and there are no T-numbers. LNER and BR Gresley Brake 3rd and Composite  (as well as Collett Brake 3rd, Composite, and Mk1 BG and SK or TSO) 

So phase 3/4

These bits of the brochure didn't get much attention at the time, because the scepticism about the whole venture was so strong that Phase 3/4 were largely dismissed as vapourware

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

On 18/02/2023 at 12:47, PaulRhB said:

I think the safety valves would be a lot less noticeable if they were grotty black- a bit like the prototype very quickly became....

Les

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/02/2023 at 09:50, Ravenser said:

In the lower depths of the brochure , where it's just grey bars and there are no T-numbers. LNER and BR Gresley Brake 3rd and Composite  (as well as Collett Brake 3rd, Composite, and Mk1 BG and SK or TSO) 

So phase 3/4

These bits of the brochure didn't get much attention at the time, because the scepticism about the whole venture was so strong that Phase 3/4 were largely dismissed as vapourware

I've fired off an email to Hornby seeking clarification on the Gresley carriages, including the diagram numbers they're modelling, because there were so many variants built.

• Friendly/supportive 1